The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Goin to USA 2010! Someone help? Gear trip :D
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Goin to USA 2010! Someone help? Gear trip :D

So now that the AES dates have been released (4-7th of nov for anyone who doesn't want to look) I need to start planning flights and accommodation and stuff so i can work out how much money i need, and so i can get it out of the way.

Just wondering if anyone can point me towards some good accomodation for LA and SF thats close to everything. Looking to attend the conference in SF and then buy gear in LA. Really just not sure where to go or how to go about things.

So on that note... i don't need to know for ages but can anyone recommend stores to go to to get some gear, i'm looking at getting stuff like the ubk fatso, distressor, c414s and some other bits of pieces, aphex maybe etc. I'm gonna go to the AES convention first to see if anything else takes my fancy.

Oh and for those who are going, why are you planning so early! Its so i can work out how much i need, save, and then book it all.
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehGuitarist View Post
i'm looking at getting stuff like the ubk fatso, distressor, c414s and some other bits of pieces, aphex maybe etc.
I think UBK Fatso's are sold exclusively and directly from the the builder (here is here on GS). Distressors/c414s can pretty much be had from any number of internet retailers - and from many shops in LA including Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc...

The cool places to go in LA are probably the guitar and boutique shops - Future Music is Highland Park is AMAZING... there's a row of stores by the flagship Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd... and of course there's True Tone in Santa Monica for guitars/pedals/amps... and McCabes too in Santa Monica for more Acoustic-ish guitars.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Well i'm in the market for anything, so any pointers on where abouts to look for accomodation thats close to all these places? Also does vintage king actually have a physical store, always got confused with that one.

Another one i should ask, how much should i put away for cabs?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios View Post
I think UBK Fatso's are sold exclusively and directly from the the builder...

Au contraire mon frére, UBK Fatso's are available thru any dealer who carries Wave Distribution products (Elysia, ELI, Burl etc...).

73 dealers, 24 states, 19 countries.

Wave Distribution: Products

I do also sell direct as well... for the discriminating slut. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Don't forget to put money aside for import duty!

My sister used to live in Oz and her ex-husband, due to the nature of his work, had access to the warehouses in which they stored the stuff that people brought back from abroad but then could not or would not pay the duty on. They had everything there: From Lamborghinis to bicycles!
The deal used to be that if a similar product is produced in Australia the import duty is 100% ie any car except off-roaders incurs 100% import duty. Might have changed by now but it would be prudent to inform yourself prior to buying anything abroad!
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah i did look into that, it looks like audio equipment and microphones run from about 5-10% if over $1000... unfortunately i seem to be looking at alot of things over 1k.
Anything else i need to keep in minds, i know you've gotta tip people with taxis and stuff.

Is it true that most of your advertised prices don't include tax? Or are these lies i'm being fed.

And thankyou Gregory! You will have a sale in a years time :P
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear