The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Great River ME-1NV w/ FMR RNC or Channel Strip?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Great River ME-1NV w/ FMR RNC or Channel Strip?

Hi,
Looking for a nice pre and compressor for my son as a gift. He is doing voice over, and also recording vocals, electric guitar, and bass. Is it better to get an all in one channel strip where everything plays well together (such as- Avalon 737, UA LA-610) or is something like the GR and RNC a hot set up that works well together? Budget is about 1500.00. Saw the Aurora Audio stuff but too much $$$$. Lunchbox route was adding up to too much also. Any help would be great!
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

It'd be nice to know what kind of gear he already has. That way, you can identify a piece that would compliment his current setup nicely

I couldn't imagine him not completely enjoying a UA LA-610 though...
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
It'd be nice to know what kind of gear he already has. That way, you can identify a piece that would compliment his current setup nicely

I couldn't imagine him not completely enjoying a UA LA-610 though...

Thanks Ghetto
His room is treated with Sonex, using a MOTU right now, will want to bypass the pre in this. Other equipment is- Mac Book Pro running Logic Studio, has Apogee Mini DAC, and KRK VXT 8's. Mics- Shure SM7B, SM58, SM57, Studio Projects B1. The Pre/Comp will be on me, he is at school now testing out a mic upgrade.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would go with the great river+RNC. They are fantastic no compromise mic pres. I also love the RNC. Its not exactly in the same League as Great River but surprisingly good for nice clean gain reduction which could be good for voice over and pretty solid for music recording.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

The Me-1/RNC combination works great with my SM7b and even makes my B1 sound fairly decent - and should he get a nice ribbon or LDC someday you know it will work great with those too.
And the first time he plugs his bass into the Me-1NV's DI input you will know you made the right choice.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

Probably used Great river + FMR PBC6A
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Channel strips can be great fun, though.

Haven't used the LA-610, but with my Trident strip I can work the pre and post gain while further shaping a tasty tone with EQ and compression.........

Seems like that might be a good way to go for voice over work.
Old 12th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfont View Post
Hi,
Looking for a nice pre and compressor for my son as a gift. He is doing voice over, and also recording vocals, electric guitar, and bass.
What kind of mic does he have?

My very biased opinion would be a Safe Sound Audio P1:

-= Safe Sound Audio =-

which streets for half your budget and excels at these sources listed.

Either pocket the rest or grab a nice mic if he's using a sub standard one.

The mic will arguably make the bigger difference but getting both right = your best scenario.

War
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
What kind of mic does he have?

My very biased opinion would be a Safe Sound Audio P1:

-= Safe Sound Audio =-

which streets for half your budget and excels at these sources listed.

Either pocket the rest or grab a nice mic if he's using a sub standard one.

The mic will arguably make the bigger difference but getting both right = your best scenario.

War
Hi War, See post #3 for equipment list.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean0313 View Post
Probably used Great river + FMR PBC6A
Daily appreciated!
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

although the greatriver is great, not to big a fan of rnc.

although i feel the greatriver is more universal than a 610, for the overall combo i feel that one could accomplish better recordings with

the LA-610

a beauty of a piece and not overpriced.
Old 13th November 2009
Deleted User
Seems like a weird combo ...

You can oftentimes find used api 7600 for around 1700.

Otherwise, I would go with the Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5015.

World class preamp with a world class compressor.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

In this context I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts about a Langevin Dual Vocal Combo. Two channels, hi/lo eq, optical compressor. The preamps sound terrific in my Dual Mono mic pre - it's not the Great River, but I prefer it on a number of things. The mic pre doesn't have a lot of gain, but I would guess that with the compressor following it the DVC can handle most mics. I don't know the compressor but people seem to dig it.

I think someone was selling a DVC for less than 1300 bucks on this board.

Last edited by Brian Brock; 13th November 2009 at 03:02 AM.. Reason: definite article
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

I have Great Rivers, RNC, and Langevein DVC here (among many other toys...), so here is my take on those:
Great River is absolutly world class, I bring em in every studio I go and use em on every session. I would recommend those to anyone, I just can't see how you could not love these.
I think the DVC is one of the most underrated piece of gear out there. The pres are great on many source, but the limiter alone justifies the price of the box for me. I d'ont use the pres as often now, but the limiters are on every session. I often use em in my vocal chain with the Great River. They are transparent "set and forget" compressor, amazing on vocal tracking, and great on electric guitars and drum OH to. The thing I like about this box is that you can use the pres and comps togheter or not with the i/o options behind, and also you can link the comp to use it in stereo mode. So basicaly, you are buying 4 independent units! If I'm not mistaken, that is not the case with the 610, you can not use the comp with other pres or at mix... wich is a big turn out for me. That being said, for smooth vocals, sometimes the DVC with SM7 has to be cranked all the way up, and is not always quiet enough.

The RNC?... well... haven't plug mine in the past 2 years. I must say I don't get the hype on those... great piece to start with, but you'll want to upgrade pretty quickly.
Far from being in the same league as the great river at all.

Hope this helps.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_bro View Post
I have Great Rivers, RNC, and Langevein DVC here (among many other toys...), so here is my take on those:
Great River is absolutly world class, I bring em in every studio I go and use em on every session. I would recommend those to anyone, I just can't see how you could not love these.
I think the DVC is one of the most underrated piece of gear out there. The pres are great on many source, but the limiter alone justifies the price of the box for me. I d'ont use the pres as often now, but the limiters are on every session. I often use em in my vocal chain with the Great River. They are transparent "set and forget" compressor, amazing on vocal tracking, and great on electric guitars and drum OH to. The thing I like about this box is that you can use the pres and comps togheter or not with the i/o options behind, and also you can link the comp to use it in stereo mode. So basicaly, you are buying 4 independent units! If I'm not mistaken, that is not the case with the 610, you can not use the comp with other pres or at mix... wich is a big turn out for me. That being said, for smooth vocals, sometimes the DVC with SM7 has to be cranked all the way up, and is not always quiet enough.

The RNC?... well... haven't plug mine in the past 2 years. I must say I don't get the hype on those... great piece to start with, but you'll want to upgrade pretty quickly.
Far from being in the same league as the great river at all.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! The GR gets a lot of love here and as I read more it is for good reason, seems like a no brainer. It also looks like if you buy one used you can probably sell it for around the same price you buy it for, if need be. I will check out the DVC.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
I would go with the great river+RNC. They are fantastic no compromise mic pres. I also love the RNC. Its not exactly in the same League as Great River but surprisingly good for nice clean gain reduction which could be good for voice over and pretty solid for music recording.
Another vote +1
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

let's just say i'd the be the happiest person in the world if my father bought me a GR preamp haha.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I have a pair of LA610's and a River Mp-2NV. I love the 610's but the River seems more versatile to me. I have the older silver face 610's and have used them as stand alone compressors by way of the line in's. They work great as a compressor. IMO stand alone pieces work better than combination, (channel strips), units.

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
+100

i'm using this exact combination. RNC only does a little bit 1 - 2dB gain reduction at most, as a "safety net". i like how it does its thing, but still leaves me options at mixdown. i do definite (more severe) compression ITB with plugs.

all my voiceover artists and singers comment how great their vocal sounds on this setup. and i don't have a high end mic at all. i'm using an old 414.

it also works fantastic as a instrument pre.. i recorded some clean guitars and bass thru it HI-Z input. sometimes i put a GSSL in series, instead of RNC, if i need more colour from my tracking compression setup. thats 1 out of 10 situations.

if my work could justify sucha setup, i'd gladly have 4 channels or more.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Head

You mentioned voice over first on the list. Is that the primary use for this setup? If so i'd recommend NOT getting the Great River. Don't get me wrong I have one and it's a really fantastic pre, but I've not found a single situation in which i preferred it over a Millennia HV-3 for voice over. For singers/lead vocals it's literally the exact opposite every time though. The differences are not subtle to my ear.

If your son is doing voice overs for work, then you're better off prioritising the gear purchase toward that. Get him to make some cash from VO work then he can buy his own Great River. (alternatively buy him the Great River and tell him to write a #1 hit). :D

Warren's recommendation of the Safe Sound P1 would be better for VO, its a fairly transparent pre with a comp. The John Hardy M1 is also generally recommended for VO. Either way the mic is still going to be a far more important factor though.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

The Great River is an amazing mic pre!!!!! I have never tried the RNC in conjunction with the GR, however I will have to give that a try. The GR can sound great on every source you feed it, just get the GR and thank everyone that helped you out, not to mention your son will be very greatful. Greatful for Great River!
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Ok, very interesting thread for me. I have an Great River ME-1NV. Don't need to be sold on that. Also have the RNC, but looking for a bit higher end, more versatile Compressor to track with. The Portico 5015 looks intersting in that it goves another pre and it looks as though (someone who knows please correct me here) ..you can send a clean uncompressed signal to one track and conpressed signal to another via the Output and Compressor output. That woudl be cool. So anyone ?

Marry by ME-1NV to:
Portico
Drawmer 1968
SSL Channel strip

The applications wouldbe mostly ...
Fretless bass
Acoustic Guitar
Electric Guitar Vocals
Flute
Vocals

thanks
cdlt
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Have you considered the DBX 160XT compressor to go with the Great River? imo bang for the buck its one of the best compressors out there.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Maybe check out that Mike-E? Looks like a really sweet compressor on that one.

I owned and loved the Great River (miss it). One of the best no doubt. I liked the RNLA in the insert of the GR. I bought the DVC but didn't have good luck w/it so I returned it.

Can't go wrong w/the GR, but I would be REALLY curious to hear that Mike-E. You get a NICE comp and most likely a great pre/DI and it's a full rack unit. Not a 1/2 rack like the GR is.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear