The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
square state solid state EQUALIZER model one b
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Gyraf and ADT have "stereo" EQ's, although it's true that they are not common.

So, this design is set for production? If so, then it is what it is.

Again, I think the omission of tick marks for recall would be a problem for me at any price.

Also, I would still like to know about the active stage(s?).

It look like a good box. I like the shelf and bell switching.
Old 14th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

I have asked the Square State Solid State guys to hop back in on a few of these questions.

I think the balance between features and price and the simplicity nails it.

Markings on the gain pots would be nice I admit, but plotting out your own recall sheet ain't bad:

http://www.squarestatesolidstate.com...el1BRecall.pdf

if you need recall. When dialing it in I just use those flaps on the side of my head.

The sound of the unit is what kills, and ease of use (just look at those points...they work on virtually everything). What they can do for your tracks is amazing at any price point, but truly stunning at $499.

This is shipping by the way, built and boxed by guys who care.

War
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Looks beautiful. I may have to start saving my money.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
Looks and sounds great - but no xlr....ughh.

How about a version with xlr and stepped for recall? $700? thumbsup

The unit is 1/4 balanced correct? What's the difference then? Am I wrong?

Samples sound great, sounds like a cool unit for the $.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

Again, I think the product looks wonderful.

Super tempting at this price -- I understand that stepped cut/boost pots will bring the cost up.

Sound samples are very nice.

I'm really happy with the product being offered -- man you can hardly buy certain plugins for this little money

Some of my clients are super picky about recall -- everything has to be just so -- so I thought I would throw it out there.

Any forthcoming reviews to look out for? Or is this flying under the radar?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

how about building in a 500 series format to get even more cost removed?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I really like the looks of it. Reminds me of the UA mic pre they had out for a while. I always loved those knobs.. hehe

Yeah, I completely agree with some tick marks on the face. That is the only thing missing for me.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by grockvt View Post
how about building in a 500 series format to get even more cost removed?
usually not one of the everything's-got-to-be 500-series sqallers but that could make sense indeed. an affordable (to avoid the word cheap) powerful top quality eq seems to be missing. $400? it would also solve the two things i don't like with this eq, the external psu and even worse for me the missing power switch.
Old 14th November 2009
Here for the gear

EQUALIZER model one b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
There are so many equalizers in the world, particularly when you move up the price scale a few hundred dollars from this point.

Can't we let this little $500 unit be what it is? I sense a cool, little econo, Tape Op hit.

I don't have the talent, technical knowledge or disposition to be a gear designer, but... I sympathize with them!

- c
Silver Sonya just got the job as our PR firm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
It needs tick marks, IMO... especially for stereo, but I might go for one.

I'd like to know more about the active section(s?).

It looks a good new product at a good price.

We need more of that!
I think I missed where the original "active stage" comment came from but to address Coyoteous' question - We have one dual op amp (socketed IC - very low noise) handling two chores - balancing the input and driving the circuit. The output is impedance balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepwise Sound View Post
Again, I think the product looks wonderful.

Super tempting at this price -- I understand that stepped cut/boost pots will bring the cost up.

Sound samples are very nice.

I'm really happy with the product being offered -- man you can hardly buy certain plugins for this little money

Some of my clients are super picky about recall -- everything has to be just so -- so I thought I would throw it out there.

Any forthcoming reviews to look out for? Or is this flying under the radar?
Dave, I hope we don't fly under the radar too long! Tape Op expressed interest and I'm working on a few others for review as well.
If any of you are in or near Colorado's front range don't hesitate to contact me, we can schedule hands on listening time at my studio san luis sound.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XlR connectors, stepped attenuators, an onboard supply...it goes on. We looked into all of these but every time we ended up over our target price of $500 street. What didn't have to change was the wonderful inductor circuit at the center of it all. When you're putting something like this together with a certain price in mind you end up with a couple of columns - "must have" and "can live without". Using local companies for the metal work and PCB's as well as doing all the soldering, mechanical assembly, testing and packing ourselves is very important to us.

As far as component manufacturing info, we'd like to keep the parts sourcing details of the circuit proprietary.

And to a 500 series version, that falls under the "can live without" category for now. To get six good quality pots that would fit in the 500 form factor would cost too much. We also factored in a portion of the lunch box as the users cost. It meant we'd be past the $500 mark. Plus, the big knobs up close and in your hands are a joy, we can't lose our big knobs!

All of your questions and comments are wonderful and it tells me how much we all think alike, because we went down the same lines of thought as we were developing the EQ. To keep it at $500 this is where we ended. I have to say, and yes I'm completely biased here, the model one b sounds great!
Joe
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info Joe and War... I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to add your own ticks somehow.
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

model one b - custom ticks

Quote:
Thanks for the info Joe and War... I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to add your own ticks somehow.
We'll ship yours with a Sharpie!
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by square state View Post
heh
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by square state View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha!

I think that should be your slogan.

Square State Solid State. We'll Ship Yours With A Sharpie.

- c
Old 15th November 2009
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

got a chance to really sit and listen to the samples today, Loaded them all up in a session for quick a/b-ing.

great job! Very nice piece of gear for the money from what I heard.
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

I can see the T-shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha!

I think that should be your slogan.

Square State Solid State. We'll Ship Yours With A Sharpie.

- c
Again, this is why you got the PR gig!
Thanks for making me laugh so hard.
Joe
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

model one b samples

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDS View Post
got a chance to really sit a listen to the samples today, Loaded them all up in a session for quick a/b-ing.

Sands,
Thanks! At the core of our mission was just that - make a very nice pice of gear for the money.
Joe
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Too bad it didn't have a mic-pre built in, and an opto limiter. If it had all those, and seamless integration with Pro Tools 6, I'd be all over this, for $499. ---------- sarcasm intended, heavily.

Jesus...... there was a time when people built gear, and customers either bought it, or they didn't. Chad's right - can't we let this thing be what it is? It looks great, and will undoubtedly provide many people with exactly what they need. Sheesh.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Any Canadian distributors?
Old 16th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshad View Post
Any Canadian distributors?
I ship worldwide.

War
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Product seems tempting - nice work!

I just love how everyone throws in their two cents with thoughts and suggestions. The product is finished, they aren't seeking input - if you like the feature set buy it. If not don't. If you want something with exactly what fits your specific needs start a company and build it.

Thanks for adding another quality EQ in the $500 price range. There really isn't a lot of options.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I actually have some tiny vinyl sticky dots that are just the ticket for this sort of thing. All kidding aside, I'd never use a permanent marker to label piece of equipment. Although, they can be used to touch-up front panels and the like, but there are better methods. I've had to deal with a lot of abused gear, and turned many victims into survivors.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd never use a permanent marker to label piece of equipment.
I once used a sharpie on a little 6 channel mixer to write the word 'Not' before the word 'Behringer'. I felt it was an improvement.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor_glitch View Post
I once used a sharpie on a little 6 channel mixer to write the word 'Not' before the word 'Behringer'. I felt it was an improvement.

did it make it sound better????
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
did it make it sound better????
hahaha sadly not, but to this day it's the only piece of Behringer gear that ever made me smile!
Maybe I should sell it as a mod?
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

only a sharpie? let's step it up people and get a sticker set happening at least
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yes, we all realize it's great for $499. What I asked is - why not a version (AT A HIGHER PRICE) that has xlr and is stepped? Not add xlr, stepped etc for $499 - good grief.
Old 18th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
Yes, we all realize it's great for $499. What I asked is - why not a version (AT A HIGHER PRICE) that has xlr and is stepped? Not add xlr, stepped etc for $499 - good grief.
Micah, at a higher price point I certainly think it's a good suggestion to consider in the future for sure.

Having this sound at this price?

+ =

War
Old 24th November 2009
Here for the gear

model one b video samples - your ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDS View Post
got a chance to really sit and listen to the samples today, Loaded them all up in a session for quick a/b-ing.

Sands,
I'm glad you liked the samples. I think the model one b is a great EQ at any price, but for $500 street it's a no brainer.

Over the next 2-3 weeks we'll be doing a handful of videos of the model one b in action on various sources. I welcome any and all requests for sample ideas - we'll track them unprocessed then run them through the model one b. In addition to your standard drums, bass, guitar, keys, samples and vocals I have an orchestra more or less at my disposal as well, so various string and brass instruments are not out of the question. I realize I may be opening a can of worms here but knowing what the end users are considering using an inductor based EQ for is just good product research. So, let's here from you! Thanks.
Joe
Welcome to Square State Solid State
Old 27th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

Anybody can email me clips via the email link on my home page that I can process and email back to you in the meantime.

War
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear