The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Night Shift Gearslutz!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Night Shift Gearslutz!

For those of you like me that don't record for your day job...

How do you manage your time? Fit it all in? How do you finish projects?

Kid, wife, job, fitness, health, recreation, and recording. Where does it fit? Have you come up with a system that works for you?

As my standards for sound have come up, the process has become quite time consuming. I can't wait to start the next project with my current ears and not have to morph something lifeless into something musical.. But for now, i have a few more songs to finish on this project and its wearing on me with only 3-4 hours a week to work.

Any of you share my frustration? I'm just going to be patient and try to get er done. My wife is open to finding me a bit more time, so things should get better. Things always go in cycles..

Russell
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

LOL. Sounds like my life too, tho my 'day job' is tending a growing family.

Trying to find time to do anything except errands etc. is perplexing: there are so many other 'more important' things to do than creating your music. I gig a few nights/week too, so that cuts into recording time, as well as makes mornings hell. I desperately want to rebuild my Rhodes Mark I, but never find the time to do much other than stare at it once and awhile!

Life does run in cycles: this happens to be a productive stage in another facet of my life - I have to accept it and do what I can - if that means an hr here and there, then that's what I get and not get uptight about it.

The only method I've found is 'scheduling' my recording time (even if for yourself) to be the most effective - if that means Thurs nite 8 PM - 11:30 then that is what is needed to effectively manage my time. Otherwise, the time will just sink away and you with it...

My .02 c
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
For those of you like me that don't record for your day job...

How do you manage your time? Fit it all in? How do you finish projects?

Kid, wife, job, fitness, health, recreation, and recording. Where does it fit? Have you come up with a system that works for you?

As my standards for sound have come up, the process has become quite time consuming. I can't wait to start the next project with my current ears and not have to morph something lifeless into something musical.. But for now, i have a few more songs to finish on this project and its wearing on me with only 3-4 hours a week to work.

Any of you share my frustration? I'm just going to be patient and try to get er done. My wife is open to finding me a bit more time, so things should get better. Things always go in cycles..

Russell
I hear you, when I work 40 hours or more a week, there's not much time left for recording, if I wouldn't have a girlfriend it would be different but still...

I've been working a lot less since a couple of months, I'm kindda poor but at least I can record now and it feels good to take my time to do things right, everything sounds much better now.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Dude i feel for you and relate!

Yes we are going to try scheduling. My wife says "I am too generous to everyone" so i should listen to her. I want my family to have my time. I want too much of myself I guess.

Last night we started by planning 2h for me this evening and 2h on sunday. Thats a start. Some focused time helps. I can't get much concrete done in an hour typically.

So I take your advice as telling me I'm on the right track. Definately rolling with the cycles and trying to put family and health first always.

Russell
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
I've been working a lot less since a couple of months, I'm kindda poor but at least I can record now and it feels good to take my time to do things right, everything sounds much better now.
I hear that. Long term goal is find a job where i can do less than 40 hours, or just more vacation time per year. All these things are important. I make enough money to be happy. I'd rather have more time for "life" than raises...
Old 11th November 2009
Yeah lots of us in the same boat. I basically gave up on fitness 10 years ago! Just eat healthy. Luckily no kids and presently sans woman, so things have improved considerably, and plan to stay this way for at least a year to complete a few projects! I also plan recording time, usually Tuesday or Wednesday evenings 7-11pm and saturday afternoon, 3-7pm. It helps.

Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm glad to see other people chiming in. I'm in the same boat, too...wishing my awareness of music would have grown to its present point back when I was in school and had no responsibilities...but grateful it did ever happen at all. Now is the time, whenever now is.
The best advice I've heard for time-challenged creative adults is from a writer who wrote that it is crucially essential to declare certain time periods [in each day or week] absolutely inviolate, and then stick to that. The truth is, though, for someone with a day job and a family there is simply not enough time, period, regardless of what your interests are.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

If this recording thing is stuck in you like it is in me then you have no choice but to make the the time for it. It becomes a part of your life and the people around you pretty much have to accept that fact.

That's real easy for me to say, though, as I have no kids around the house and my co-star is totally supportive.

Still.....I need to find odd ways to get my fixes. Since I run a construction company as my alter ego, I get up early. So I spend the time between 5:00 AM and 6:00 AM in the studio mixing. I get more mixing time in the evening when it's TV time for the missus. And....there are those times when I'm lying in bed with something on my mind and I just get on up and tend to it. Last night I put down a DI guit track at 1:30 AM.....went back to bed and slept like a baby.

As for tracking......since I use the whole house these days I need to sneak home during the day or wait until I get the house to myself to fire up the amps.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nice to know that I'm not the only night slut here! I work a graveyard shift at a hospital , and the great thing about it is I work 3 days a week with 4 off, bit not in a row. No kids but almost married, and the misses supports my addiction. But it is hard to find time with everything going on in my life. Schedules just don't work for me, I just record at night when I can and on my days off. Keep this thread going!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Lucky lot of you without kids: they absorb more of my time and energy than I care to admit, tho I love them all dearly (3 boys @ 11, 3 and 9 months).

The way I see it, art/life are almost ALWAYS at odds with one another - when your artistic side it at it's peak, the family/relationship is at a low, and vice-versa.

Somehow it's all about the balance: I'm still working to achieve this, but I truly believe there is a middle ground waiting for me...
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead View Post
Lucky lot of you without kids: they absorb more of my time and energy than I care to admit, tho I love them all dearly (3 boys @ 11, 3 and 9 months).

The way I see it, art/life are almost ALWAYS at odds with one another - when your artistic side it at it's peak, the family/relationship is at a low, and vice-versa.

Somehow it's all about the balance: I'm still working to achieve this, but I truly believe there is a middle ground waiting for me...
Yes, for me I relate to this. I only have one daughter but thats when it really changed. She's almost two. I don't want to miss a minute but even if i did, its hard to break away to find time.

This wasn't anywhere near as much of a problem before she was born. When it was just my wife and I I could get through a good 8 hours a week no problem and thats fine for me.

Good to see we're all not giving up! I find strength in your struggles if that makes any sense!

Russell
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
Yeah lots of us in the same boat. I basically gave up on fitness 10 years ago! Just eat healthy. Luckily no kids and presently sans woman, so things have improved considerably, and plan to stay this way for at least a year to complete a few projects! I also plan recording time, usually Tuesday or Wednesday evenings 7-11pm and saturday afternoon, 3-7pm. It helps.

Best line ever!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
I completely disagree. The more your life is blessed the better your art will be.

However, you have to hone the skills to play and record early in order to better express the music when responsibility comes.

I am blessed that I became an accomplished player and recorder as a young man so that I only need to concentrate on writing songs. The recording is easy.
Valid point.

I also lump myself in the 'accomplished musician' camp, however, affording a few 'solitary' hrs. is more difficult now than it ever was with 1 kid. Probably your situation is different, as all of ours should be...

That said, ANY uncluttered free time - recording or songwriting is a blessing!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
Definitely. Simplifying is the answer and making enough time to write by learning to write away from the studio and away from an instrument.

Writing "in your head" and coming up with melody and lyrics away from an instrument is actually a better approach to song writing for me and fits well with the less time than we would like camp that we are in. Try it.
Actually I do a ton of this out of necessity on pads, napkins, hands etc. Hard to write and drive but stoplights help. I definately hear you there..

Russell
Old 11th November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

I have to say I don't feel your pain..I take care of our house and family, the wife works..so the kids are in school and I am playing music all day, and the wife NEVER bothers me when she is home cuz she likes to play her computer games when she has time so I am in the studio all the time..I just need to stop being lazy and start making more music and kick my surfing GS addiction....So I have all the time I want to make music and all I really do is...read about making music,pitiful right.. I know
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
I have to say I don't feel your pain..I take care of our house and family, the wife works..so the kids are in school and I am playing music all day, and the wife NEVER bothers me when she is home cuz she likes to play her computer games when she has time so I am in the studio all the time..I just need to stop being lazy and start making more music and kick my surfing GS addiction....So I have all the time I want to make music and all I really do is...read about making music,pitiful right.. I know
I've battled with this myself at times. I too have 3 boys and 1 on the way with a beautiful wife who is the backbone of my family. I work full time at least 50+ hours a week, mostly waking up before 6:00am. I also serve at my church which can be time consuming but it's what I love.

I usually record Teusday and Thursday nights from 7-10pm and mix whenever I get a free minute, which usually is after all the kids are asleep. I rarely get to bed before midnight and have to say that I am at the verge of something having to give.

It won't be my family so it will either my job or the studio. If I could only save enough money to live on for maybe 3-6 months and take that time to focus on the work in my studio, I'm sure I would be able to do it full time. It's just that bumper of time to do what I need to do. I'm booked 'till I don't know when. I literally am having trouble saying yes to any more friends/clients.

I'm also in the process of re-finishing my basement/garage into a full out facility so it's been a beast!

Glad to see the replies with people in a similar boat.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have a 40hr, also. I rarely record at night. I work in a machine shop and my hands and ears--even with protection--are pretty well hammered after nine hours. I try to use time when Mrs. Goat is gone, although she is very supportive and will be quiet when I need her to be. She'll even push the red button for me if she doesn't have school work to do. (she's in the last of her student teaching)

I had more time for lyric writing before I became "the guy" at work. You know, something is broken. "Don't worry, we got a guy who can fix it."heh
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear