The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
classic albums made with drugs Modulation Plugins
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

classic albums made with drugs

aren't all classic albums made by drug / alcohol addicts ?

let's make a list. here's what i can think of (might be wrong)

Nirvana - Nevermind (cannabis / heroin)
Pink Floyd - DSOTM (cannabis)
Beatles - Sgt Pepper (cannabis / LSD)
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Catch a Fire (cannabis)
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland (heroin)
Metallica - Master of Puppets (alcohol)
Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks (heroin)
Jeff Buckley - Grace (heroin)
Radiohead - Kid A (cannabis)

here's a list of classic albums
The RS 500 Greatest Albums of All Time : Rolling Stone

the real question might be : what classic album was made WITHOUT drugs

and

do we have to take drugs to make a classic record ?
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

get your self on heroin and see if you make a classic
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

And I want a list of albums that got alcohol spilt over their mastertapes. But Sonic Youths "confusion is sex" deserves a mention because of coca cola spilt.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Are you sure about Buckley? Heroin?

Drugs expand your perception, it can be helpful, but within reason... or maybe not... maybe you should freak out (with or without drugs) and be a bit crazy to make something really classic...

There are many "sober" or "clean" classics, too, just not so many in jazz and rock'n'roll...

And also - I am quite sure that they performed and recorded in the more or less sober state - at least most of them...

Even most of Grateful Dead and Hendrix studio albums, I guess - you cannot play on such a level under acid...

So to add at least

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Grateful Dead - everything
The Doors - everything

Honestly - I am not a regular "abuser", but I hardly know a musician that doesn't smoke pot. It just does things to music perception that would be foolish not to experience from time to time... What do you think? But I have never seen anyone perform satisfactory while being stoned - feeling good, yes, but if you record it - not something special most of the time. But having that "expanded" experience and transfering it later in the sober state into art - that's what usually works fine. I am not so "experienced" though.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Spacemen 3 has an album called : Take drugs to make music to take drugs to. heh
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Heroin does not seem like a good idea:

shoot up, soil yourself, go for a take?
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

Syd Barrett's legendary drug-use is very evident on Piper at the Gates of Dawn, one of my faves.

I'm also pretty sure the Verve were heavily influenced for A Storm in Heaven, another psychedelic masterpiece. What, not a classic you say? It should be!

But isn't most worthwhile music made with the influence of drugs anyways?...
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post

If you're thinking of Sid Vicious being a heroin addict, he didn't play a note on Never Mind The Bollocks. Steve Jones played guitar and bass on the whole album as Vicious was in hospital at the time of recording.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear
The Velvet Underground & Nico. 1967..... Speaks for Itself.

1. "Sunday Morning"
2. "I'm Waiting for the Man"
3. "Femme Fatale"
4. "Venus in Furs"
5. "Run Run Run"
6. "All Tomorrow's Parties"
7. "Heroin"
8. "There She Goes Again"
9. "I'll Be Your Mirror"
10. "The Black Angel's Death Song"
11. "European Son"

Edit.. i see its in the top 500 @ number 13
One that should be in the top 100 is
Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake
Small Faces (1968)
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

your citing artists, I would imagine the engineers and/or producers were sober. Another thought would be, how many takes did it take to get it right while in an altered state?
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
Are you sure about Buckley? Heroin?

Drugs expand your perception, it can be helpful, but within reason... or maybe not... maybe you should freak out (with or without drugs) and be a bit crazy to make something really classic...

There are many "sober" or "clean" classics, too, just not so many in jazz and rock'n'roll...

And also - I am quite sure that they performed and recorded in the more or less sober state - at least most of them...

Even most of Grateful Dead and Hendrix studio albums, I guess - you cannot play on such a level under acid...

So to add at least

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Grateful Dead - everything
The Doors - everything

Honestly - I am not a regular "abuser", but I hardly know a musician that doesn't smoke pot. It just does things to music perception that would be foolish not to experience from time to time... What do you think? But I have never seen anyone perform satisfactory while being stoned - feeling good, yes, but if you record it - not something special most of the time. But having that "expanded" experience and transfering it later in the sober state into art - that's what usually works fine. I am not so "experienced" though.
I definitely understand what you mean.
Mind you, I don't inject or take any of the really dirty drugs (meth, cocaine) or anything like that and I take pretty good care of my health.
I certainly will NEVER play guitar and bass guitar under the influence and never write under the influence, but the drugs I've consumed (acid and pot generally) have been influences on my music and expanding my mind in general in ways that wouldn't have been possible had I never taken them.

And mind you , this is from a guy who used to be really anti drug and believed that sort of stuff couldn't expand your mind. How wrong I was.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

while drugs have negative side effects, they're a good way to shortcut your brain and make you feel more inspired, and get rid of the stress.

i have a hard time finishing songs, so do a lot of musicians i know. none of us do drugs at all.
pot makes me sleep

Jeff Buckley and heroin : heard that in a tv interview
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

i think the whole idea of being more creative under the influence can be true.
this is due to the altered state that allows you to exist differently than normal, thus allowing you to create differently than normal.

and everything in moderation.

i screwed myself up quite a bit back when, i remember being on the road at sxsw and running out of cheeba and getting sick as hell.

my band was so pissed and i screwed up the next several shows, and im not even going to get into rehab and maintanance therapy:(

theres a thin line between recreational drugs and addiction, and gambling with drugs is never a sure thing!
Old 11th November 2009

Quote:

here's a list of classic albums
The RS 500 Greatest Albums of All Time : Rolling Stone

the real question might be : what classic album was made WITHOUT drugs

and

dont believe the hype.

.... great interview ten-ish years ago with Keith Richards - classic quote would be "I've done a lot but if I'd taken half of what people think I've done I'd be dead. "
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hughes View Post
Mind you, I don't inject or take any of the really dirty drugs (meth, cocaine) or anything like that and I take pretty good care of my health.
I certainly will NEVER play guitar and bass guitar under the influence and never write under the influence, but the drugs I've consumed (acid and pot generally) have been influences on my music and expanding my mind in general in ways that wouldn't have been possible had I never taken them.

And mind you , this is from a guy who used to be really anti drug and believed that sort of stuff couldn't expand your mind. How wrong I was.
Then we are quite similar in this regard...
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

If I did drugs, and made an album, then I would know that my perception of good and bad, and also my performance wouldn't be the same as then I was sober, so I wouldn't like the sound of it as much - as if I had done it sober - after the drugs wore off. So unless I plan to be high for most of my life, then I wouldn't do an album on drugs. If I find that something on drugs gives me a better sensation of life and gratification, then I would enable that IRL .. so I wouldn't need the foul stuff.

When we are sober, and we like an album that is done with heavy intake of drugs, does this mean that when the musicians (who made it) are sober they don't like it? Does being high mean that albums - that were made being sober - sound worse?
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
dont believe the hype.

.... great interview ten-ish years ago with Keith Richards - classic quote would be "I've done a lot but if I'd taken half of what people think I've done I'd be dead. "
+1 STOP spreading that BULL**** !!!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nirvana's Nevermind came way before the heroin use.

I remember one tour where Jon Anderson would intro 'And You And I' by talking about how they were drinking mushroom tea during the recording.
Old 11th November 2009
member no 666

Quote:
No, you need talent and imagination to make a classic record, both of which seem to be in far shorter supply than chemical solutions. If drugs help you achieve imagination, and you have the requisite talent, then they're not an impediment to the process... however, you really need the talent an imagination before you add the chemical stimulus package or you'll just be another homeless idiot with a substance abuse problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I would imagine the engineers and/or producers were sober.
You would imagine quite incorrectly in a great majority of the albums cited in the "top 500" list.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

tons of records are made under influence of drugs (including alcohol wich is also a drug), and tons without. It surely has an influence, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Most drugs are always bad (herion, cocaine, xtc, crack ...) some are in moderate use for some people rather benificial (weed, hash, alcohol, mushrooms) but at the end it's how you handle it.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict
It's in your head, not in your drugs.

Like the tittle suggests(it doesn't say illegal drugs), all albums probably have cafein, some sort of aspirin or pill, tobacco, etc etc etc.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
your citing artists, I would imagine the engineers and/or producers were sober.
Exactly.

I remember in my band (back in the 70s), we played and recorded some amazing, mindblowing, out-of-this-world stuff while being in 'an altered state of mind'... or so we thought. Listening to the tapes sober, we were always fast to erase that crap.

You need someone with a clear head while recording. In a best-case scenario, that involves everyone in the studio.

My 2 Euro Cents...
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneider View Post
Heroin does not seem like a good idea:

shoot up, soil yourself, go for a take?
Some folks seem to write good 'love songs' dedicated to heroin.

The LA's - There she goes
The Only Ones - Another Girl another Planet
Lou Reed - (the cryptically entitled) Heroin
The Stranglers - Golden Brown
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

The 60's got alot of things right, drugs wasn't one of them. Drugs and moderation don't seem to go hand in hand, especially for creative types. If this thread goes long enough I'm sure it will spin off to who made those albums died of drug overdose/commited suicide due in part to heavy drug use spiral.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:

bob marley....wow...seriously? are you sure about that?
Old 11th November 2009
a few not mentioned yet:

Stooges (everything under the sun and then some!)
Fleetwood Mac (alcohol / cocain)
Blondie (cocain / heroin)
Moterhead (alcohol / speed)

etc, etc, etc, all classic bands with more than one classic album, obviously not all band members partook but still.

and all the dub greats, Lee Perry, King Tubby, Prince Jammy (cannabis)

more recently:

Massive Attack (cannabis / mdma)
Leftfield (cannabis / mdma)
Portishead (cannabis / heroin / alcohol)
Prodigy (cannabis / mdma / alcohol)
Underworld (cannabis / mdma)
Happy Mondays (cannabis / mdma / alcohol / heroin)
QOTSA (everything and anything)
Depeche Mode (alcohol / cocain / heroin)
Thievery Corporation (cannabis)

Possibly some of U2s albums were made without any major drugs, just booze?
Kraftwerk?

Old 11th November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hughes View Post

I just used to love acid..All my friends smoked weed and I think I am alergic to it because I throw up and get sick off one hit, all my life I could not smoke it..but I loved LSD...wish I still knew where to get it actually..
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Drugs and moderation don't seem to go hand in hand
Hey! I resemble that remark!

What seems to be the problem ossifer?
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up View Post
imo :

this forum holds responsibility to not motivate people to do something based on some " hollywood storys ".

whats next ? you need to stick 3 melons up your ass to play accordeon ?
So don't do drugs, Mmmkay? drugs are bad MMMkay?

Yes 3 melons are needed, ever wondered why those accordeon players have those weird smiles on their faces?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search