The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Plug-In bang for the buck?
Old 11th November 2009
Best Plug-In bang for the buck?

I have been trying to expand my collection of software and I wanted everyones opinion!

I have some basics: Drumagog, Auto-Tune and all of the stock Digi stuff that came with LE 8.

I was shown a few plug in's recently that wowed me, one being the MASSEY TAPE HEAD (and all the massey stuff for that matter) and this API Collection from Waves.

The Massey I bought instantly because it was so affordable, but the API is damn expensive.
From what i've seen and read, most of the Waves stuff is amazing, and all of it is expensive.

What I want to know is, are there any other Massey affordable plug-in's out there that are just as usable and valuable?

Compressors, Reverbs, EQ's or anything!

Thanks
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

You'd have to get the FXPansion VST to RTAS wrapper, but the Stillwell Audio stuff is fantastic and cheap.

FXpansion - VST to RTAS Adapter v2.0
Stillwell Audio - It's About The Sound
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

imo the Liquid Mix 16 @ $199 is a bargain for some DSP powered eq/comp variety. After that, I'd suggest SoundToys but the price jumps.

Dan
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear
Paid 20 euro for nebula 2 I guess 1.5-2 years ago and library still expanding for free
Old 11th November 2009
I don't use many plugs, but of the ones I have, they are Stillwell, Kjaerhus, Voxengo, and from a guy named Jeroen Breebaart (sp?) They are all reasonably priced and high quality. Paritcularly on SONAR, they are all 64 bit floating point, so my whole setup is pure 64 bit float (other than when making trips out to hardware.)

Jeroen Breebaart | Home
Kjaerhus Audio - Professional Audio Plug-ins
VST plugins, AU plugins, Professional audio plugins - Voxengo
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I like the Sonalksis stuff the comp and EQ are very nice, and they are priced pretty reasonably IMO!

Sonalksis - Quality Digital Audio Software

Another +1 for the kjaerhusaudio stuff!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Honestly the most used plug-in that I use (sometimes one on every single audio and aux track) is the Sonalksis Free G. First of all, it's FREE! second, I cannot tell you how much this has made my mixes better, by controlling gain staging pre and post plugins. (Search for the thread, "Why analog mixes sound better than ITB mixes.")

So for bang for the buck, this is the one to get period. Other than that, I agree the Massey and Stillwell plugins are great!

UAD is nice, but pricey (this is mainly what I use)

Good luck in your hunt!
Old 11th November 2009
Here for the gear

I have no idea how Voxengo's plugin suite remains so unknown.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I don't use many plugs, but of the ones I have, they are Stillwell, Kjaerhus, Voxengo, and from a guy named Jeroen Breebaart (sp?) They are all reasonably priced and high quality. Paritcularly on SONAR, they are all 64 bit floating point, so my whole setup is pure 64 bit float (other than when making trips out to hardware.)

Jeroen Breebaart | Home
Kjaerhus Audio - Professional Audio Plug-ins
VST plugins, AU plugins, Professional audio plugins - Voxengo
I like the Stillwell Event Horizon and Verbiage a lot. Good stuff.
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe View Post
I have no idea how Voxengo's plugin suite remains so unknown.
And the same about Kjaerhus. His GEQ-7 and GCO-1 EQ and compressor are just super-flexible, nice sounding, stable workhorse plugs.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear
Faderworks

ns
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

The apis are indeed freaking good, tottally usable and great sounding.

I also love some of the stillwell plugs, vibe-eq is my go-to ..vibe eq, and rocket (always with some amount of impetus) always finds its place somewhere. AND they're not expessive.

Demo as much stuff as you can..
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Waves API is great and worth the money.
But I would have to go with anything McDSP!!
IMO the very best!!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

another for Sonalksis EQ/Comp.

also:

Reverb: IK Multimedia CSR - not too expensive.
EQ: API is definitely sweet - it's got color. / Abbey Road Mast EQ + Brilliance
Comp: Abbey Road TG / PSP Old Timer
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear
I've bought or demoed LOTS of plug-in compressors including all the UAD stuff and the TC electronics CL-1B. The newly released elysia mPressor blows them all away (and it's also a very good basic EQ). I didn't even know about the hardware this is based on before hearing the plug-in, but the plug itself is just incredible.

elysia*-*software*-*mpressor*-*introduction
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

LiquidSonics' Reverberate is a far clearer and more detailed convolution reverb than Altiverb to my ears, and supports true stereo operation with lots of modulation features. It costs 30 quid. But sadly, it does not currently support Pro Tools. No not even wrappered.

I think Logic is the best $500 you can spend on plugins!
Old 12th November 2009
Vum
Lives for gear

Massey L2007
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Some McDSP LE stuff and I love and using almost everytime Waves SSL , PSP Oldtimer and Breverb AudioMIDI.com.
Old 12th November 2009
How the Massey stuff could be beaten in a "bang for the buck PT plugin" competition I can't imagine!
Old 12th November 2009
All of these are great values and exactly the kind of info I have been looking for!

The Stillwell stuff looks to be right in my price range! haha

Of all the Stillwell any I should try first? I don't have a great compressor, *just the digi stuff* so maybe that?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Im hearing really good things about DSM - Dynamic Spectrum Mapper

Pro Audio DSP - Professional Audio Plugins - Audio Units, Pro Tools and VST for Mac and PC

But at around $332.00 US I can't say its a super deal on cost. I guess
if you are in the UK though, 200 Pounds is probably a great deal. Im trying
to bring myself to get this, just....can't......pull......wallet...out.........
C'mon Paul, we need a Christmas Special Price for December to offset the
weak dollar.....

Daniel
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

I only found Stillwell's Rocket to be of real interest. I do like some of Schwa's plugins...the Schope is great (zoom in on the low end etc.).

The Massey plugins I miss the most when using Logic are the De-esser and Ct4. I would get at least the CT4 if I'm using Pro Tools.

I am very interested in DSM, which some have described as "cheating." May finally realize the promise of the old match EQ ideas. I will try it out soon...but I agree a special offer might make me impulse buy ear unheard.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

The massey compressor is one of, if not the best sounding plugin compressor I have ever used.

I highly recommend you try the demo if you haven't already.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbydesign View Post
Im hearing really good things about DSM - Dynamic Spectrum Mapper

Pro Audio DSP - Professional Audio Plugins - Audio Units, Pro Tools and VST for Mac and PC

But at around $332.00 US I can't say its a super deal on cost. I guess
if you are in the UK though, 200 Pounds is probably a great deal. Im trying
to bring myself to get this, just....can't......pull......wallet...out.........
C'mon Paul, we need a Christmas Special Price for December to offset the
weak dollar.....

Daniel
I demo'd this for a few days and had to buy it. It's fabulous. I'm using it way more than anything. A very complicated plug in with lots of uses, but mostly it just makes everything I try it on sound better. Highly recommended for taking your mixes to a new level. It has mine. Paul Frindle is an amazing designer. Worth the expense. DOWNLOAD THE DEMO AND TRY IT!

Also demoing the elysia mpressor plug. Also a lot more complicated than most, but sounds awesome.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

Love the stillwell stuff!
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
I demo'd this for a few days and had to buy it. It's fabulous. I'm using it way more than anything. A very complicated plug in with lots of uses, but mostly it just makes everything I try it on sound better. Highly recommended for taking your mixes to a new level. It has mine. Paul Frindle is an amazing designer. Worth the expense. DOWNLOAD THE DEMO AND TRY IT!

Also demoing the elysia mpressor plug. Also a lot more complicated than most, but sounds awesome.
I'm planning on trying it soon. Ive procrastinated on doing this because of ILOK.
I don't hate ILOK like some but its more of a pain than simple serial like the aM (Audiomidi)
version of Breverb......hey, that reminds me Ive got another one to mention. check my next Post....

Daniel
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Best things in life are...

Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Here's two Bang for the Buck Plugs!!!

The Audiomidi version of Breverb for only 5 bucks!!!

Breverb audioMIDI Edition from audioMIDI.com

Sure it's limited over the regular version but VERY NICE to have.

I was just using mine 20 minutes ago and I loved what I was hearing.
It only has Room & Plate and has less parameters but it works well for me.
especially for 5 clams. The Presets are great place to tweak from.

If you get this version, you can upgrade to full for 250 (within 30 days of purchase of this one).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also Don't forget about Pod Farm.

Line 6 - POD Farm - Audio Software Plugins for Guitar and Bass

I wasn't that crazy about Line6 till I got this.
99 bucks, (I got mine free during that promotion) Besides guitar stuff, its got
API, NEVE, AVALON, emulation in addition to all kinds of stomps and amps, EQ's, Compressors
and some wacky stuff. I give it two thumbs up and will upgrade to
the platinum version soon. You can even run voices thru it and by the way,
the analog delay sounds great on Vox.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllock View Post
Best things in life are...

Tell us about this thing, Carllock. Looks interesting....

Daniel
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post

I am a noob, I apologize for the dumb question im about to ask but in what instance would you use the DSM? I've never seen anything like it before and by the way you're describing it, Its what Im looking for.

TO TAKE MY MIXES TO THE NEXT LEVEL! haha
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear