The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Plug-In bang for the buck?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
How the Massey stuff could be beaten in a "bang for the buck PT plugin" competition I can't imagine!
Only by the free stuff from Digidesign and others.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

Redline Reverb.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Redline Reverb.
I found this had an absolutely wonderful interface, which made it really quick and easy for me to discover I couldn't get anything worth using out of it.

Matter of taste, I suppose...

The Fairchild clone above is a free Windows VST... VST effects Β« Variety Of Sound
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
Honestly the most used plug-in that I use (sometimes one on every single audio and aux track) is the Sonalksis Free G. First of all, it's FREE! second, I cannot tell you how much this has made my mixes better, by controlling gain staging pre and post plugins. (Search for the thread, "Why analog mixes sound better than ITB mixes.")

So for bang for the buck, this is the one to get period. Other than that, I agree the Massey and Stillwell plugins are great!

UAD is nice, but pricey (this is mainly what I use)

Good luck in your hunt!
Thanks, Ive definitly been downloading a TON of free trials haha!
I got the FreeG but im not sure how it works or what to do with it!

Could you give me a little insight?
thanks
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllock View Post
Best things in life are...

All I can say, it's just sounds like butter...wait deep fried stick of butter!

Try for yourself but don't tell your Cardiologist I sent ya:

Variety Of Sound

Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
I demo'd this for a few days and had to buy it. It's fabulous. I'm using it way more than anything. A very complicated plug in with lots of uses, but mostly it just makes everything I try it on sound better. Highly recommended for taking your mixes to a new level. It has mine. Paul Frindle is an amazing designer. Worth the expense. DOWNLOAD THE DEMO AND TRY IT!

Also demoing the elysia mpressor plug. Also a lot more complicated than most, but sounds awesome.
So I downloaded the DSM plug into my iLok, but how do you open it? I can't see it in the insert sections in Pro Tools. Any help?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

PSP Oldtimer.
Old 12th November 2009
I have been playing around with a lot of these different plug in's today and I threw the mpressor and also the DSM on some distorted metal guitars and its just sick! haha

I used the mpressor on drum buss also and it was really cool the way they just came to life!
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroggy View Post
So I downloaded the DSM plug into my iLok, but how do you open it? I can't see it in the insert sections in Pro Tools. Any help?
you have to download the plug from the site after you download the ilok license. After your download the actual software all you have to do is install it. At least that's all I had to do.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadroom View Post
I am a noob, I apologize for the dumb question im about to ask but in what instance would you use the DSM? I've never seen anything like it before and by the way you're describing it, Its what Im looking for.

TO TAKE MY MIXES TO THE NEXT LEVEL! haha
I'm not sure I've really got my mind wrapped around this plug in yet. It just sounds incredible with some tweaking. I'd suggest watching his videos. It would be more productive than reading my lame explanation.
Dynamic Spectrum Mapper introduction on Vimeo
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Soundtoys are fantastic! Fairly cheap and awesome delays, fx, all kinds of sweet stuff. Seriously.
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
I'm not sure I've really got my mind wrapped around this plug in yet. It just sounds incredible with some tweaking. I'd suggest watching his videos. It would be more productive than reading my lame explanation.
Dynamic Spectrum Mapper introduction on Vimeo
I just have the demo, but how much does this cost in the US?

I can't find a price.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
PSP Oldtimer.

Oh yes. Bootsy ferric too. Two of the most analogue sounding plugs in existence and both will cost you less than a tonne.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

All of massey plugs are good. I haven't found a great use for the THC yet, but I'm sure its out there.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:

I can't find a price.

I've had to work out the price in GBP from USD may a time, its really not that hard the other way around
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

+1 for Reverberate. That combined with rhythminmind's convolution impulses have really improved the space of my mixes.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:

I can't find a price.

XE - Universal Currency Converter

Dan
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbydesign View Post
+1

Very versatile plug, and you can use some of their USB hardware for authorization, instead of an iLok, and get whatever models that has. For example, my copy is tied to my POD XT Live, which gives me the FX Junkie model pack, all the amps in the basic POD Farm, plus all the amps on my POD.
Old 14th November 2009
Been playing around with the DSM for about 10 hours total in the last 2 days and it makes me cry how good this thing is...joking...kinda.

haha I honestly think this has been the plug that i've always wanted but never knew existed. It literally made my recordings sound "right".
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

+1 for all Massey plugs

+1 for DSM
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkenney View Post
imo the Liquid Mix 16 @ $199 is a bargain for some DSP powered eq/comp variety. After that, I'd suggest SoundToys but the price jumps.

Dan
How really is Liquid Mix??? I mean the technology behind seems great, but how the plug ins sound?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
How really is Liquid Mix??? I mean the technology behind seems great, but how the plug ins sound?
I thnk the compressors sound really good. There's a bunch included so some are better than others but all in all I think it's a great collection to have. Someone on GS found some issue with the eqs but I find most to be quite serviceable. The nice thing of course is the dsp offload as well as the hardware interface. The one downside is the on-screen gui. Takes a little getting used to.

I still think it's a great value for $199. Even at inexpensive prices you'd get 2 maybe 3 plugs for that price and here you get 10x that with the dsp advantage.

Dan
Old 14th November 2009
audio midi breverb plug for $4.99 blows away the dverb I was using. not as versatile but it sounds better IMO.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Bang for buck - Liquid Mix
Old 14th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllock View Post
Best things in life are...

This has gotta be one of Bootsy's plugs...
Old 14th November 2009
Bootsy plug (including the new and terrific FERRIC, man this one is a godsaver. Makes snares sound really good, "massive attack" style :p)

I also love the stillwells, especially the event horizon.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
I think Logic is the best $500 you can spend on plugins!
Very true.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkenney View Post
I thnk the compressors sound really good. There's a bunch included so some are better than others but all in all I think it's a great collection to have. Someone on GS found some issue with the eqs but I find most to be quite serviceable. The nice thing of course is the dsp offload as well as the hardware interface. The one downside is the on-screen gui. Takes a little getting used to.

I still think it's a great value for $199. Even at inexpensive prices you'd get 2 maybe 3 plugs for that price and here you get 10x that with the dsp advantage.

Dan
Problem is, to REALLY make use of it (and I know cuz I have it) you need to have access to someone with a profound knowledge of what all the emulations are really good for. THey have rather cryptic names--and even if they had the actual names--some of the emulated gear is so obscure and function specific that you really need a lot of know how. I can see how a engineer with 20 years recording experience could make the liquid mix do pretty stellar things (if they new how to translate the cryptic names anyway) but a guy like me (with comparatively narrow and limited experience in mastering/mix) i get more results from a plugin like Ozone.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

I've been gradually making the move to a more analog hybrid setup over the past year, but the few plugins that i still regularly rely on are the Sonalksis comp & EQ, the SPL Transient Designer plug and the Abbey Road Brilliance EQs. For FX it's soundtoys, they're really fantastic. None of these are riotously expensive either.

I think the important thing for you with plugins is to find something that works for you that you like the sound of, then learn to use it well and stick with it. You'll get so many different replies to this question that after a while it all becomes irrelevant anyway.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongstTheLiving View Post
All of massey plugs are good. I haven't found a great use for the THC yet, but I'm sure its out there.
Funny, THC and CT4 are the 2 that i've brought!

Try running dist guitars to a parallel buss with a small amount of THC and blend to
taste. Can either make the gats nice and aggressive or take a more 'pushed' vox-type
part and make it 'lush' depending on how you set it/blend it.
(manual or auto delay comp a must as with any parallel processing..)

Or, THC on the double track of a lead vocal for some grit/attitude/spit.

Or, on a tambo track you want for the 'momentum' without the 'cheese' factor.
(i go between PT lo-fi and THC on this).

There's obviously lots more but it's on about 90% of mixes i do.
I just wish there was more precision in the lower gain settings as that's where
the useable stuff is for me. Don't think i ever use it past "9 o'clock". LOL.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear