The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
classic albums made with drugs Modulation Plugins
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear

caffeine?
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear
I think it was Neil Young who said "it's not the drugs, it's the attitude that goes with them". That sounds more relevant than trying to track while wasted.

I'll add Tonight's the Night to the list, after all Tequila is a drug too heh
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Head
everything by bobmarley
almost everything by the beatles
everything by parliament/funkadelic
everything by led zeppelin
1970's david bowie stuff
everything red hot chili peppers before one hot minute
everything by guns and roses
most of the good stuff by pink floyd
lots of iggy pop stuff
hendrix, doors, acdc, sabbath, almost all modern dance music, hip hop

even the wiggles used to hire hookers for their recording sessions, just so they could snort big lines of coke off their naked breasts.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Guru

These artists were definitely not angels.

Rod Stewart & The Faces
Blue Cheer
Doobie Brothers & Steely Dan
Alice Cooper
Aerosmith
Janis Joplin
Stones
Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
Grateful Dead
Allman Brothers

Pretty much everyone at Woodstock!

In the groups I worked with, the problem drug was alcohol much more than
pot or more dangerous harder substances.

Alcohol affects motor skills unlike Marijuana

Nothing was worse than trying to play tight with a drunk drummer.

Marijuana may or may not affect, creativity, motivation and concentration, but otherwise
used alone was harmless.

Cocaine, Heroin, Opiated Pain Killers & Speed most dangerous.

My boss at work confessed he had a $1000.00 per month cocaine habit as well as a drinking problem.

I had to pull him aside on a few occasions to tell him he reeked of alcohol.

I'm experienced enough to know what will hurt you and what won't and what
substances will tear a group and families apart.

I've been drunk twice in my entire life, both times before I turned 14.

I'm lucky I never wanted to feel like that again.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Todd Rundgren has said that he recorded Something/Anything? whilst consuming large quantities of Ritalin, and that he was finishing songs at a ridiculous pace. And that that's why all the rhymes are like June/Spoon/Moon.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Guru

Nothing, and I mean nothing has been more dangerous or more difficult to
to control than my severe addiction to cigarettes.

I can walk away from any other substance, but if I run out of cigarettes, I'm a complete wreck.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiesarebad View Post
Todd Rundgren has said that he recorded Something/Anything? whilst consuming large quantities of Ritalin, and that he was finishing songs at a ridiculous pace. And that that's why all the rhymes are like June/Spoon/Moon.

yes - according to wiki:

In the lead-up to his third album, Something/Anything?, he was experimenting with various mind-altering substances including marijuana, and a range of psychedelics including DMT, magic mushrooms, and peyote – although he says he never (to his knowledge) took LSD. During the recording of Something/Anything?, he began using the stimulant Ritalin and he later said that it had a marked effect both on the style of his music and on his productivity:

"It (Ritalin) caused me to crank out songs at an incredible pace. 'I Saw the Light' took me all of 20 minutes. You can see why, too, the rhymes are just moon/June/spoon kind of stuff..."[11]

Speaking of the effect on A Wizard, A True Star (1973), Rundgren commented:

"With drugs I could suddenly abstract my thought processes in a certain way, and I wanted to see if I could put them on a record. A lot of people recognised it as the dynamics of a psychedelic trip—it was almost like painting with your head."[11]

Magic mushrooms certainly influenced Gong (early lps in particular) and prob some of Steve Hillage's lps too.

LSD also of course destroyed some great musicians - Syd Barrett and Peter Green for example, and some of my friends too, as has alcohol.

Not a big fan of drugs at all....they warp people's reality to that of the 'drug's reality', so that everyone else is 'wrong', and 'doesn't understand', missing out on the 'harmless fun'...very, very insidious.
Psychedelics should never be used in a 'recreational' way - in Todd Rungren's case, he appeared to 'use' them to get to another level with his music - as did Carlos Santana (Soul Sacrifice at Woodstock a good example of someone holding it together - he was apparently peaking on mescaline during the gig, hallucinating that his guitar had turned into a snake).

Possibly one of the most 'psychedelic' albums I can think of is one called 'Puzzle', by the Mandrake Memorial. A very unusual and diverse listen - fans of 60s psych should def own a copy of this.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Nut

Zappa
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Guru

If something grows naturally and is never processed, refined chemically or altered, then there's a good chance it was meant to be here.

Responsible, Prudent, Recreational Use does not in any way imply Abuse.

Every last one of us has known someone who simply cannot control themselves,
be it with drugs & alcohol, Food, buying gear, women, you name it.

The minute you stereotype you lose objectivity.
Old 18th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrobot View Post
Zappa
As far as I know he never recorded high, just copious amount of caffeine.
Old 18th January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
As far as I know he never recorded high, just copious amount of caffeine.
John Frusciante quote: “(...) or do you want to be in Frank Zappa’s band, where you’ll be told what to do all the time, not allowed to take drugs, and it’s kind of a square band so there’s not going to be a lot of girls at the shows?” (1986)

That being said:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (weed and probably coke)
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Responsible, Prudent, Recreational Use does not in any way imply Abuse.
I agree of course with that - but certain subsatnces can have a habit of creeping up on you from behind and changing the goalposts.

Some natural psychedelics are very enlightening indeed, and in many cases probably not that addictive, if at all.

Quote:

Every last one of us has known someone who simply cannot control themselves,
be it with drugs & alcohol, Food, buying gear, women, you name it.
The problem with any type of 'recreational' drug (I'm excluding food, gear and women in this sentence) is walking that fine line . It is a tightrope walk really. I would never advise anyone to step out onto the rope.

You're right though - there's habits/addictions to be had everywhere - from stamp collecting to spending too much time on this forum..(which might well help people make classic albums..)
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Guru

Play in a bar band in front of standing room only drunk coeds from Georgetown and AU long enough and the enticement to partake in stoopidness subsides.

Driving home one night in a hard rain on Canal Road heading to Chain Bridge with disappearing road lines and messed up motor skills and barely being able to
see, was the scariest night of my life. I had 3 drinks over 5 hours, never again.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Maniac

the most drug induced album i can think of is Cold Sun / Dark Shadows (1969). Supposedly all written and recorded under the influence of peyote.

it's WAY out there and certainly not for everyone, but it happens to be one of my all time favorite albums. Pretty obviously psychedelic 60s music, yet doesn't sound like anything else i'd heard before.

Last edited by zombiesarebad; 18th January 2014 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: trying to make it make sense (been awake for 24 hours (not because of drugs))
Old 18th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie View Post
... to spending too much time on this forum....
Too much time reading, or too much time posting? Different addictions, hopefully, with different causes and cures.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Too much time reading, or too much time posting? Different addictions, hopefully, with different causes and cures.
ha - who knows - am reading your post while listening to the Cold Sun lp mentioned in the post above, whilst trying to mix a track (when I should actually be doing other work!)....hmm...if I had to give something up, I'd say out of the three, I'm finding it hardest to turn off the Cold Sun lp...liking it a lot so far - thanks for the tip zombie.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Guru

Soft Machine & Ultimate Spinach,

just possibly :-)

This thread has a bunch of references.

What's the most psychedelic song put out?
Old 18th January 2014
I can tell you how not fun recording and practice is when your guitar/bass/drummer is nodding out and missing notes and ****.

It's almost more frustrating when your not even out of the garage yet and theres rockstar sized drug habits already.

I partially work alone because of all of that. I've done my share, but at no point did I allow it to become more important then the music, my job, my family or my life. And alot of people have a hard time with that.

Beside that, I got more money for gears now.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

I can honestly count the number of sessions on my fingers & toes over my 25+ years that didn't have at least alcohol & pot consumed (and copious amounts of caffeine & nicotine- although I've finally stopped the butts, which was far tougher than other things)- let alone harder material.

I certainly will not reveal anyone but I've also made some records that had major **** going on. One thing I noticed is that some can work fine and some can't. Especially when it comes to drummers. God knew what he was doing when he invented recording and made drums the first order of business in the session
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
I can honestly count the number of sessions on my fingers & toes over my 25+ years that didn't have at least alcohol & pot consumed...
When I was doing a lot of jingle sessions in the 80's, a couple of the "usual suspect" drummers would step into the drum iso and immediately push the mic away from the floor tom. Because that wasn't what the floor tom was gonna get used for. This would be at, like, 8 am. Yikes.
Old 18th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrobot View Post
Zappa
Frank Zappa always claimed to never have used drugs of any kind. Who knows if it was true or not.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Frank Zappa always claimed to never have used drugs of any kind. Who knows if it was true or not.
Never met him, but I have worked with a fair number of guys who either recorded or gigged with him, including some who went all the way back to the early Mothers. It's painting them with a broad brush, I know, but in general they seem like jazz cats but not the junkie kind. More nerdy, if anything.

So I can easily believe that Zappa was clean, except for the cigs.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Some of the lyrics on 'we're only in it for the money' back this up to an extent, and crack me up too - ..prob my favourite Zappa album - such a great pisstake lp, yet totally incredible too , and more psychedelic than most of the 'real' psych bands.

'Who needs the peace corp' lyrics (from the lp) :

What's there to live for?
Who needs the peace corps?
Think I'll just DROP OUT
I'll go to Frisco
Buy a wig & sleep
On Owsley's floor
Walked past the wig store
Danced at the Fillmore
I'm completely stoned
I'm hippy & I'm trippy
I'm a gypsy on my own
I'll stay a week & get the crabs &
Take a bus back home
I'm really just a phony
But forgive me
'Cause I'm stoned
Every town must have a place
Where phony hippies meet
Psychedelic dungeons
Popping up every street
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Addict

Ray Charles - smack.. and the rest
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbob View Post
everything by bobmarley
almost everything by the beatles
everything by parliament/funkadelic
everything by led zeppelin
1970's david bowie stuff
everything red hot chili peppers before one hot minute
everything by guns and roses
most of the good stuff by pink floyd
lots of iggy pop stuff
hendrix, doors, acdc, sabbath, almost all modern dance music, hip hop

even the wiggles used to hire hookers for their recording sessions, just so they could snort big lines of coke off their naked breasts.
Going on a trip, writing about it and reflecting on it in the studio later? Absolutely. Trying to nail a tough harmony in the chorus or bang out a tight lead in the bridge while tripping out on acid or doing a bunch of rails? Yeah, no.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Trying to nail a tough harmony in the chorus or bang out a tight lead in the bridge while tripping out on acid or doing a bunch of rails? Yeah, no.
"Trying" is the operative word. I sat through an awful lot of graveyard-shift overdub sessions where the producer was home in bed while a band member or two tried to make some forward progress. Tripping? No. But alternating lines & swigs of Jack? All the time.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
"Trying" is the operative word. I sat through an awful lot of graveyard-shift overdub sessions where the producer was home in bed while a band member or two tried to make some forward progress. Tripping? No. But alternating lines & swigs of Jack? All the time.
Oh I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I think a distinction needs to be made between writing an album influenced by drugs verses being on drugs when in-session. Strawberry Fields was influenced by LCD, but they were not tripping on acid in the studio when those tracks were cut.

I wouldn't call Jack and rails really mind-opening either: maybe a little bit of courage or to loosen up (with a kick in the energy department), for sure.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Nothing, and I mean nothing has been more dangerous or more difficult to
to control than my severe addiction to cigarettes.

I can walk away from any other substance, but if I run out of cigarettes, I'm a complete wreck.
Yep, fags were the hard one. Until life gave me the present of motivation in the form of a pneumothorax which took 5 chest drains and an operation over 4 weeks of hell to fix. Now not smoking it easy.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Oh I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I think a distinction needs to be made between writing an album influenced by drugs verses being on drugs when in-session. Strawberry Fields was influenced by LCD, but they were not tripping on acid in the studio when those tracks were cut.

I wouldn't call Jack and rails really mind-opening either: maybe a little bit of courage or to loosen up (with a kick in the energy department), for sure.
They might not have been tripping but were surely running out for cheeky spliffs.......
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
They might not have been tripping but were surely running out for cheeky spliffs.......
Yeah, I think they used to hide from George in the echo chambers.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search