The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Xmas presents suggestions
Old 12th November 2009
Xmas gift suggestions

Well, it's that time of year and my in-laws / friends have asked me what I want for Christmas. I told them I don't want anything (as I usually buy anything I want myself when I've waited a while for it) but they refused to not get me anything. They've also refused to get me gift cards to anywhere.

Go figure.

So I figured maybe they can buy me some audio gear / software I could use?

Any suggestions? I need suggestions in the LOW END category (Sub $70)

First thought was a Behringer ECM8000 Mic to test my newly built room (not a Behringer fan, but it's cheap and it works well enough per Ethan W.)

I need a few things so they can pick and choose what they want to get.
Old 12th November 2009
How about a nice book like the Master Handbook of Acoustics (F Alton Everest) or Mastering Audio (Katz), or even Recording the Beatles? Not sure if that's under $70 though.

or... SM57/drum dial/guitar pedals etc... probably mostly over $70 too. I say ask for books
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

are you like 5 years old?

kidding.
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.Vega III View Post
How about a nice book like the Master Handbook of Acoustics (F Alton Everest) or Mastering Audio (Katz), or even Recording the Beatles? Not sure if that's under $70 though.

or... SM57/drum dial/guitar pedals etc... probably mostly over $70 too. I say ask for books
Handbook of Acoustics (F Alton Everest) - Have it
Mastering Audio (Katz) - Have it.

Recording the Beatles? Don't Have it. I'll look into it to if it's a possible suggestion.

Already have a '57, don't play drums or guitar, but good suggestions.
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelmossobrien View Post
are you like 5 years old?

kidding.
:P

Nope, not quite... even though I do enjoy being as young as my wife lets me get away with.

Just trying to get the communities view point. I think it's nice that my family / friends even want to get me anything for xmas this year. It's been a tough year all around. Luckily the wifey has been getting small presents all year round to help with presents this year.
Old 12th November 2009
Awesome, keep it up!
Old 12th November 2009
This one is both entertaining and somewhat educational, it gives you a new look at the industry's development (and that some thing go i circles, and new conflicts aren't neccessarily new...) It falls apart slightly towards the end, but well worth a couple of train rides:

Amazon.com: Perfecting Sound Forever: An Aural History of Recorded Music (9780571211654): Greg Milner: Books

r,
j,
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

Christmas presents? That's something I get for other people. I don't think anyone has thought of getting one for me in years. If I'm lucky, my kids might join together to get me a $10 wallet, if I complain that mine is broken immediately before Christmas. My wife is always "hey, you know that transmission work you had done last spring, can that be your Christmas present?" And my other family members all think I'm going to pay their bills for them. I guess that's what I get for being the "lucky" guy in the family, although, they seemed to think the same thing when I didn't have any money, too. Frickin' miserable mooches ...
Old 12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

Cable ties. Don't lie to yourself, you probably need some... and WELL within the $10 wallet margin
Old 13th November 2009
lol, I have plenty of zip ties I use as cable ties, but good idea for those that are on a super budget.
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

Cables
Mic stands
Some of the Sony stuff (Vegas, Sound Forge, and Acid) comes in a cheap version.
Sweetwater has a gift guide, including price ranges. Might give you some ideas.
Old 13th November 2009
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgizmo View Post
First thought was a Behringer ECM8000 Mic to test my newly built room (not a Behringer fan, but it's cheap and it works well enough per Ethan W.)
That only works for Ethan after you've spent 98% of your budget on "traps" to get your room clamped down like a sarcophagus.

Maybe some Shure barrel pads a15as or a nice bottle of Booker's bourbon
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Bottle of Rebel Yell

and a 7-port USB hub (for all the damn dongles, midi and controller devices, hard drives, etc. Come to think of it- another hard drive. Moon Gel stocking stuffer with some extra picks and a labelmaker.

Mid-range: make it a bottle of Knob Creek, a baby intercom so your wife doesn't have to yell at you for hiding out in your Man Cave and a Zoom H4n to do all that "pre-production" before you get---

High-range: 2 bottles of Pappy Van Winkle, a Steinberg MR816csx and a Crane Song Spider.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'd ask for some nice tubes - New Sensor Mullards - or maybe some Weber Blue Dog speakers or some project specific transformers.

But that's just me.

Honestly, think of what you like. Think of what you need. Think of what you'd buy yourself. Then ask for that.

Anything else is probably just going to be a trivial novelty.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nice Capo (if you play guitar)

Lava Lamps (goes with any studio)

Toy Piano (makes cool sounds this one might be 100 bux for a nice one tho)

Jews harp (nothing is quite like one)

Hohner melodica (another cool instrument that is fun to have laying around)

Nice Label maker (always comes in handy)

Cool pillow cases like these...
Urban Outfitters

Nice iPod earbuds (if you own one)

Subscription to Sound on Sound, Mix or First Class Tape Op.

New t shirts (can't have too many... Gearslutz shirt? Mercenary shirt?)

Nice guitar stands or wall hangers (again if you play)

Art from a local artist is always cool... Decorate your house and support your local art scene.

StrapLok system for your guitar (yep.. guess what I play?)

A nice bottle (or 2) of your favorite spirits is always nice.

Ask for a donation to NPR or a charity of your choice... You can choose from hundreds of organizations and it makes you feel good and look really good in front of your friends.

Tickets to an upcoming concert you want to see.. Good memories and a good night out with friends is better than most <$70 items

One of the coolest gifts I ever got was custom printed guitar picks with my old bands logo and name on them... they are pretty cheap and really cool if you play
In Tune Guitar Picks Home
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgizmo View Post
don't play guitar.
Ooops missed that bit. There goes half of my list.
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
That only works for Ethan after you've spent 98% of your budget on "traps" to get your room clamped down like a sarcophagus.
Well, I have trapped my room, but to a point where I'm not uncomfortable in it.

My man cave is dedicated as a mix room for the most part, so I'd like to know what deficiencies I have in it.
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodoc View Post
and a 7-port USB hub (for all the damn dongles, midi and controller devices, hard drives, etc. Come to think of it- another hard drive. Moon Gel stocking stuffer with some extra picks and a labelmaker.

Mid-range: make it a bottle of Knob Creek, a baby intercom so your wife doesn't have to yell at you for hiding out in your Man Cave and a Zoom H4n to do all that "pre-production" before you get---

High-range: 2 bottles of Pappy Van Winkle, a Steinberg MR816csx and a Crane Song Spider.
Well, I have H4N (I work a lot with video and needed a dedicated recorder), but the USB hub is actually a good idea, so is the label maker.

Yea, I'm going to already have baby monitor in my room (baby expecting within the next 5 weeks, technically due Dec 25th)

In regards to the Steinberg MR816csx / Crane Song... that's way out of anyone's range that I know.
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
Subscription to Sound on Sound, Mix or First Class Tape Op.
This is a good idea too. I needed to renew my subscription since it stopped about a year ago.

Keep the ideas coming.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
LOL! You gotta love Fletcher's humor

But, of course, you're absolutely right...
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Head

Eno's Oblique Strategies card set

pg
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear