The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
classic albums made with drugs Modulation Plugins
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

"The Beatles were so ****ing high they let Ringo sing a few tunes!"

Thanks a lot. I just spit coffee all over my keyboard.
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

tell me a musician that´s stone cold sober
sorry, i dint read the whole thread..
the druqs don´t work , they just make it worse , but i know and so on... english lyrics...not like i´m the one, orgasmatron and so on, long live lemmy
there is no druque like cocaine for mxing imo, but it kills you
clear but in the game, totally sane but creative idiotic
don´t do it, sanity, stamina, serenity, drug free, have a family, peace
like jack daniels on stereoids but totally in the game
peace
druqs suck
don´t believe the kesha mick jagger thing, if you´re new
i lost some friends at this, its not funny, just idiotic
run, swim, cycle, whatever, don´t get cought in the rock´n roll myth. you´ll die a long death
if you´re young, you think you´re stronger than all, you´re not
live druque free
peace
Old 13th July 2010
Just my personal experience and point of view - drugs are a waste of time and do not enhance or enlighten oneself. Life is much better sober, and I am a happier, more fulfilled and all round better person now that I have come to realise this. Obviously I can only say so for myself, and I do not judge others for what they do.

In regards to the topic, drugs are just a small part of what a person does, and so it's a small part of what makes a good album. Like everyone else has been saying, you need creativity and talent first and foremost!
Old 13th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Random comments in no particular order:

Best album produced by tequila: "Tonight's the Night" That is one instance where getting completely ****faced was essential to the music that happened. I can't deny the greatness of that album.

I have weird body chemistry, pot sets off panic attacks, alcohol makes me feel terrible. I'm just not interested.

Nothing can even come close to the feeling when you are "plugged in" to the muse and music is coming through you like you're not even there... I'm sure many, if not most, musicians use drugs at least partly to call down the muse and get that feeling which is beyond what the drug can provide... unfortunately the drug often becomes the end instead of the means. And that is the end of so many great artists.

My dad died of alcohol & substance abuse, not before he lost all the family money, cashed out all the family insurance, left my mom devastated & penniless... didn't exactly help me either...

I hate when the crowd erupts into a huge cheer when Clapton or whoever starts up "Cocaine." if it were me I'd stop the music right there and say "what the f*ck are you cheering for? Death?"

I never allowed anyone to use illegal drugs on my studio premises. I know someone who lost his studio by allowing rampant drug use there. He had to cop a plea part of which was not to run or own a recording studio for 5 years. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Rufus Wainwright - Poses- Crystal Meth

Wilco-- Summerteeth, Mermaid Ave v1 and 2, YHF, AGIB. - Opiods

Ryan Adams- Heartbreaker- Painkillers, Alcohol, Weed, Coke, heroin

Ween- The Pod- Scotchguard.
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

You are foolish and naive if you think that alcohol or narcotics add anything worthwhile to making music.
On the other hand... if you like sloppily played music you might could say that you enjoy it.

I promise you that any record made while the artists were under the influence was turned into something listenable by someone who had to endure and deal with the problems caused by the inebriated people.

You are also extremely foolish and extremely naive if you admire the output from inebriated and or addicted people.

I am turning 55 in a few months.
Let me tell you about the great players I have known who are quite ill or even dead from years of alcohol and drugs.
In a nutshell... the people I know who do not use drugs and drink a lot are successful and largely happy.
The people I know who chose not to be sober are ALL screwed-up and many are in their last days or have died.
It isn't even debate-able.
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
There is a ton of misinformation in this thread.

- c
As opposed to all the other threads on GS?

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Waking and baking and reading this thread...

Now all together now! (just the heads)

"Sex and drugs and rock and roll...

Are all my brain and body needs...

Sex and drugs and rock and roll...

Are very good indeed..."

--- Ian Drury

Old 13th July 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
You are foolish and naive blah blah blah judging you from my lofty pedestal
Old 14th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hughes View Post

And mind you , this is from a guy who used to be really anti drug and believed that sort of stuff couldn't expand your mind. How wrong I was.
I have to agree with you. However in the interest of impressionable youth I would say that drugs like that now seem to me like the Ripple wine of spirituality. Cheap stuff that's bad for your health. Meditation is the way.
Old 14th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughjass View Post
Just my personal experience and point of view - drugs are a waste of time
Without reading your entire post, I knew there would be a religious link at the bottom. There always is, you see. 'Cause we all need this drug:

E.

Not as in Ecstacy -- but as in Endorphins.

Some people prefer LSD to trigger their neurotransmitters, others prefer Christ or Buddha or Bourbon.

It's all cool.
Old 21st April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbieinstein View Post
I have to agree with you. However in the interest of impressionable youth I would say that drugs like that now seem to me like the Ripple wine of spirituality. Cheap stuff that's bad for your health. Meditation is the way.
I dont have kids so Im not gonna lie..after all, didnt you know when grownups were lying to you and I hope you didnt follow their BS. You will never get a damn thing out of meditation that you will out of drugs. If used properly and not abused drugs can give you insight and empathy that is impossible to get any other way. You may not get damaged by meditation as quickly as by drugs, but meditation will NEVER give you an experience anything close to LSD. I aint gonna lie....there are also some people who cant tie their shoes anymore from LSD either. YOu have to make the decision yourself but lying to a kid never works.
Old 21st April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
You are foolish and naive if you think that alcohol or narcotics add anything worthwhile to making music.
On the other hand... if you like sloppily played music you might could say that you enjoy it.

I promise you that any record made while the artists were under the influence was turned into something listenable by someone who had to endure and deal with the problems caused by the inebriated people.

You are also extremely foolish and extremely naive if you admire the output from inebriated and or addicted people.

I am turning 55 in a few months.
Let me tell you about the great players I have known who are quite ill or even dead from years of alcohol and drugs.
In a nutshell... the people I know who do not use drugs and drink a lot are successful and largely happy.
The people I know who chose not to be sober are ALL screwed-up and many are in their last days or have died.
It isn't even debate-able.
were those sober people you know as successfull or anywhere near as successfull as people like Jerry Garcia, Jimmy Hendrix, Keith RIchards, John Lennon, Paul McCartney (2 of the geniuses on this list are still going and have probably done more drugs than you and your friends)...you just cant make that kind of argument when it comes to art. Maybe accounting but not art.
Old 21st April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
anything by UFO !!! they signed a major record deal and got paid in coke !!!! Now thats ROCK 'N'ROLL !!!
This cant be true but great story....
bottom line should be (and I notice alot of people in this thread have opinions based on the fact that they have children and now suddenly they feel the need to set an example )

NEVER KNOCK THE WAY THE OTHER CAT SWINGS.
simple rule in life I follow everyday.

Steely Dan made some great albums on coke.
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillytheMTN View Post
were those sober people you know as successfull or anywhere near as successfull as people like Jerry Garcia, Jimmy Hendrix, Keith RIchards, John Lennon, Paul McCartney (2 of the geniuses on this list are still going and have probably done more drugs than you and your friends)...you just cant make that kind of argument when it comes to art. Maybe accounting but not art.
(Did drugs really improve your spelling skills? )

Easy. I used to explain to a friend of mine how totally knocked out I was by Jimi Hendrix's music and cited 'Bold as Love' as a great example. How did he come up with music and lyrics like that?

'Acid' my friend responded. Well, almost everybody else at that time also did acid but never ever came up with any thing half as great as 'Bold as love'.

The problem with bands like the Grateful Dead is that you have to do drugs yourself to 'understand' their music.
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yup, without sober people to fix everything, these guys would have sucked!
Old 22nd April 2011
Gear Head

Its probably been said but alice in chains dirt is one of the greatest albums ever in all aspecs....the songs,the recording,producing

Sent from my DROID2 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 22nd April 2011
yor
Gear Head
I couldn't read through all of these replies, I'm sure this has already been mentioned but Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is a classic LSD album.

Supposedly John and George were tripping during the cover photo shoot. And I swear you can see it in their eyes if you look closely.

Its hard to say which albums were recorded on drugs. So I go by which ones sound the best to me on drugs.
Pink Floyd always comes up but I think they largely chilled out on the psychedelics by the time they were making the stuff I really like. To me, DSOTM is an LSD album whether or not they were taking LSD when they recorded it. Hendrix's Electric Ladyland always struck me as an exceptionally psychedelic album.

There are a lot of different kinds of drugs out there. Musicians could go into a studio and smoke tons of grass and probably even do some harder drugs and still get things done. But with psychedelics...It is very hard to focus and get work done. As soon as you start tripping, all your plans and obligations for the day go out the window, you turn off your cell phone and hide your keys and money somewhere safe where you will not touch them for the next twelve hours. To be in a professional recording studio, that costs a ton of money to use, and be frying, and have all of these people relying on you to do what you do, to just simply be able to sing/play the songs you know well. And you can't do it because you are too high...You'd have to be the beatles to pull something like that off. I'm sure even John Lennon postponed vocal tracking if he found himself tripping too hard to form sentences.

Besides, LSD is a heavy impact, a long, slow decline back to complete normalcy after the trip. These artists probably ate LSD, came down for a couple days, said, "wow, man, that was heavy, I've got an idea for a song..." And then smoked grass, drank, stimulants and opiates in the studio if anything.
Old 22nd April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
(Did drugs really improve your spelling skills? )

Easy. I used to explain to a friend of mine how totally knocked out I was by Jimi Hendrix's music and cited 'Bold as Love' as a great example. How did he come up with music and lyrics like that?

'Acid' my friend responded. Well, almost everybody else at that time also did acid but never ever came up with any thing half as great as 'Bold as love'.

The problem with bands like the Grateful Dead is that you have to do drugs yourself to 'understand' their music.
Totallly sorie about the spelling man. Im pretty sure you wont get this either.,.,“Our audience is like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice.”-JG

If you dont get it I dont have the time to teach ya. (by the way old Allen Ginsberg, who's quote you are using in your sig did plenty of hard drugs to get to that place to buddy...no spell check THIS)
Old 22nd April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by yor View Post
I couldn't read through all of these replies, I'm sure this has already been mentioned but Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is a classic LSD album.

Supposedly John and George were tripping during the cover photo shoot. And I swear you can see it in their eyes if you look closely.

Its hard to say which albums were recorded on drugs. So I go by which ones sound the best to me on drugs.
Pink Floyd always comes up but I think they largely chilled out on the psychedelics by the time they were making the stuff I really like. To me, DSOTM is an LSD album whether or not they were taking LSD when they recorded it. Hendrix's Electric Ladyland always struck me as an exceptionally psychedelic album.

There are a lot of different kinds of drugs out there. Musicians could go into a studio and smoke tons of grass and probably even do some harder drugs and still get things done. But with psychedelics...It is very hard to focus and get work done. As soon as you start tripping, all your plans and obligations for the day go out the window, you turn off your cell phone and hide your keys and money somewhere safe where you will not touch them for the next twelve hours. To be in a professional recording studio, that costs a ton of money to use, and be frying, and have all of these people relying on you to do what you do, to just simply be able to sing/play the songs you know well. And you can't do it because you are too high...You'd have to be the beatles to pull something like that off. I'm sure even John Lennon postponed vocal tracking if he found himself tripping too hard to form sentences.

Besides, LSD is a heavy impact, a long, slow decline back to complete normalcy after the trip. These artists probably ate LSD, came down for a couple days, said, "wow, man, that was heavy, I've got an idea for a song..." And then smoked grass, drank, stimulants and opiates in the studio if anything.
couldnt agree more..its happened to me...but yea, only the Beatles could have pulled that **** off.
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
(by the way old Allen Ginsberg, who's quote you are using in your sig did plenty of hard drugs to get to that place to buddy...no spell check THIS)
No necessarily spell check, but beautiful.
Old 22nd April 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I dont have kids so Im not gonna lie..after all, didnt you know when grownups were lying to you and I hope you didnt follow their BS. You will never get a damn thing out of meditation that you will out of drugs. If used properly and not abused drugs can give you insight and empathy that is impossible to get any other way. You may not get damaged by meditation as quickly as by drugs, but meditation will NEVER give you an experience anything close to LSD. I aint gonna lie....there are also some people who cant tie their shoes anymore from LSD either. YOu have to make the decision yourself but lying to a kid never works.
Such a consumer point of view. Clearly you have not done the kind of meditation discussed in this context. I've done both and I prefer vipassana. You can't buy enlightenment at $5 a hit. You can't try on alternative consciousness like a new pair of blue jeans. I wish you all the best on your journey. And want to be clear that is just my opinion -- a different one, opposed to yours.
Old 22nd April 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1....I do not drink or do drugs anymore for over 7 years now, but the experiences I had with LSD would never have happened without it, It made me look at things in a different way, I was the guy that would use LSD as an experiment while everyone else was laughing and being stupid, I was out looking at the moon and stars....Nothing like being able to see the air..lol
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
+1....I do not drink or do drugs anymore for over 7 years now, but the experiences I had with LSD would never have happened without it, It made me look at things in a different way, I was the guy that would use LSD as an experiment while everyone else was laughing and being stupid, I was out looking at the moon and stars....Nothing like being able to see the air..lol
I believe on Aoxomoxoa, Bob Weir repeatedly told the engineer he wanted to achieve the sound of "wet air." heh
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

I think a lot of you are ALL WRONG.

People who have great talent, will make great music. Period. The drugs, generally speaking, are to compensate/medicate/alleviate other pain, mental illness, suffering, depression/anxiety they may have.

There is no causation in drugs and great music.

I will admit that a shift in one's reality can help create a shift in one's creativity - but at the end of the day: the most important ingredient in music is talent. The drugs are just a seasoning in the dish. Without drugs, the musician will still create something great (they'll just use different ingredients).
Old 22nd April 2011
I think it would be a much shorter list to look for classic albums NOT made with drugs.

YPM
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyChris View Post

People who have great talent, will make great music. Period. The drugs, generally speaking, are to compensate/medicate/alleviate other pain, mental illness, suffering, depression/anxiety they may have.

I will admit that a shift in one's reality can help create a shift in one's creativity - but at the end of the day: the most important ingredient in music is talent. The drugs are just a seasoning in the dish. Without drugs, the musician will still create something great (they'll just use different ingredients).
Talent is a concept that stems from intellectual laziness. The impulse to create music comes from a similar place as the impulse to alter one's consciousness. Experimentation has a lot to do with curiosity. The alleviation of various sorts of pain can be a factor, but when that becomes the overriding factor, addiction results and people die. As Jerry Garcia said, heroin is the "ultimate comfort drug." I think very few people would argue that heroin can have much of a beneficial impact on anyone's creative drive.

The blanket simplification/generalization that "there is no causation in drugs and great music" (aside from being rather grammatically murky) could only come from either an inexperienced or a closed minded perspective (or both), and it totally flies in the face of reality.

Of course you can argue that the great music that has come from people who were high on one thing or another, or the stylistic innovations that seemed to occur directly as a result of the particular experiments individuals were conducting upon themselves, happened in spite of whatever drug was involved. However, it is pretty much an unfalsifiable hypothesis, and hence meaningless outside the realm of opinion.

The Beatles, The Police, The Grateful Dead (for example) were all at the leading edge of innovation, and what they created grew from their particular fascinations, abilities and experience. The personel involved in each of those bands were quite enthusiastic in their experimentation, and are on record stating that there was a connection between that and the music they created.

The music we make is a direct expression of our experience as a human beings, right? The shifts in conscousness that psychoactive drugs can bring can be profound and the impact indelible, therefore, your statement discounting any causitive relationship has to be wrong. Sorry.
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post

Yup, without sober people to fix everything, these guys would have sucked!
Hilarious in it's irony yet probably partially true. It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. I was unaware that any classic albums had been made WITHOUT drugs.
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
The music we make is a direct expression of our experience as a human beings, right?...
Yes, but I know a lot of people who have lived exciting lives but can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Talent is priority #1 and as I said originally, "the main ingredient" (and please provide a link for your assertion that "talent stems from intellectual laziness" - I think you just made that up). Life experiences (drugs, triumphs, defeats, etc.) influence us, but to suggest that great music is because of drugs is complete nincompoopery.

Drugs may influence a recording in a positive or negative way: but so can chocolate cake, a broken arm, or a butterfly flapping it's wings in China.

Quote:
The Beatles, The Police, The Grateful Dead
mm...hmmm . All talentless hacks who would never have amounted to anything without drugs. Crosby, Stills and Nash probably couldn't even sing harmony without drugs. :eyeroll:

Quote:
The personel involved in each of those bands were quite enthusiastic in their experimentation, and are on record stating that there was a connection between that and the music they created.
"connection" != the "cause" of great music.
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyChris View Post

I think that totally nails it!

The problem with drugs is that they never can replace talent and work and only provide the 'stimulation' for a limited time. Many great artists that were heavy drug users did burn out fast: Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison to name a few. And drugs certainly weren't the reason for their artistic achievements.

With the oft-cited Beatles during the Pepper era it was pretty much 'in the air', everybody did psychedelic drugs and bathed in the newness of it. But look how quickly that passed and turned to heavy, ugly, much harder stuff.

Do you really think that an artist as talented as Sly Stone 'benefitted' from drugs? I think that he might have done even better and certainly more work without or with much less drugs being used.

The real question though is how this all translates to one's own work. If somebody does drugs (hopefully in a controlled way) that's o.k and their business but you certainly don't miss anything when you're sober, in fact you might use your potential much better I'd say.

I know I do, I don't mind the recreational drink or two but I work and play best when 100% sober (not counting caffeine of course )
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search