The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
square state solid state EQUALIZER model one b
Old 22nd March 2010
  #91
Here for the gear
 
square state's Avatar
 

square state solid state model one b - comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysenterygary View Post
I think a lack of response might be the loudest response we can get concerning how this compares to everything else.
We sold most all of our first run, the majority shipping off to places like France, Switzerland and Australia. I received some very flattering emails from happy new owners. Maybe I can prod some of them to post their thoughts here on the Gearslutz forum.
Joe
square state solid state
Old 23rd March 2010
  #92
Lives for gear
 
Docmattic's Avatar
 

I'll happily give some comments:

The eq does what it is supposed to in a slight flattering way, though i would not call it a color piece. It it is simple to use (i mainly use it for vocals) and i am honestly finding it has the right eq frequencies for this application. a little cut/boost at 75/150 hz if needed (depending on the mic) boost at 700hz and alittle air at 17khz. Sounds beautiful. Honestly ive just put it in my vocal chain and let it do its thing.

Im really glad to have this in my rack. I can post samples later if anyone wants them. All i will be doing will be to bypass it in my current chain and then reenble it. I may also do a track with extream eq so its more obvious.
Old 23rd March 2010
  #93
Lives for gear
 
Marcocet's Avatar
This thing is awesome. Full review to come.
Old 23rd March 2010
  #94
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

If it means anything to anybody, and it speaks volumes to me...I've never had one returned and nothing but praise emails from each buyer!

No one box is for everybody, but having one or two of these sure is a no brainer to me.

War
Old 24th March 2010
  #95
Lives for gear
 
Docmattic's Avatar
 

yeh thanks war, i bought one from you back in December.

I love mine. I don't know what id do without it.
Old 25th March 2010
  #96
Lives for gear
 
dysenterygary's Avatar
 

My post earlier was not supposed to come off as aggressive by any means, nor is this one, but as a low ender who researches weeks before each purchase I need to read or hear some great things to make up for a lack of features. 3 not 4 or 5 bands, no independent shelves(without losing the low and/or high), non adjustable Q, no transformer, no makeup gain, no power switch (no big deal), and no xlr's make me really want to see something compelling out of this. I'm sure I'm not the only one thats on the fence and would really like to see this compared to something well respected before I can pull the trigger. No returns to Warren is definitely a plus though in my book.
Old 31st March 2010
  #97
D K
Lives for gear
 
D K's Avatar
Just need to hear a little bit more about these but I have talked with War and my interest is definitely way up there - It's either these or start my 500 series collection with a pair of Purple ODDs

Looking for something sweet and creamy with a little weight for the 2 bus...
Old 9th April 2010
  #98
Lives for gear
 
Docmattic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Just need to hear a little bit more about these but I have talked with War and my interest is definitely way up there - It's either these or start my 500 series collection with a pair of Purple ODDs

Looking for something sweet and creamy with a little weight for the 2 bus...
I would not describe the eq1b as that. It has a nice subtle character, that is a little more prominent when pushed. However by the sound of it your looking for something different.
Old 9th April 2010
  #99
D K
Lives for gear
 
D K's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
I would not describe the eq1b as that. It has a nice subtle character, that is a little more prominent when pushed. However by the sound of it your looking for something different.

Thanks Docmattic - sound like these are a little more subtle but probably still pretty darn good for tracking I would imagine....
Old 11th April 2010
  #100
Lives for gear
 
Docmattic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Thanks Docmattic - sound like these are a little more subtle but probably still pretty darn good for tracking I would imagine....
Correct. thumbsup. I cant really compare it to anything else ive used (my experience with hardware eq is limited). I find the character quite unique and desirable. I have not taken it out of my vocal chain since i got it and no longer find myself using ITB eq.
Old 19th April 2010
  #101
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Looking for something sweet and creamy with a little weight for the 2 bus...
So for comparison sake, what EQ's fill the above description?
Old 20th April 2010
  #102
D K
Lives for gear
 
D K's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaron View Post
So for comparison sake, what EQ's fill the above description?

Well, I think there a lot's of them - Depends on how much you want to spend

Off the top of my head - Pultec EQP1A, Manley, Hammer, PEQ and probably many others - In my price range I think I may try to get a listen to the 500 series Purple ODDs - From what I have heard and read they may have those characteristics but I have not heard them myself...
Old 3rd May 2010
  #103
Lives for gear
 
Guitar Zero's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
This thing is awesome. Full review to come.
OK, you've had a month now. Let's hear that full review.
Old 3rd May 2010
  #104
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

How about a review by Scott Dorsey for Recording Magazine?

- Square State Solid State EQUALIZER model one b : Featured Reviews : Recording Magazine -

War
Old 4th May 2010
  #105
Lives for gear
 
Guitar Zero's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
How about a review by Scott Dorsey for Recording Magazine?

- Square State Solid State EQUALIZER model one b : Featured Reviews : Recording Magazine -

War
That's even better. Thanks War
Old 6th May 2010
  #106
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Very welcome.

War thumbsup
Old 10th May 2010
  #107
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

Re: square state solid state EQUALIZER model one b

hey war, can you give a total cost if I bought one from the UK, Inc delivery? thanks!

sorry if it's been posted before
p


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 10th May 2010
  #108
Lives for gear
 

What can this do that the Speck ASC can't ?

The Speck ASC is around 500 bucks too, isn't it ? So, what can't this Square State Solid State EQ do better than the ASC ? I mean... the Speck can be surgical , but the Model 1b has no Q control, which limits it's functionality.....
Anybody have both, and can give a comparison ?
Old 10th May 2010
  #109
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
hey war, can you give a total cost if I bought one from the UK, Inc delivery? thanks!
Ship costs to the UK are $49 via USPS Priority Mail. Units are in stock and shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejs View Post
The Speck ASC is around 500 bucks too, isn't it ? So, what can't this Square State Solid State EQ do better than the ASC ? I mean... the Speck can be surgical , but the Model 1b has no Q control, which limits it's functionality.....
Anybody have both, and can give a comparison ?
The Speck is a clean EQ for the most part, although the "T" version with the Jensen output transformer can bring a little sheen / weight to the game in a nice and subtle way. The Speck can do surgical quite well and that is one of it's strong points for sure. Love the Speck!

The Square State can actually remain pretty clean with small doses, but for the most part is a bit of a character EQ which is a pretty recognizable sound really. It's more of a broad sculpting EQ, which is why I dig it for tracking and it does a nice job on 2 buss as well.

Those are VERY general differences. There are times I suggest the Speck over the Square State One B, and vice versa. Functionally and sound wise they fill very different needs.

They are both reminiscent of good console EQ's, the Speck being more like a clean-ish 80's console and the One B acting more like an early 70's console.

Hope this helps.

War
Old 10th July 2010
  #110
Lives for gear
 
lectric's Avatar
Another experiences????
Old 10th July 2010
  #111
Lives for gear
 
DJamesGoody's Avatar
This box looks very good to me.... and in reading the thread, I noticed some talk of a HP/LP filter...!

Hmm. any details on that yet? Man, I need like four HP/LP filters. If you could build a dual channel filter into a single chassis, and sell it at a low price point, I think you'd have a clear winner.

There is a serious lack of HP/LP options right now.
Old 12th July 2010
  #112
Here for the gear
 
square state's Avatar
 

HP/LP waiting in the wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJamesGoody View Post
This box looks very good to me.... and in reading the thread, I noticed some talk of a HP/LP filter...!

Hmm. any details on that yet? Man, I need like four HP/LP filters. If you could build a dual channel filter into a single chassis, and sell it at a low price point, I think you'd have a clear winner.

There is a serious lack of HP/LP options right now.
DJG,
We've got a HP/LP prototype up and running, it sounds great. My partner had a couple of designs that we played around with, one was a clear winner. We're looking at two channels in a half rack configuration and feel that they'll street for a very nice price.
We agree that there is a lack of options out there - the HP/LP filter is most probably next for us, we just need to sell some more model one b's first!
I've got a Trident 24 with a sweepable, HP filter on each channel (in the EQ section). It's such an effective tool for removing mud and rumble, thus cleaning up the mids and highs. I get a decent amount of younger engineers visiting the studio that have know idea what a great tool HP/LP filtering can be.
Thanks for the interest!
Joe
square state solid state
Old 14th July 2010
  #113
Lives for gear
 

Will the HP/LP that you're working on be stepped frequencies or on variable pots? Is this a clean signal path design or looking to add a little color (ie xformer, tube, etc)?
Old 17th July 2010
  #114
Here for the gear
 
square state's Avatar
 

square state solid state - HP/LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak View Post
Will the HP/LP that you're working on be stepped frequencies or on variable pots? Is this a clean signal path design or looking to add a little color (ie xformer, tube, etc)?
rapfreak,
The prototype is a swept high pass and a swept low pass with a clean signal path - what we'd consider a very usable tool for dialing out mud on the bottom and scratchy/fizzy on the top.
I was recently mixing a tune that had a dreamy female vocal doing a sort of duet with sax, they both needed to be up in the mix but I didn't want the horn stepping on the vox. Dialing in a swept low pass and some panning (on the horn) was just the thing for balancing the two elements. I also love low pass filtering reverbs and delays to subdue them. Thanks for the interest!
Joe
square state solid state
Old 18th July 2010
  #115
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by square state View Post
rapfreak,
The prototype is a swept high pass and a swept low pass with a clean signal path - what we'd consider a very usable tool for dialing out mud on the bottom and scratchy/fizzy on the top.
I was recently mixing a tune that had a dreamy female vocal doing a sort of duet with sax, they both needed to be up in the mix but I didn't want the horn stepping on the vox. Dialing in a swept low pass and some panning (on the horn) was just the thing for balancing the two elements. I also love low pass filtering reverbs and delays to subdue them. Thanks for the interest!
Joe
square state solid state

Sounds perfect! I've been eyeing the Shiny Box Guillotiine but might just hold off for this.
Old 18th July 2010
  #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by square state View Post
rapfreak,
The prototype is a swept high pass and a swept low pass with a clean signal path - what we'd consider a very usable tool for dialing out mud on the bottom and scratchy/fizzy on the top.
I was recently mixing a tune that had a dreamy female vocal doing a sort of duet with sax, they both needed to be up in the mix but I didn't want the horn stepping on the vox. Dialing in a swept low pass and some panning (on the horn) was just the thing for balancing the two elements. I also love low pass filtering reverbs and delays to subdue them. Thanks for the interest!
Joe
square state solid state
Any idea when these may be heading for market?
Old 22nd July 2010
  #117
Lives for gear
 

Looks like they got a positive review in the July/August 2010 issue of Tape Op
Old 17th August 2010
  #118
Here for the gear
 
square state's Avatar
 

square state solid state - future filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Kessler View Post
Any idea when these may be heading for market?
I had answered this via a PM but now in hind sight realize other folks may want some info on this so -

Regarding the filter - Unfortunately I think at the soonest 6 months and realistically more like 9. While the circuit is in place and sounding great we still have to source all the parts to be RoHS compliant (this proves tricky ie custom with regards to the pots) as well as metal work and the final PCB prototyping. Sigh...
We really need to sell a lot more model one b's to finance the next product, that drives the production more then anything else. I'll keep you all in the loop as we get closer. This will be a great product at a great price!
Thanks again for the inquiry and don't hesitate to contact me with any other questions!
Best regards,
Joe Turse
square state solid state
Old 31st August 2010
  #119
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysenterygary View Post
My post earlier was not supposed to come off as aggressive by any means, nor is this one, but as a low ender who researches weeks before each purchase I need to read or hear some great things to make up for a lack of features. 3 not 4 or 5 bands, no independent shelves(without losing the low and/or high), non adjustable Q, no transformer, no makeup gain, no power switch (no big deal), and no xlr's make me really want to see something compelling out of this. I'm sure I'm not the only one thats on the fence and would really like to see this compared to something well respected before I can pull the trigger. No returns to Warren is definitely a plus though in my book.
+1 for this, anyone want to report back with a glowing report?
Old 31st August 2010
  #120
Here for the gear
 
square state's Avatar
 

Glowing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
+1 for this, anyone want to report back with a glowing report?
monkeyxx,
We've been getting some great reviews in both print and online, it seems we're just not being found by many gearslutz folk (though if you search you'll find a couple of very happy users here). In lieu of the locals here are some links to other's thoughts -

Scott Dorsey for Recording Magazine

Daniel Schlett of Strange Weather Brooklyn and other NYC institutions

Joel Hamilton's take

In addition the July/August 2010 issue of Tape Op has a great review by Marc Alan Goodman

Thanks for your interest and don't hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Joe
square state solid state
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear