The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
classic albums made with drugs Modulation Plugins
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
On the other hand, I've attached a song recorded by IMO one of the best bands of all time, and certainly the best band that you've never heard of. I spoke with the drummer after a show in Boulder (November 2003 I believe), and he confirmed what I had often surmised - that the song could be taken quite literally. He and his Dad had been kind of estranged for part of his early adulthood, and they renewed their relationship by taking a little trip together. Give it a listen; It's a great song.
I'd love to have done that with my dad.....

Good song, thanks for posting it man.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

After a LONG session of recording and it's late at night, i like to go get a wendy's cheese burger meal, and smoke a blunt a few hours before bed time. Sometimes it helps me come up with ideas, but also it gets all the stresses of the day off of my mind.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolt45 View Post
get a wendy's cheese burger meal, and smoke a blunt a few hours before bed time. Sometimes it helps me come up with ideas, but also it gets all the stresses of the day off of my mind.
food can also be a destructive drug
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaclypse View Post
zappa was a heavy cigarette smoker. nicotine is a DRUG.
but the real reason his music is great is because he was a freakin genius
Yeah I forgot about that. I believe he once said cigarettes and coffee were his favorite vegetables.

However, I don't think we should count them in this case. Cigarettes are only mood altering when you REALLY need one. Caffeine is kid stuff.

Though they are both drugs, I don't think they belong in this thread.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdiscord View Post
It's like this: Having a drug addiction doesn't lead to having a creative mind. Having a creative mind can easily lead to having a drug addiction.

I think that pretty much sums up the confusion.
For The Win!
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdiscord View Post
It's like this: Having a drug addiction doesn't lead to having a creative mind. Having a creative mind can easily lead to having a drug addiction.
thats why most of em think : " god damn i am so creative " heh
Old 12th November 2009
If you include nicotine and alcohol then it's all of them except maybe Donnie and Marie.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

In the old days of vinyl, we did it the other way around, cleaning the seeds of our drugs on classic double albums.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
If you include nicotine and alcohol then it's all of them except maybe Donnie and Marie.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Yes and let's not forget Alcohol is a serious drug, pretty strong and toxic stuff.
And caffeïne is not kids stuff as mentioned somewhere above.
Heck as with anything it's about dosage, just enough and some beneficial enhancement for some activity might be there, too much and you are pretty much rendered useless.
But as said before it's probably talent that made those albums not the drugs.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
Yeah the only thing that rubs me the wrong way about any of this is the notion that drugs are somehow necessary for...well, anything other than being high on drugs. In all my experience, it's discipline and interest that make people make good music music; nothing else. All the rest is just either a coincidence, a lifestyle accessory or an excuse.
You don't have to do anything.

Some people are really in touch with how to connect through music. Cut the fat and get to the good stuff.

For some people changing a perspective with a drug can help you get out of your comfort zone and look at how your music would be percieved as an observer. Once you can go there using a substance its likely you can train yourself to not need the substance to find that place.

I dont' think i would ever have to smoke up again to keep the perspective i have gained on things, but its an enjoyable experience, and i will continue to do it from time to time when life allows. I certainly can't create constructively in that state and would never try to, but I can analyse, reflect, and wisen.

You can certainly do whatever you wish. I don't buy the extreme "pusher" talk from those that are extremely negative on drugs. I'm never going to meet you and certainly won't ask you to do anything, ever.

I will put this out there though. For me personally, smoking pot in moderation has been helpful to my musical perspective and my life in general. For you, things will be different.

Russell
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

I just don't like the stigmas with moderate drug use.

On that note to help break them around these parts:

I am a professional mechanical engineer. Went to school at one of the top univ's in my country. Hold a good paying software design job, and have a sucessful happy family with one child and growing. I am good to my daughter, she's extremely smart and I find lots of time for my family. I eat 300% better than the average american and am in decent shape always.

I just don't like the "lazy drug abuser" stereotype. Its a much better relaxant than anything your doctor can give you, and likely much less hard on your body as well... For an intelligent person, it can be very enjoyable to experience different states of reality as long as the situation is controlled.

There. i've said my piece.. I don't want anything from it, i just hate stigmas.

Russell
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
For some people changing a perspective with a drug can help you get out of your comfort zone and look at how your music would be percieved as an observer. Once you can go there using a substance its likely you can train yourself to not need the substance to find that place.
Russell
Well put. Clearly, drug experience often (as some have mentioned) indelibly shapes an artist's sensibilities. It may even [let's be frank; does] inform the imagination. That's got nothing to do with whether drugs are fun or not, or good or bad, or whatever. My only distinction is between shaping the direction of creation and sourcing it.

My favorite thought on this issue has long been something Norman Mailer said during the obscenity trial revolving around Naked Lunch:

"There is no doubt as to the man’s talent while it was, perhaps, excited and inflamed by drug addiction, it was also hurt..."

There's no moral component to that evaluation whatsoever (except to the extent that the term moral is synonymous with the term organic); it's purely aesthetic.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
Dailymotion - Interview Jeff Buckley_partie 1 - une vidéo Art et Création

Not necessarily. I just know that after watching this video I LOVE this man even more.
Same here, that was great.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Albums made with drug use in mind tend to be produced, mixed and mastered in a manner that is not fatiguing to the ears like "pop" music. Drugs, in general, help musicians and engineers focus on helping the sounds get along with each other as well as relate with the listener -- not needlessly shout in their face for maximum radio impact. If the music is creating a sonic relationship then that allows more room for interesting and hidden elements -- the type of things that make an album rich and textured and often "classic."
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Drugs can introduce passion in ways that may not be apparent otherwise. The artist and engineer can both benefit from this, although excess isn't going to help anyone or anything.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Chimming in with a dutch perspective.

Over here in the Netherlands (or Holland as many like to call it) it is extremely easy and legal to get all kinds of drugs (yet the Dutch themselves use very little of it).

Goingto a concert in Amsterdam leads very often to disappointment(especially when the band is American and never visited Amsterdam before).
The band are set loose on the city and end up being intoxicated by whatever they stumbled upon.
Almost all of these concerts are terrible, uninspired, sloppy and annoying.

In my experience the question should be:
How much better would these classic albums have sounded if the musicians would not have been high on drugs?
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Silly thread. Try making a record on drugs and see if its a classic. It takes so much more than a little help.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMan View Post
Drugs can introduce passion in ways that may not be apparent otherwise. The artist and engineer can both benefit from this, although excess isn't going to help anyone or anything.
I`ve never been on anything considered a drug so I wouldn`t know the feeling but the idea that a drug can give someone passion they would otherwise not have seems silly.

Ever fall in love? Thats a natural drug. Ever been obsessed over a girl? Thats another drug. What we are trying to capture is human emotion. The best records do that. Tapping into something that we all feel usually makes for a more successful record but so much more has to come into play to make it a classic.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]I`ve never been on anything considered a drug so I wouldn`t know the feeling but the idea that a drug can give someone passion they would otherwise not have seems silly.

Ever fall in love? Thats a natural drug. Ever been obsessed over a girl? Thats another drug. What we are trying to capture is human emotion. The best records do that. Tapping into something that we all feel usually makes for a more successful record but so much more has to come into play to make it a classic.

Why does it seem silly? Drugs are by no means necessary, and you're right; the natural highs like the love we have for our girlfriends/wives, or the relentless drive for music that we carry here on Gearslutz are the best ones life provides. Hands down. However, there is no doubt in my mind that some of the greatest records would not have been written without LSD or cannabis. These drugs create new mindsets and outlooks that will directly reflect in the work of a coherent artist. MDMA creates an acceptance of oneself and an understanding and empathy that is scarcely felt in everyday life. These feelings are powerful, and I wouldn't group them into the same boat as the cheap highs created by cocaine, heroin, or even alcohol. Psychically addictive drugs should be avoided by all, but there is nothing wrong with using drugs that open your mind to benefit you artistically, as long as you feel that there is something to be gained by using them. At the same time, I don't think an artist should record or play live shows under the influence at all. Once again, this should be during the "writing" stage, so that no one wastes massive hours of studio time or lets down fans.

So I guess in short, I strongly believe psychedelic drugs still have a very real and (when used properly) a respectable place in the music writing process. I dont feel like herion, meth, or crack cocaine help anyone with anything. Good post btw !
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Why does it seem silly? Drugs are by no means necessary, and you're right; the natural highs like the love we have for our girlfriends/wives, or the relentless drive for music that we carry here on Gearslutz are the best ones life provides. Hands down. However, there is no doubt in my mind that some of the greatest records would not have been written without LSD or cannabis. These drugs create new mindsets and outlooks that will directly reflect in the work of a coherent artist. MDMA creates an acceptance of oneself and an understanding and empathy that is scarcely felt in everyday life. These feelings are powerful, and I wouldn't group them into the same boat as the cheap highs created by cocaine, heroin, or even alcohol. Psychically addictive drugs should be avoided by all, but there is nothing wrong with using drugs that open your mind to benefit you artistically, as long as you feel that there is something to be gained by using them. At the same time, I don't think an artist should record or play live shows under the influence at all. Once again, this should be during the "writing" stage, so that no one wastes massive hours of studio time or lets down fans.

So I guess in short, I strongly believe psychedelic drugs still have a very real and (when used properly) a respectable place in the music writing process. I dont feel like herion, meth, or crack cocaine help anyone with anything. Good post btw !
This.

MDMA and LSD are special. The emotions you feel on MDMA and LSD are no more or less real than what you feel when you're falling in love with a girl. These drugs stimulate the release of the chemicals that shape ones emotional state. The feeling of absolute oneness that you feel with the universe when you're peaking on LSD isn't comparable to anything, whatsoever. When the sky is flashing neon colours, the sun beating down on you, the clouds morphing and twisting in their infinite fractal beauty, the soft grass beneath you twisting and growing up around you...enveloping you, and feeling as though you are directly wired into the matrix of being...it leaves you with a very real and lasting elatedness

Having said that, I tried writing music whilst coming up on acid, and gave up after 5 minutes of trying to decipher swirly menus and flashing, multi-coloured text.

I think comedowns are an interesting period for musical inventiveness though . When all the grimeyness comes out to play.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Off the top of my head I can't think of a single record I like which has NOT been touched by drugs in one way or another.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrydn View Post
This.

MDMA and LSD are special. The emotions you feel on MDMA and LSD are no more or less real than what you feel when you're falling in love with a girl. These drugs stimulate the release of the chemicals that shape ones emotional state. The feeling of absolute oneness that you feel with the universe when you're peaking on LSD isn't comparable to anything, whatsoever. When the sky is flashing neon colours, the sun beating down on you, the clouds morphing and twisting in their infinite fractal beauty, the soft grass beneath you twisting and growing up around you...enveloping you, and feeling as though you are directly wired into the matrix of being...it leaves you with a very real and lasting elatedness

Having said that, I tried writing music whilst coming up on acid, and gave up after 5 minutes of trying to decipher swirly menus and flashing, multi-coloured text.

I think comedowns are an interesting period for musical inventiveness though . When all the grimeyness comes out to play.
Interesting stuff from you guys. Like I said, I`ve never been on any drug. Alcohol... I max out at 3 bottles. I`m a lightweight.

However, I was talking about passion. I don`t think any external drug can give you passion. I mentioned falling in love with a girl because to me that is the most natural and contagious human emotion.

Everyone loves that strong and fleeting moment and its capturing that emotion that is key and I don`t know of any drug that can give you that. You mention LSD. I have nothing to say about that because I have no experience with it but I would find it hard to imagine anything coming close to falling in love with a girl (and vice versa for women).

When I listen to classic records like Dark Side of the Moon, some of the Beatles stuff, Led Zep, The Joshua Tree I hear a lot of longing in those songs. And longing is that emotion we have when we are falling in love. We want to be with that person, to become one with them. That longing is what these records have in common, at least to my ears.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Well by the very nature of taking a drug you are introducing something outside the normal human experience. so the bottom line is that you cant really compare normal feelings, ie "falling in love" with those created by a substance and say one is better than the other. You can feel very real love for a woman on or off drugs. MDMA might think you love someone that you dont, because its a drug; like you're saying, this love is obsolete to real love. but channelled toward music, it can become a very real passion. to each his own though, so people can become too distracted in altered states to do focus on much of anything lol.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
Interesting stuff from you guys. Like I said, I`ve never been on any drug. Alcohol... I max out at 3 bottles. I`m a lightweight.

However, I was talking about passion. I don`t think any external drug can give you passion. I mentioned falling in love with a girl because to me that is the most natural and contagious human emotion.

Everyone loves that strong and fleeting moment and its capturing that emotion that is key and I don`t know of any drug that can give you that. You mention LSD. I have nothing to say about that because I have no experience with it but I would find it hard to imagine anything coming close to falling in love with a girl (and vice versa for women).

When I listen to classic records like Dark Side of the Moon, some of the Beatles stuff, Led Zep, The Joshua Tree I hear a lot of longing in those songs. And longing is that emotion we have when we are falling in love. We want to be with that person, to become one with them. That longing is what these records have in common, at least to my ears.
As far as chemically emulating passion goes, your best bet is probably something like speed. However, it ends up being more like obsessiveness and dilligence :P. I wrote a song under the influence of speed once, but it wasn't anything worth hanging on to. Speed is better for cleaning the house ;D

As for the feeling of romantic love VS the feeling you have on psychedelics, they're more or less incomparable. They're just different. I dunno, how you feel on LSD is kind of like love, but without the strings attached . The thing with LSD is that it flows. It's a very synesthetic experience. You can take a feeling and play around with it as if it were a toy. You can pull it in and out of context. You can literally project it outside of your body and watch as the environment is seeded with your feelings of bliss.

Of course, if you're not feeling so hot as you go into a trip, very bad things can happen. Luckily I haven't had a bad one yet...I stay away from mood altering substances if I'm in a negative state of mind.

Anyway, we've gotten a tad off topic here :3
Old 13th November 2009
Motown legend

What amazes me is the degree to which people believe the stuff they read in fan magazines combined with how frequently it was utter fiction.

Most of the folks I saw get into drugs began around insane tour schedules where they were using drugs in order to get to sleep and more drugs to wake up and make it to a plane. It had nothing at all to do with creativity.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yes and no

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrydn View Post
This.

MDMA and LSD are special. The emotions you feel on MDMA and LSD are no more or less real than what you feel when you're falling in love with a girl. These drugs stimulate the release of the chemicals that shape ones emotional state. The feeling of absolute oneness that you feel with the universe when you're peaking on LSD isn't comparable to anything, whatsoever.
Actually this is not entirely correct, Perhaps you are just not aware of the fact that - There is no drug induced altered state of perception that is not more fully attainable, realized and controllable through Yogic, Focused Contemplative and Meditative practices. BTW the same release of natural brain chemicals is involved in these practices as well. The difference being that, they do not involve the introduction of a foreign substance that is in fact harmful to ones physiology . And while admittedly the natural process takes much longer to accomplish, like ascending a very long but measured staircase. Taking LSD (particularly in the dosage strength of say White Owsley and actually go into the third level, i.e. out of body ) is akin to strapping oneself to an unguided missile ......... For what its worth, I know I was indeed there ..........

Quote:
Another perspective on this statement is that the "comedown" is your body telling you -- Whew !! you have just survived introducing poison into your system, THIS TIME !!

PLEASE PLEASE ,DON'T underestimate the simple and profound nature OF David Crosby's statement about the Era and Scene of the 60's. I paraphrase -----
" We were right about two out of three ---- Love is better than Hate ---- Peace is better than War ------ We were wrong about the Drugs" !!!
Old 13th November 2009
my drummer uses viagra.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post
my drummer uses viagra.
WELL, If the avatar is his honey, its no wonder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Wouldn't it be a shorter exercise to list all the classic albums made without drugs?
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac
[QUOTE=KevWind;4779182]
Quote:
Meditation
Whilst this may very well be true, I don't currently have the years of time, nor the patience, to devote to studying transcendtal meditation. It's quicker and easier for me to take my enlightenment on a blotter tab, and I have absolutely no reservations about that

Also, I don't currently have the want or the need to go out of my body. I'm happy with just a nice "trippy" dose. Not trying to bust in on God or anything.

Quote:
Comedowns
Yes, the comedown is there to tell you that you definitely should not be making a habit out of chemical abuse, but that doesn't stop it from being an interesting period of introspection and exploration
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search