The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
classic albums made with drugs Modulation Plugins
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I once recall hearing that Billy Corgan was tripping his face off during the entire making of Gish.
I love that album.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Jeff Buckley was not on heroin. Thats the scoop from his "photo-biography" A Wished for Song.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
And if you really never tried (cannabis, mushrooms...) - you have no idea, believe me, it is outside your description of the world, you cannot even imagine it...
C,F,G ...

" äääääääääääääääähhhhmmmmm, ... whats was the first chord "

guess most people in here know what they are talking about, and if one is totally sober he deserves some respect and not a hint that he missed the best things in life.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up View Post
C,F,G ...

" äääääääääääääääähhhhmmmmm, ... whats was the first chord "

guess most people in here know what they are talking about, and if one is totally sober he deserves some respect and not a hint that he missed the best things in life.
You miss the point. And you can't know if you don't have a first hand experience. It is THAT different from the usual perceptual modalities and ideation. But again - you can't really know if you lack the experience of it.

But no need to argue about it. Maybe just think about it that way - can you explain how (let's say) orgasm feels to someone that never had any so he would really KNOW how it feels? You can't, (s)he must experience it to really understand; it is THAT different from you usual mood/feeling in the body.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah the only thing that rubs me the wrong way about any of this is the notion that drugs are somehow necessary for...well, anything other than being high on drugs. In all my experience, it's discipline and interest that make people make good music music; nothing else. All the rest is just either a coincidence, a lifestyle accessory or an excuse.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

like i said, most people in here KNOW what they are talking about.
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
and all the dub greats, Lee Perry, King Tubby, Prince Jammy (cannabis)

King Tubby didn't toke while mixing, this is a well known fact. Check out Michael Veal's book on the production of dub music if you actually want to know how drugs were and were not a part of the dub era, rather than spreading random hearsay.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up View Post
like i said, most people in here KNOW what they are talking about.
Ok, sorry. That's also what I said - I hardly know any that DON'T KNOW. heh

Maybe we should conclude - "to each it's own"? No need to condemn reasonable "users" or pat on the back the "puritans"?
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
it's discipline and interest that make people make good music
True, but this thread is not about making good music.

It's about making a *classic* record.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post

Right!

That's the difference and it is a well known fact that you have to make a pact with the Devil to make a classic record or rise to fame, part of the deal being taking them evil drugs.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer View Post
King Tubby didn't toke while mixing, this is a well known fact. Check out Michael Veal's book on the production of dub music if you actually want to know how drugs were and were not a part of the dub era, rather than spreading random hearsay.
but his main concurrent, lee perry was a walking smokecave who smoked an once mariuana a day, in his controlroom while making reggae and dub. 90% of more of the reggae during the last 60 years is made with mariuana as drugs and it made a lot of good music. Other drugs like cocaine and crack did destroy a lot in the 90's, but mariuana didn't.

I can be done with or without, it may help some people to make music, but i believe an equal ammount at least can do better without it. It all depends on wich drugs, how much and wich user.
Old 11th November 2009
So if I want to get that Dark Side of the Moon bass sound, what kind of cannabis should I be using? I know there's some new stuff that's "just as good", "sounds just like it", etc.... but do I really need to save up and buy some vintage cannabis from the mid 70's? I heard they changed the fertilizer at a certain point circa 1977 or so. Does that really make a difference? Anybody ever do a shootout?

Thanks...
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Great. Well let me tow in that semantic rope. The more interested in music a person is and the more disciplined the musician, the more classic the music made.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

13th Floor Elevators

Back in the 60's my uncle Roky Erickson fronted a band called The 13th Floor Elevators, many consider them to be the first psychedelic band in the business. Their albums The Psychedelic Sounds of The 13th Floor Elevators and Easter Everywhere are for sure an LSD influenced ride through lala land. Roky's story is one of many tragic tales in the industry but in the recent years he has managed to come full circle and get back on track, he played to sold out crowds in europe a couple years ago as a result and it was his first time ever overseas. His following is huge in many countries such as Finland, Norway and Sweden...very cool time for him and those of us who have watched the story unfold. Anyone remotely interested in American music history and its roots owes it to themselves to check his stuff out...the story is one filled with the pitfalls of overindulgence and the ugly side of the biz but it does have a happy ending thanks to many people he influenced along the way..from Peter Buck of REM to Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top and and many others. Here's a link to the Amazon reviews and the albums as well as an early video of their video for You're Gonna Miss Me Amazon.com: Easter Everywhere: 13th Floor Elevators: Music

YouTube - 13th Floor Elevators - You're Gonna Miss Me

...and yes the guy is playing a jug.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Did it sound any better?
Tupelo Honey; it's a classic, man.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The more interested in music a person is and the more disciplined the musician, the more classic the music made.
No, you still talk about *good* music.

To make a classic record, you have to break the rules.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Some folks seem to write good 'love songs' dedicated to heroin.

The LA's - There she goes
The Only Ones - Another Girl another Planet
Lou Reed - (the cryptically entitled) Heroin
The Stranglers - Golden Brown

if heroin was legal it would be the most amazing thing on the planet, but its not and people have to do desperate things for it when you can't just get it at the pharmacy shelf like the old days, back when you could buy heroin and coke with your groceries.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post
So if I want to get that Dark Side of the Moon bass sound, what kind of cannabis should I be using? I know there's some new stuff that's "just as good", "sounds just like it", etc.... but do I really need to save up and buy some vintage cannabis from the mid 70's? I heard they changed the fertilizer at a certain point circa 1977 or so. Does that really make a difference? Anybody ever do a shootout?

Thanks...
Well, actually, rediscovering the classic 60' and 70's psychedelic sativas is a big trend in the pot world.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, you still talk about *good* music.
Please have the courtesy not to presume to tell me what I mean.

Quote:
To make a classic record, you have to break the rules.
Great.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
get your self on heroin and see if you make a classic
bravo !
LOL
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

How about someone tally up the number of sh!tty albums made on drugs? I'll bet that list is a hell of a lot longer...a lot of tape left on the floor from bands who never made it or never could.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Great. Well let me tow in that semantic rope. The more interested in music a person is and the more disciplined the musician, the more classic the music made.
LOL. Please tell me you don't actually believe that.......although it would make for more classics than we actually get, I'd say.....
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL. Please tell me you don't actually believe that.......although it would make for more classics than we actually get, I'd say.....
I don't hear a lot of music I care about that was made by bored or lazy musicians.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't hear a lot of music I care about that was made by bored or lazy musicians.
No, but my brother has a lot of discipline and lots and lots of interest.......can't hold a tune too good though and hasn't made any classics yet ;-) Discipline and interest only??? Come on dude.........not really.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would say that a lot of non-classic albums were made with drugs also.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Really. I'm talking about the defining characteristic common to the most classic work. Is it talent? Is - as is the apparent implication of the o.p. and many of the posts in this thread - it drugs? Is it the thousand happenstances in the artist's upbringing? Is it her or his general attitude toward the world? Is it his or her taste?
In my experience and observation, what draws the work out is the desire to produce the work. That may or may not be goaded or derailed by drugs, or by a million other factors, but in my estimation the one thing that unifies the best work in any field is a combination of the desire of the artist to produce the work and the willingness to do whatever is necessary to get it done.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Guru

So, maybe turn this around then.....which classic albums were DEFINITELY made with NO drugs AT ALL involved? Anyone?
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
So, maybe turn this around then.....which classic albums were DEFINITELY made with NO drugs AT ALL involved? Anyone?
To my knowledge J.S. Bach was pretty clean during St. Matthew Passion.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I know, from first hand experience of one band, whose music is so damned precise and so damn well played that. They use to roll up to their studio with a briefcase full of hash and commence to start work on their next album..

One of he most famous and most respected Producers , of a lot or pop stuff that is accurate, to the point of complete anal retention,, starts the day with a spliff that would floor a charging rhino..

The key being, find whatever suits YOU best and do it. Just don't preach to others that you *know* what is best. You know what suits you, that is all.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post
here's the interview. check at 2:30
Dailymotion - Interview Jeff Buckley_partie 1 - une vidéo Art et Création

agreed as well
in a way we don't create, we just translate
From the way he acts in this interview, it looks like he was into the blow to me.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search