The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best use of equipment?
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

Best use of equipment?

Hello,

I am curious what the best way to utilize my gear is. The band i work for is a 6 piece metal fusion band. It consist of a drums, 2 guitars, bass, synth and samples, lead vocals, 2 back up vox. For FOH we use a CPM 32-4 mixer.

32 CH, 6 aux sends 4 Pre EQ, 2 Post, 2 aux returns, Master L/R, Mono, 4 sub buses. For rack gear we are limited. We have 1 dual Art 15 band EQ for L/R FOH. 1 Behringer dual 31 band EQ, 2 stereo DBX 166XL compressor/ limiter/ Gate. And for monitors we use both the CPM and a Mackie 1604 board. WE are limited on EQs and noise gates but its a personal system. The board also has 4 on board dynamic compressors patch-able to Ch's or the subs. Default ratio is 4:1. My question is how should i use the compressors and gates which would best suite me. All vocals are male and i was thinking sub them and compress they're sub. compress keys and bass seperate? and i was thinking use the 4 DBX XL's channels for drums ( kick and 3 toms) Use 1 EQ for FOH and the other for lead VOX monitor mix (feedback protection) and the other possible for another monitor mix or use it to sidechain kick gate or something?

Our board is capable of switching the PrE_EQ AUx's to post internally, if i did that would that help in cleaning up the monitor mixes since i dont have enough EQ's for each Mon. Mix.

Thanks
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear