The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
classic albums made with drugs Modulation Plugins
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Has anybody mentioned nitrous oxide yet?

Also, regarding Pink Floyd DSOM. I thought the Floyd was basically split into two camps.

1) Alcohol: Waters, Mason

2) The Weed: Gilmour, Wright
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
To my knowledge J.S. Bach was pretty clean during St. Matthew Passion.
Proof? Could have been drunk as hell for all you know.........I meant DEFINITE......
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
So, maybe turn this around then.....which classic albums were DEFINITELY made with NO drugs AT ALL involved? Anyone?

Frank Zappa: Apostraphe
Overnite Sensation
Joe's Garage
Sheik Yer Bouti
Old 11th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudAsBalls View Post
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St. (Heroin)
Richards has since refuted that one....
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl J View Post
Frank Zappa: Apostraphe
Overnite Sensation
Joe's Garage
Sheik Yer Bouti
zappa was a heavy cigarette smoker. nicotine is a DRUG.
but the real reason his music is great is because he was a freakin genius
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

has anyone mentioned the "honeyslides" influence of Rusty Kershaw on Neil Young's 'On The Beach'?
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

perhaps the same 'thing' that makes certain musicians write classic albums also makes them more likely to take drugs. i'm of the mind that this 'thing' is called youth.
do the drugs play a creative role? i'm sure they do for some, and don't for others.
one time i (and most members of my band at the time) drank a good bit of mushroom tea before playing a show. i found myself on stage in the middle of our set, the music just seeming to pour out of me effortlessly. according to people in the crowd(including a successful and respected AE), we sounded great and put on a tight show.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post
So if I want to get that Dark Side of the Moon bass sound, what kind of cannabis should I be using? I know there's some new stuff that's "just as good", "sounds just like it", etc.... but do I really need to save up and buy some vintage cannabis from the mid 70's? I heard they changed the fertilizer at a certain point circa 1977 or so. Does that really make a difference? Anybody ever do a shootout?

Thanks...
Ha ha, that made me giggle...sorry....
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post
So if I want to get that Dark Side of the Moon bass sound, what kind of cannabis should I be using? I know there's some new stuff that's "just as good", "sounds just like it", etc.... but do I really need to save up and buy some vintage cannabis from the mid 70's? I heard they changed the fertilizer at a certain point circa 1977 or so. Does that really make a difference? Anybody ever do a shootout?

Thanks...

Nepalese Temple Ball
Attached Thumbnails
classic albums made with drugs-nepal_temple_balls.jpg  
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear
I think we can blame 80's reverb on Cocaine.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
I think we can blame 80's reverb on Cocaine.
LOL
also, Disco...
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
"The Beatles were so ****ing high they let Ringo sing a few tunes!"

Bill Hicks - Relentless '92

YouTube - bill hicks drugs and music
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
One of he most famous and most respected Producers , of a lot or pop stuff that is accurate, to the point of complete anal retention,, starts the day with a spliff that would floor a charging rhino..
.......you should talk to the people who worked for him, maybe you have.......they I think bore the brunt of all that anal retention working their respective bollocks off to realise the vision. One of them can't even look at a razor blade anymore without breaking out in a cold sweat!!!

Quote:
zappa was a heavy cigarette smoker. nicotine is a DRUG.
but the real reason his music is great is because he was a freakin genius
.......he was and I would imagine that if he done a lot of drugs we the listeners and fans would be a lot poorer for it, there is no way he could have exercised that degree of control, precision, perfection and quality without an unclouded mind. Beneath the goof lies extraordinary rigour and virtuosity.

It's funny how these drug threads are always so popular, I really don't understand how anyone would care what albums have been done under the influence of drugs, as many people have pointed out, you've either got it or you haven't and if you don't .......all the drugs in the worls aren't going to help. This was a fatal error made by many a jazz musician back in the 50's, they all wanted to play like Parker and coltrane and by the time they realised that it actually didn't help....it was too late. Yet the legacy of this continued into the 70's 80's and beyond... Michael Brecker, Charlie Haden and latterly Brad Meldau. There are to e sure quite a few classic albums that have been made "high" but I'm sure they would have been finished a lot sooner had they been done straight.....as I'm sure legions of exasperated engineers will testify to!
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx View Post
but his main concurrent, lee perry was a walking smokecave who smoked an once mariuana a day, in his controlroom while making reggae and dub. 90% of more of the reggae during the last 60 years is made with mariuana as drugs and it made a lot of good music. Other drugs like cocaine and crack did destroy a lot in the 90's, but mariuana didn't.

I can be done with or without, it may help some people to make music, but i believe an equal ammount at least can do better without it. It all depends on wich drugs, how much and wich user.
Yea, but when Lee Perry was tokin, there was nearly always an assistant or 2 within arms' reach who was sober. There's no denying that there was plenty of dope in Kingston's studios, but that's not the "whole picture," as not everyone was stoned, and as you said quite astutely, it can "be done with or without."
Old 12th November 2009
Here for the gear

Man...this tread is making me want to smoke some weed...of course, then I want to play some guitar....and then I want to add some drums...it just goes on and on.....
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear
The Flipside

ABBA..
A strong musical Force, wrote a lot of stuff like they were going to the office (or at least a wooden hillside cabin),,, sic
The Perception is one of a very clean working machine.
So i offer up ABBA as a force to be reckoned with, for not taking substances.... Some may say that they are the antithesis of the "Classic albums made with drugs"
But the sales dont lie..

ABBA’s recordings are estimated to have sold more than 370 million units worldwide. Their 1992 album, “Gold,” is one of the most popular albums of all time, with sales of 26 million copies.

"So i say, Thankyou for the Music"... indeed
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
there is no way he could have exercised that degree of control, precision, perfection and quality without an unclouded mind.
you underestimate him. i think he could have.
but he didn't need drugs. his mind was already on another level without them.
but you are correct:
in his autobiography he mentions having smoked pot on "maybe ten occasions", but that it only gave him a sore throat and made him sleepy, so he didn't like it.
so, from this, we can maybe draw the conclusion that if he had smoked pot regularly, he might not have been quite so prolific due to sleepyness(however, marijuana affects you differently the longer and more often you smoke it). as far as how it would've affected him creatively, he didn't say, so we can only guess. though had it affected him positively, he might've stuck with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
It's funny how these drug threads are always so popular, I really don't understand how anyone would care what albums have been done under the influence of drugs, as many people have pointed out, you've either got it or you haven't and if you don't .......all the drugs in the worls aren't going to help. This was a fatal error made by many a jazz musician back in the 50's, they all wanted to play like Parker and coltrane and by the time they realised that it actually didn't help....it was too late. Yet the legacy of this continued into the 70's 80's and beyond... Michael Brecker, Charlie Haden and latterly Brad Meldau. There are to e sure quite a few classic albums that have been made "high" but I'm sure they would have been finished a lot sooner had they been done straight.....as I'm sure legions of exasperated engineers will testify to!
it depends on what drugs you're talking about, since they affect different people in different ways. they don't all slow you down -some speed you up! if those records had been finished sooner, would they have been better? they probably would've been different...
but i agree with you in that i don't think drugs are the key to creating a "classic" album. i think it takes innate talent and creativity, both of which, coincidentally(heh), also seem to cause one to experiment with drugs.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer View Post
Yea, but when Lee Perry was tokin, there was nearly always an assistant or 2 within arms' reach who was sober. There's no denying that there was plenty of dope in Kingston's studios, but that's not the "whole picture," as not everyone was stoned, and as you said quite astutely, it can "be done with or without."
but did those sober assistants have any creative or performance input?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

If you watch the Beatles Anthology John says they tried to write music on Drugs but they'd come in the next day and it always sounded like crap , so it didn't work for them .
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post
Jeff Buckley - Grace (heroin)
Are you thinking of Tim Buckley, maybe?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

Look at it this way.......If a surgeon is a stone cold alcoholic I don't want him operating on me sober! Let him have a drink or two before he cuts on me.

If a musician is a junky or pothead or alcoholic doesn't it make since he would record that way?

I use to be a heavy drug user and all the albums I did in that period of my life I was waisted.

I don't do drugs now so all the CD's I do are drug free recordings.

Seems simple to me.
Somehow I can't imagine a drug free guitar player would think "I'm going to do a big bag of heroin right before this session so I'll sound like Jimi Hendricks!"

Jimi didn't just do heroin before a session, he did heroin before breakfast too!

I think you wouldn't want Jimi trying to record if he was Jonesin'

Larry
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forked Lightning View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that Jimmy Page claimed virtually all of the Zeppelin stuff was done using drugs?.
Maybe he could have played in time and with fewer screwups if he was sober.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Can we just agree to say that many classic albums were made while influenced by various substances. Probably paintings, sculptures, aircraft designs, etc... as well... Are we looking for artistic validation that drug use somehow enhances the art? Sigh... I would say an elevated consciousness should stand on its own.... regardless of the drugs. For example... the Dali Llama would be inspiring sober and on grass... but A moron (insert your favorite nit wit) will still be a moron stoned..

Seems like a non issue, but like Rolling Stone and gossip magazines, it can be fun to know how stoned certain musicians were when they recorded their hits.

Another wrinkle is how stoned someone was when they created or wrote the idea as opposed to recorded it. Generally you want to be on your best performance when recording... but I'm sure that is high for many.

I'm sure many of you on this board who work in audio in LA have stories.... most of the time it's no secret...
Old 12th November 2009
Come on guys, of course it's not the drugs themselves that make the music. There has to be talent and intent there. Karlof70 said it best, its more a channeling thing. Of course you don't need drugs to make music. There's lots of thing we don't 'need' in life, yet we still buy or consume them.

Personally I don't do much anymore, did my share of pot in my early 20s, I tried most things once so I can have my own opinion and not someone else's. But I don't need or want it anymore. I have collaborators and singers who still do, nothing wrong with that, it tends to relax them, and if I'm working with them usually I'll have a drag or two just to get on the same vibe. But generally I prefer to mix and record strait, maybe a drink or two sometimes.

Usually the real horror stories are when a band/artist gets real big after the classic album, thats when they have the money to waste on $1000 a day habits. And no it's not a nice thing to see, even worse to work with. However lets not paint everyone with the same brush. Most of these people have addictive personalities and its part of their creativity, always wanting more, a constant striving for an idealized perfection. Most would have gotten stuck on something else anyway, be it alcohol, possessions, gambling, power, etc.

Btw I've met many an alcoholic doctor, seems to run in the profession.

Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

It's like this: Having a drug addiction doesn't lead to having a creative mind. Having a creative mind can easily lead to having a drug addiction.

I think that pretty much sums up the confusion.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

At the last Joe Satriani show I attended, he introduced "Ice Nine" from Surfing With The Alien by telling a story about how at that point in his life he had been staying away from any sort of chemicals, eating no meat, no sugar, coffee etc...(and he added that it was a lifestyle that he felt had allowed him to still be around doing what he was/is doing), but he decided one morning to head down to the coffee shop (this had to be pre-starbucks) and buy himself a huge expresso mocha latte, which resulted in a pretty monstrous buzz, and he felt that Ice Nine was the consequence

On the other hand, I've attached a song recorded by IMO one of the best bands of all time, and certainly the best band that you've never heard of. I spoke with the drummer after a show in Boulder (November 2003 I believe), and he confirmed what I had often surmised - that the song could be taken quite literally. He and his Dad had been kind of estranged for part of his early adulthood, and they renewed their relationship by taking a little trip together. Give it a listen; It's a great song.
Attached Files

7 A Trip With My Dad.mp3 (5.39 MB, 197 views)

Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I think to accurately be able to quantify whether drugs have a significant effect on making classic records, we really have to look at ALL of the records that have come out in the past 50-60 years, and determine how many of them were recorded or written either under the influence of drugs, or by drug users. Keep in mind that even in the past 10 years, there has been an average of around 20,000 albums released each year.

We're looking at only 500 of the albums released in the past half-century or so! There is no way you can single out drugs as a potential catalyst for making a "classic record". It's a combination of talent, luck, hard work, etc... Drugs should be the last thing you think about....
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

Brings a whole new meaning to gearslutz...

sorry, that was lame.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdiscord View Post
It's like this: Having a drug addiction doesn't lead to having a creative mind. Having a creative mind can easily lead to having a drug addiction.

I think that pretty much sums up the confusion.
Best post on this thread!
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Dailymotion - Interview Jeff Buckley_partie 1 - une vidéo Art et Création
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
From the way he acts in this interview, it looks like he was into the blow to me.
Not necessarily. I just know that after watching this video I LOVE this man even more.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search