The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum sounds in green day albums
Old 12th November 2009
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
jujumies's Avatar
 

Drum sounds in green day albums

Hi,

Lately I have been amazed by the deum sounds in green day albums (newest ones). Especially the drum ambience is amazing -obviously a great room...

Do you have an idea how the drums where recorded and mixed?

Simo / Studio Bad Mama
Studio Bad Mama
Old 12th November 2009
  #2
Pretty sure Ocean Way was where they tracked drums(could be wrong cause I wasn't part of it) you should search some of the butch vig forum about it.

Chris Lord-Alge mixed it so it's loud and proud.
Old 12th November 2009
  #3
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

I heard rumors they use Daking preamps as well, however I can not prove this.
Also we are talking about an amazing drummer with a cool style.
Old 12th November 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
gurubuzz's Avatar
There is a whole thread on it in the Butch Vig Q and A straight from the horses mouth....
Old 12th November 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
gurubuzz's Avatar
Sorry it was this thread, the one that made Butch Vig come to Gearslutz

New Green Day
Old 12th November 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

yeah ok drum sound
but Green Day are a joke
like come on seriously,
Old 12th November 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
ryst's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
yeah ok drum sound
but Green Day are a joke
like come on seriously,
The OP didn't ask for your opinion on the drum sound or your opinion on Green Day. He asked for info on how the drums where recorded and mixed. "Like, come on seriously."
Old 12th November 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
yeah ok drum sound
but Green Day are a joke
like come on seriously,
uh oh.........
Old 12th November 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumies View Post
Hi,

Lately I have been amazed by the deum sounds in green day albums (newest ones). Especially the drum ambience is amazing -obviously a great room...

Do you have an idea how the drums where recorded and mixed?

Simo / Studio Bad Mama
Studio Bad Mama

the drums do sound killer. One of the few bands out now with the
larger than life drum sound. Good gtr tone too
Old 12th November 2009
  #10
Registered User
 

Yes the drum samples that CLA uses are killer!
Old 12th November 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
Yes the drum samples that CLA uses are killer!
nice, I guess that explains why I like the sound.
Old 13th November 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 
colinmiller's Avatar
 

Most every song CLA mixes seems to have a beautiful room sound on the drums (I'm sure many disagree). I can't imagine all of them come from great rooms. There must be some that come in with rooms too small or too big. Anyone know if he uses a certain type of ambiance added in to make sure the room is pretty consistently good?

I am always searching for different methods or creating room ambiance for the many projects where the recorded room simply doesn't cut it. I try to sample ever room I work in to add it to my IR library.
Old 13th November 2009
  #13
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
Yes the drum samples that CLA uses are killer!
If that's the case, why is it so hard to get drums that sound as good as those on the last two Green Day records? I agree that samples are a part of that sound, but they aren't a magic bullet. They are just one additional tool after you've already got a great drummer on a great kit that has been tuned well in a great room etc etc etc...
Old 13th November 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
gurubuzz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
yeah ok drum sound
but Green Day are a joke
like come on seriously,
Yeah he's right Britney Spear's Drum sound craps all over Green day..
{sarcasm - ok}
Old 13th November 2009
  #15
Gear Nut
 

If you're referring to the latest album - 21st Century Breakdown, rockitrecordings was right, they tracked it in Ocean Ways Studio A - JJP's old room with the Focusrite Console. Not sure what gear they used or what pre's. But it does have that "Ocean Way" sound.

The drums do sound consistently good - as do all of CLA's drums.
Old 13th November 2009
  #16
Gear Addict
 
svart's Avatar
 

Quote:
They are just one additional tool after you've already got a great drummer on a great kit that has been tuned well in a great room etc etc etc...
Maybe I'm confused..

If you have a great drummer on a great kit that has been tuned well in a great room etc etc.. Why do you need to add samples to the sound? If it was "great" all around it wouldn't need samples..

Old 13th November 2009
  #17
I hear very good samples, a pseudoambience (eg. reverb tails).

I think this is where part of the CLA magic is. getting your reverb tails right, use good samples, mix most of the stuff mono and add pseudo stereo FX, to get it work on kitchen radios, ipods and PA systems.
Old 13th November 2009
  #18
Gear Nut
 

^^ agree ^^

Part of the other secrets, start in the chain - a good drummer - good mics, good signal path, good pre's, good A/D converters. During mixing - good D/A conversion, killer compressors, good monitors, good room - great ear

I think you will find this enjoyable.
Old 13th November 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
DrFrankencopter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody Murakami View Post
I think you will find this enjoyable.
Wow...look at all the gain reduction going on! Bury those meters.

Cheers

Kris
Old 13th November 2009
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Mike Brown's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
yeah ok drum sound
but Green Day are a joke
like come on seriously,
The thing to keep in mind around these parts is whose posts sound like they are "Fans" and whose posts sound like they are "professionals"... I think the difference is pretty stark in this thread.

Anyways,

I think some posters in this thread are not seeing the forest for the trees:

Its pretty hard to **** up this combination: Great player, great drums, great room. I bet you could throw an omni condenser ANYWHERE in that room with that combination and its going to sound pretty god damn good.

But as always, true EXCELLENCE is in the details.

Great samples, great room mics, great reverb, great tracking, great mixing.
Old 13th November 2009
  #21
I know that video

Ive heard greatitb mixes or hybrid. Its just a matter of the technique.

I suck.. So
Old 13th November 2009
  #22
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 View Post
The thing to keep in mind around these parts is whose posts sound like they are "Fans" and whose posts sound like they are "professionals"... I think the difference is pretty stark in this thread.

Anyways,

I think some posters in this thread are not seeing the forest for the trees:

Its pretty hard to **** up this combination: Great player, great drums, great room. I bet you could throw an omni condenser ANYWHERE in that room with that combination and its going to sound pretty god damn good.

But as always, true EXCELLENCE is in the details.

Great samples, great room mics, great reverb, great tracking, great mixing.
I dont know was that a dig at me being fan or a pro..which i didnt say i was either
just said the drums do sound ok..but they do sound good but like said it would hard not to sound good
Just the whole Green Day thing is a bit tiring now..that my opinion..
Old 13th November 2009
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Mike Brown's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
I dont know was that a dig at me being fan or a pro..which i didnt say i was either
just said the drums do sound ok..but they do sound good but like said it would hard not to sound good
Just the whole Green Day thing is a bit tiring now..that my opinion..
And thats a "fan" perspective. Nothing inherently wrong with that.
Old 13th November 2009
  #24
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

im a fan of Green Day?
that would be hard seeing as i dont own or ever listened to there records
Talk Talk yep
Green Day nope
Old 13th November 2009
  #25
Gear Addict
 
pearldrum944's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
im a fan of Green Day?
that would be hard seeing as i dont own or ever listened to there records
Talk Talk yep
Green Day nope


Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumies View Post
Hi,

Lately I have been amazed by the deum sounds in green day albums (newest ones). Especially the drum ambience is amazing -obviously a great room...

Do you have an idea how the drums where recorded and mixed?

Simo / Studio Bad Mama
Studio Bad Mama
Also,

This is a quote from Chris Dugan on gearslutz about what was used on the drums, "I used to be a 57 top snare mic kind of guy but now use the new Telefunken M80. It has a nice less hat bleed and nice top end. B52 and a U47fet in the Kick, and ns10. C12a's on the tom top heads and 414's on the bottoms. A pair of M50's, RCA77's, a stereo Royer, and a 251 in the room."

I think the OH's were also 251's. I have an m-80 but have yet to try it on snare, I think I will give it a go tomorrow.
Old 13th November 2009
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Mike Brown's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
im a fan of Green Day?
that would be hard seeing as i dont own or ever listened to there records
Talk Talk yep
Green Day nope
You are missing the point.
Old 13th November 2009
  #27
Gear Addict
 
ButchVig's Avatar
 

Just to get a few of the details right, the drums were tracked at Oceanway Studio B. Mike Fasano was the drum tech, and between Tre and him we had an amazing collection of drums to choose from. As far as sampling goes, CLA does add some samples to the overall sound if he feels it helps the mix. But most of the ambience on the drums comes from the room mics, you can really hear the sound of Oceanway B in the songs.

One more note, I think Chris Dugan mentioned this, when we are ready to track a song we get Tre to record individual drum hits, so some of the samples CLA used were actually Tre's drums.

Also, if we felt there was a lot of hi hat bleed in the snare track (Tre hits like a mofo) Chris Dugan would sometimes replace the top snare mic with a sample of the same snare drum, except the drums fills. It would really clean up the hat bleed in the song.
Old 13th November 2009
  #28
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
Just to get a few of the details right, the drums were tracked at Oceanway Studio B. Mike Fasano was the drum tech, and between Tre and him we had an amazing collection of drums to choose from. As far as sampling goes, CLA does add some samples to the overall sound if he feels it helps the mix. But most of the ambience on the drums comes from the room mics, you can really hear the sound of Oceanway B in the songs.

One more note, I think Chris Dugan mentioned this, when we are ready to track a song we get Tre to record individual drum hits, so some of the samples CLA used were actually Tre's drums.

Also, if we felt there was a lot of hi hat bleed in the snare track (Tre hits like a mofo) Chris Dugan would sometimes replace the top snare mic with a sample of the same snare drum, except the drums fills. It would really clean up the hat bleed in the song.
Hi Butch, Oceanway in LA? Nashville? Do you use stock console pres to track? or outboard? thanks in advance
Old 13th November 2009
  #29
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svart View Post
Maybe I'm confused..

If you have a great drummer on a great kit that has been tuned well in a great room etc etc.. Why do you need to add samples to the sound? If it was "great" all around it wouldn't need samples..

As Confirmed by BV post above - I you want a sound like that you NEED to use samples.
Old 13th November 2009
  #30
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
Hi Butch, Oceanway in LA? Nashville? Do you use stock console pres to track? or outboard? thanks in advance
LA

Also - my bad, I thought it was tracked in Studio A.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump