The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tested various microphones against the U87!
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

Dude, I get work done with a sm57 through Wunder pres. Don't think so much. You have a VERY good mic and world class pre. Anything not sounding good is pilot error! Make music!

Enjoy
Old 7th August 2009
Gear Maniac

<Now that I am in the statosphere of high end equipment, I am back to square one asking myself whether I did not go insane by testing all these pre-amps and never comparing microphones. For a moment I even believed the KSM-32 drove me down this road as perhaps a "better" microphone would have made the 1272 sound as good as a 1073. These are just thoughts.>

It probably wasn't the equipment that did it.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear
If a KSM32 sounds to your ears like the right choice for a certain source, then it is.

What difference does someone e;se's opinion make, unless that other person is the artist, producer, or someone else paying the bill?

Waiting for someone to validate your opinions is a huge waste of time, and geberally bad for your self esteem.
Old 8th August 2009
My opinion is only as good as the number of tests I make using various equipement. I have not tested any microphone other than the KSM-32 and I wanted to know how much I'm missing out on.
Old 8th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valver View Post
IMHO,
the 57 of condensers (in a solid / utilitarian way) ...
I could do a record using only KSM32s
I think this is a great way to put it... never heard it sound bad on anything, though there are certainly mics that will sound better for a particular instrument or voice.
Old 8th August 2009
Lives for gear

I've had 2 for awhile.. the first one for years.. I like them on most things.. But never had much like with Gtr amps.. I liked the AT4047 with Royer better..

But the KSM32 worked for overheads but I used them more for Room mics and on vocals.

Few years ago I did an album..The male vocals were cut at my place and Q Division MA.

The vocals cut at my place across his album were cut with the KSM32, U95, Royer 121.. Different tunes with different color. But most of his vocals were cut with the KSM32 I believe..

Now at Q Division they used a M49 on I think 2 tunes.. His vocals sounded great.
I mixed that record and both he and I couldn't remember when mixing what mic was which... They sounded great for the tunes they were used on..

I remember a few of the tunes now.. But not sure of all... And I'd dare anyone to point out which is the KSM32 or M49 or even U95.. They are mixed and tones fit the tunes...all that matters. But for me it really said a lot about the KSM32.

Now the Royer is used on 2 tunes for vocals.. That is the only one that is easy to pic out of course.. For it's color. But that was supposed to happen.
Old 8th August 2009
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujufactory View Post
The KSM-32 is a Shure classic and has been around for a long time.

The opinions on this microphone are so different depending on who you ask, that I wanted to get a greater range of opinions on this forum.

Here is what one person said on this forum:

"The Shure KSM 32 is a cheap mic... and not only that but its not a good mic...... the actual tones that the mic produces will not change a whole lot between different pre-amps. The mic is likely designed with people in mid who only want to spend 150 euros on a pre amp."

Here is what another person said:

"The KSM 32 is a great mic that will sound good to great on almost any voice."

Obviously these two opinions are in total oposition.

What do other people think about the KSM-32?
I don't know what you would consider a long time. It hasn't been around THAT long. Not even 20 years. Just under 10 I think.

It is not a large diaphragm mic. It isn't a small either. So, in that context, it is a good mic. I used to have multiples of all of the KSM line. They were great general purpose mics. Most people do not like them because they are neutral and not colored. There are many pro studios with multiples of them in use. They are a good place to start.
Old 9th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 View Post
I believe the capsule is different and the KSM 27

I THINK the KSM27 and the KSM44 share the same capsule.... but the 44 has the different polar patterns and pad and rolloff.

I don't know about the capsules for sure.. just telling you what my ears say... but i DO know about the pad and roll off and features.

KSM32 is a favorite of mine. I prefer it over the 44.
Thanks Mayor999.

Cheers for the info.
Old 18th September 2009
SHURE KSM 32 vs NEUMANN TLM 103 vs KEL HM7U vs BEYER MC834

SHURE KSM 32 vs NEUMANN TLM 103 vs KEL HM7U vs BEYER MC834

I started testing all four. So far if I had to rate them from best to worst I would rank them as follows:

1) NEUMANN TLM 103
2) SHURE KSM 32
3) BEYER MC834
4) KEL HM7U

This is just with a preliminary test using a Brent Averill 1073 pre amp.

I will do more tests. But does anybody here have opinions on these microphones and would you agree with my ratings?
Old 18th September 2009
Lives for gear

I have no experience with the KEL or the Beyer but i have a TLM and i've used the Shure a number of times. I would def agree that the TLM is a notch better, although the Shure is a great mic for the money.

Without fail, a handful of people will appear in this thread and knock the crap out of the TLM. But do not let them fool you. It is an exceptionally quiet, good sounding mic. It works great for lots of singing voices and it makes a good instrument mic as well. I recently used mine to record some xylophone on a sort of jazz/fusion piece, and i was so impressed with the sound i couldnt believe it!

Yes, the TLM does have a bit of a hyped top-end, but really, i find it to be pretty useful a lot of the time. IMHO, it's hyped sort of in a saucy, good way, not in a brittle, harsh way like a lot of the cheap LDC's on the market today.

FWIW i have a whole locker full of nice mics. I would recommend mics that i find to be better than the TLM103 but they are not on your list, and cost more than what you are probably looking to spend.

I've always wanted to try out that Beyer MC834, but so far, i have not had the chance.
Old 18th September 2009
Gear Nut

hi!
i'm seriously interested in this, i was looking for a new mic (i'm selling my at4050s)
and i have a similar pre in character

i've always thought Beyer 834 and Neumann 103 in another league then the
other two.
i heard Neumann 103, it has detail but somehow i don't like it.
i heard just a few samples of Beyer 834. it seems to me it has less depth than the TLM 103, but i felt it has a more solid sound. i was wondering how it could handle analog compression and EQ.

i think this comparison lacks of other 2 great mics under 1k€, At4050 and Gefell Mt71
i like Gefell MT71 so much more than the TLM103.
Old 18th September 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b View Post
Yes, the TLM does have a bit of a hyped top-end, but really, i find it to be pretty useful a lot of the time. IMHO, it's hyped sort of in a saucy, good way, not in a brittle, harsh way like a lot of the cheap LDC's on the market today.
I read somewhere (when it first came out) that the TLM103 is supposed to be Neumann's "poor man's U87". And yeah, at first I was bothered by its overhyped top end. And then I soon learned where this sound is good and where this mic shoudn't be tried at all.

There isn't one mic that would fit every application. But in general I find the KSM32 to be more flexible than the TLM103.
Old 18th September 2009
I started off with a KSM-32 and felt I would never know what I have until I compared it. That is why my dealer sent me these other microphones. You know what? The KSM-32 holds up to any of these without problem. In fact I did not know how good the KSM 32 was until now. The one thing I can say about the TLM 103 is that is seems to have clearer "S" sounds whereas on the Shure they are a bit more muffled. The Beyer MC834 has very very smooth sound but less high end than the others. The KEL HM7U appears to be the most electronic sounding and therefore the least natural albeit it does have a lot of brightness. On average if you consider all these differences the KSM-32 is really as they say the all around best average... in excels in nothing yet does it all. It's difficult to describe but I'm not sure I will switch. More tests are comming up. I yet have to test these with female voices and music. This said, the TLM 103 is really bright, sharp and beyond criticism.
Old 18th September 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
in excels in nothing yet does it all.
Old 25th September 2009
The test results are in. To my great surprise.... the KSM 32 wins. It has the smoothest sound. No harshness, no roughness, no agressive high end, no muffled sounds, no dullness.... it sound sounds smooth and clean. It will remain my workhorse and I non longer see a need to get another microphone. I have only praise for the KSM 32. Before I made these tests I did not know what I had. Now I know I can't go wrong using this microphone for virtually anything. It is a great great microphone. Rest assured I am not a Shure representative. This test really surprised me. Yet facts are facts. The microphone just sounds the smoothest in my tests.
Old 28th October 2009
Lives for gear

I have had my KSM-32 since August 1999. It is a great mic for overheads IMO.

Got two KSM-44 in January 2009 for overhead duties. They are much brighter than the 32's and I love then for that difference!

Thinking now about getting a second KSM-32 for overheads.

I always felt the 32's were too dull for acoustic guitars and vocals.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

John
Old 28th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz View Post
One of the finest female vocal recordings I've done and still enjoy to this day was cut with the KSM32/Vintech 1272.
I have also cut Female vox with the 32 and 1272. I liked it a lot!!
Old 28th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valver View Post
IMHO,
the 57 of condensers (in a solid / utilitarian way) ...
I could do a record using only KSM32s

ummm + about 3,000. this mic has been the "killer app" of my mic bag. works on just about anything. There are other mics that do certain things wonderfully (you know what they are), but the ksm32 does it all very well.

I love the KSM on acoustic gtr. Perhaps I should check out the 44 for that application.
Old 28th October 2009
Lives for gear

i have a pair of ksm 32's and whenever i find my not sure what mic to use on something that's what I grab, 99.9% of the time I think it's perfect!!
Old 28th October 2009
Lives for gear

The ksm 32 is a great mic to have and works really well on tons of sources. My favorite is drum overheads, it just works so well there for some reason. Also excellent on vocals. I hope its ok to quote teppai (I think is his screenname) They used the ksm32 for drum over heads and lead vox on Thrice's last album. Thats a pretty good endorsement to me. It won't make anything sound better than it is though, so if what you're recording sounds like crap, its still gonna sound like crap, and thats a big turn off for a lot of people.
Old 28th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
My opinion is only as good as the number of tests I make using various equipement. I have not tested any microphone other than the KSM-32 and I wanted to know how much I'm missing out on.
You're not missing out on anything if you don't know it...
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The KSM-32 is a Shure classic and has been around for a long time. The opinions on this microphone are so different depending on who you ask, that I wanted to get a greater range of opinions on this forum.
Here is what one person said on this forum:
"The Shure KSM 32 is a cheap mic... and not only that but its not a good mic...... the actual tones that the mic produces will not change a whole lot between different pre-amps. The mic is likely designed with people in mid who only want to spend 150 euros on a pre amp."
So, in conclusion we can say:

1) That 'what [that] one person said on this Forum' concerning the KSM32 was a broadly negative and ill-informed personal opinion that isn't reflected in the majority view

2) Microphones are such a personal taste anyway it's unwise to base your own opinions on those of others

In other words... the sky is blue.

Welcome to Gearslutz!
Old 6th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Does it make sense to use a 400 Euro KSM-32 with a 2200 Euros 1073?
I use mine with my Vintech X73i all the time. Like someone else mentioned, If you want it rounded, drive the pre a little.
Old 6th November 2009
Gear Nut

I have one and it works wonderfully on lots of sources...

except my voice.

The mic has a tendancy to boost around 2.5-3k which my voice is full of and it gets very very resonatey and needs alot of EQ-ing - my cheapo Studio Projects don't suffer this at all.

that said,- on guitar/female vocals it's lovely.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Old 11th November 2009
Tested various microphones against the U87!

I had a star singer come in today and wantd to play it safe so I rented a U87 just to be on the safe side.

When she arrived I tested the following microphones on her:

Neumann U87
Shure KSM-32
Neuman Berlin TLM 103
Beyer MC 834
KEM HM-7U

Well the Beyer came so close to sounding like the U87, one could almost think they're identical. Does anybody here know anything about the the Beyer microphone and how its reputation fares against these other models? Thank you.
Old 13th November 2009
Anybody out there?
Old 13th November 2009
Yes!

I have no idea re. that particular Beyer but was hoping to hear the samples from your test! The title sort of suggests it
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Are you referring to a current or vintage U87? Samples, please!
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I dont own a mc 834 and never heard one in action but.....

I have the mc 740.
mc834 supposed to be the cardioid version of the mc740.

I have test several times a U87 against the mc 740.

To my ears it has nothing to do with the U 87.

The only mic that comes close ,to my ears, to a U 87 is the At 4050.

Compare it 2 days ago to a male voice was much better than the U 87...for that voice of course.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Beyer MC834 has very very smooth sound but less high end than the others.
That's precisely what I love about that mic!
I'm surprised you prefered the TLM and the Shure over the Beyer.
I think the MC834 is a fantastic mic, I tested it against the Gefell MT71s and went for the
Beyer, it's very natural sounding, smooth highs , open , deep etc..
I thought the TLM103 was too bright and too hyped for my taste.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear