The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
square state solid state EQUALIZER model one b
Old 1st September 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
+1 for this, anyone want to report back with a glowing report?
Actually Gary's post was before I launched the Clipalator gear test page on the site. You can hear the Model One B vs tons of other name brands here:

Clip-A-Lator: Audio and Video | Studio Gear Shootouts @ ZenProAudio.com

War
Old 1st September 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah, here's a short version of my Tape Op review:

I love it.
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

War,

I've listened to tons of samples on the clip-o-lator and find that while they reveal some information about the overall tone of each EQ, it's hard to really know what's going on without knowing what frequencies were cut/boosted on each track. How are you standardizing all these EQ's when the EQ points are so different on many of them?
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Guru

I thought the same thing at first.... but/and: (as with most critiques of well done audio clips)

warren, that was awesome! having never owned a hardware EQ myself, hearing them back to back like that, and also checking out the videos, really showed me the "character" of these EQs in a way I've never experienced before. Just like a preamp or a compressor, they each seem to have a "sound." I guess that's the nature of any analog piece of gear with an amplifier stage in it. of course the different EQ points and Qs are going to make a difference etc, etc, et. al

I have to say, both of the great river offerings really impressed me in those clips, in a quick and not exhaustive listening. it'd be awesome if you could get some API sounds in there for comparison (I guess you're not an API dealer, sorry). The SSSS impressed me as well on certain sources, and the similarly priced Chameleon Labs on others (snare SSSS and kick Chameleon, for example.) I'm going to spend some more quality time with your Clip-A-Lator later tonight and try to formulate a wish-list for my first forays into HW EQ. guess I'm going to need to wire up that patchbay after all... thumbsup
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Guru

P.S. The Thirsties impressed me too! A pleasant surprise.
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Hey Warren.... not to put you on the spot, but you're one of the only people I know that's been in the same room as these two eq's.....so....if you could do either, would you rather have the dual channel Black Lion eq, or two of the Model 1b's? I know the Black Lion has an extra band an more frequency choices, but which would you prefer sonically?

Thanks,

Kirt Shearer
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshearer View Post
Hey Warren.... not to put you on the spot, but you're one of the only people I know that's been in the same room as these two eq's.....so....if you could do either, would you rather have the dual channel Black Lion eq, or two of the Model 1b's? I know the Black Lion has an extra band an more frequency choices, but which would you prefer sonically?

Thanks,

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
oh man, you recorded Fashion Nugget! That album actually got me to buy an old Guild Starfire II guitar because I was so smitten with the sounds on that record. any stories or tidbits? good work!
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Hey, thanks man! Those were fun projects to work on. I actually own a Starfire now too...So as not to hijack the thread too badly, I'll just post a link from an earlier discussion on some of the production.

'Cake's signal chain for bass

THANKS!

Kirt Shearer
Old 2nd September 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
How are you standardizing all these EQ's when the EQ points are so different on many of them?
No standardizing is done, hence...the video for context. The issue is this: a RETRO 2A3 might completely knock a home run on certain sources...but it only has a few freq points available so it simply will not do what a Rupert Neve 5033 will do. To standardize them would not be possible (without cheating the 5033 out of 2 or 3 of its bands!), and the closest you could get might to be to examine every piece of gear in a category and say "OK, they all have something near 10k so that will be the only cut or boost point" but then you aren't really letting a piece of gear work with you. Then there's new gear that hits the market...and another function of the Clipalator is that 2 or 3 years from now I am still adding gear to it using the same files, converters and cables even.

Quote:
I thought the same thing at first.... but/and: (as with most critiques of well done audio clips)...they each seem to have a "sound."
Yes, they do all have a sound and some are quite distinct.

Quote:
P.S. The Thirsties impressed me too! A pleasant surprise.
I've been making records with those guys since like 2003, love working with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshearer View Post

Thanks,

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Kirt, they are vastly different boxes. Overall the more gentle TONE of the Black Lion Audio EQ as well as the smooth control lend itself better to things like 2 buss, vocals and acoustic type music. The Square State Model One B is definitely a more rock and roll EQ, and for things like drums, bass, vocals, guitars that need more deep carving...I would reach for it first.

Those are VERY general statements about both, and the thing is I actually find the Model One B to be quite nice on 2 buss as well but certainly a more electric sort of tingle vs the smooth transformer based BLA. The Model One B bell curves start out pretty gentle so they can do smooth pretty well also, but man can they dig DEEP too.

The lack of the 350 range on the BLA and the inclusion of it on the Model One B also means drums are greatly preferred on the Model One B since it's such a common range to scoop out on kick and toms (one of the things people dig about 1073 EQ's = the 360 scoop).

War
Old 2nd September 2010
Jai guru deva om

Also worth a mention, the acoustic tracks being done by I-9 I thought was excellent as well. Those guys had more than one popular song on the radio and are an interesting pop group featuring cello, female vocals and guitar.

They happen to live in my town here in SC.

War
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

Just got a pair in the mail today! So far: SO GOOD! From the hours I have played around with it, it sounds really nice. It's a super useful tool and enhancer. I like that I can cut and boost this much, sometimes that's needed. I like the way they look, like unboxing a brand new vintage piece! I like them on both individual sounds and the mix bus. Bypassing them always sounds dull and lifeless. Very glad that I got them! You should too
Old 18th July 2011
Lives for gear

So
how are you guys feeling about this eq these days?
Is the honeymoon over, I'm interested...

AA
Old 27th August 2011
Gear Maniac

I got a pair...

...from War, and I can convincingly say that they have a pretty fatal flaw...Every time I use them, I feel this strange need to buy another couple pairs!!!! heh

What can I say? They are lovely!!! And at that price, they are astonishingly lovely!!!

Buy a pair for yourself and see...

Farhad
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Any word on the HPF/LPF unit? I'd likely buy a couple immediately.
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

square state solid state - model one b EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadkd View Post
...from War, and I can convincingly say that they have a pretty fatal flaw...Every time I use them, I feel this strange need to buy another couple pairs!!!! heh

What can I say? They are lovely!!! And at that price, they are astonishingly lovely!!!

Buy a pair for yourself and see...

Farhad
farhadkd,
Thanks for the kind words! I may have to quote you with "Astonishingly lovely!!!" heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelista View Post
Any word on the HPF/LPF unit? I'd likely buy a couple immediately.
evangelista,
Our HP/LP filter has made it's way through R&D, and we're very happy with it. To finance it's full production we're focusing on selling more of the EQ's, we'll get there at some point.
Old 13th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Any 2012 news on the HP LP units? I love my EQ One b by the way. It's a favorite of mine.
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Actually just so not to confuse the issue, there are almost no "linked" analog equalizers on the planet. GML, Great River, API, Cranesong are all dual mono units in one chassis.

War
Hey Warren, I may be wrong but I vaguely remember linking channels on an AMEK medici I got to play with many years back. Anyways congrats to the gearmaker on this great priced EQ! Cheers!
Old 15th April 2012
Jai guru deva om

The Bettermaker EQ is digitally controlled but 100% analog signal path...and linkable!
Old 6th June 2014
Gear Head
Hi, thinkin of purchasing this eq however I wonder how it is with PSU, is it compatible with european standard or should I buy some universal adapter? In this price range it is unbeatable and also I read only positive reviews. It d be my first outboard eq...mainly for tracking and also mixing back to DAW...mono isnt problem as I do mainly techno/tech-house...hope it can enhance my sterile digital sounding...how much is shipping to EU? thanks for reply guys
Old 14th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_d View Post
Hi, thinkin of purchasing this eq however I wonder how it is with PSU, is it compatible with european standard or should I buy some universal adapter? In this price range it is unbeatable and also I read only positive reviews. It d be my first outboard eq...mainly for tracking and also mixing back to DAW...mono isnt problem as I do mainly techno/tech-house...hope it can enhance my sterile digital sounding...how much is shipping to EU? thanks for reply guys
i'd also like to know that
thanks
Old 15th June 2014
Jai guru deva om

We have EU power supplies, just put a note in checkout to include one and we will at no charge. You can also get an instant ship quote in the cart.

War
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

This EQ (had a pair for some years now) for kick and snare and such, is amazing. Drive it a little hard. Lows and mid interact a lot, so you can get a lot or less low mid warmth when boosting the lows. I won't get rid of my pair, they're too cool and unique.

But it's not a favorite for vocals, I like my Elysia Xfilter for that. On some sources, like a challenging drum break off vinyl, I do surgical stuff with the Elysia first and coloring and boosting with the OneB. The Elysia is very clean. The OneB can get a little ugly/spitty in the SsSs-es, and bands are a little wide for cleaning up anyways. It's a fattening/coloring tool for sure.
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

Fantastic kick/bass or kick/snare combination with the SSSS 1b. Also, really stellar on acoustic guitars!
Old 15th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy View Post
This EQ (had a pair for some years now) for kick and snare and such, is amazing. Drive it a little hard. Lows and mid interact a lot, so you can get a lot or less low mid warmth when boosting the lows. I won't get rid of my pair, they're too cool and unique.

But it's not a favorite for vocals, I like my Elysia Xfilter for that. On some sources, like a challenging drum break off vinyl, I do surgical stuff with the Elysia first and coloring and boosting with the OneB. The Elysia is very clean. The OneB can get a little ugly/spitty in the SsSs-es, and bands are a little wide for cleaning up anyways. It's a fattening/coloring tool for sure.
As it would be my first hardware eq. Would u go for the square state or the elysia. Im looking for a nice warm open all purpose eq.
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipNL View Post
As it would be my first hardware eq. Would u go for the square state or the elysia. Im looking for a nice warm open all purpose eq.
Depends on what you want/need the most. I think the Elysia is more all purpose, I use it on my Mix buss together with my Drawmer 1968MK2 as well, and its more of an invisible tool, unless you engage the passive massage on the high end, which sweeten a little. But at the same time, it's a more boring piece, more similar to plugin as it does not have that special sound. The 1b is very cool and you can push it to saturate it, you can do big boosts or cuts, or both, and it sounds great. Of course as always, get both.
Old 15th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Im not really into mastering.
Just for tracking and stuff.

Im putting the 1b on my list for sure
Old 15th June 2014
More cowbell!

Very nice for the price. It has similar features to the Electrodyne 511 at half the cost.
Old 17th June 2014
500 series nutjob

But I would not be turning in the Electrodyne 511, no matter the price difference.
Being more affordable or offering similar features at half the cost, does not necessarily make it gear I want.

Old 17th June 2014
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
But I would not be turning in the Electrodyne 511, no matter the price difference.

Heaven Forbid!! If I had a 511 (which I don't, yet I covet one and it is on my "sooner that later" list) I wouldnt either. This IS Gearslutz, after all--the one time when, for AE's, "more is more!"
Old 17th June 2014
500 series nutjob

LOL
you know i want more: )~ .

πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear