The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
classic albums made with drugs Modulation Plugins
Old 11th November 2009
  #31
Lives for gear
 
5down1up's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 View Post
So don't do drugs
this is not an easy question heh
Old 11th November 2009
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post
aren't all classic albums made by drug / alcohol addicts ?

let's make a list.
Unless you were there, It's conjecture and bull****, isn't it?
Old 11th November 2009
  #33
TRA
Lives for gear
 
TRA's Avatar
 

Didn't Ozzy claim that Black Sabbath Paranoid was mostly written while doing coke in a hot tub?
Old 11th November 2009
  #34
Lives for gear
 
syntax's Avatar
 

This is the same old saw that produced a generation of junky, horn-player wannabes in the wake of Bird, and ultimately, this line of thought resolves to a kind of nature/nurture question. Your speculation supposes or infers that drugs caused the classic album. This may or may not be correct, but it risks explaining talent away as chemical accident.

I would say further, that this list is ultimately meaningless when we put it against non-classic, stupid, incomplete, or unreleased records created on (or by inference) by drugs.

Drugs are ambiguous: They inspire some artists; they anesthetize other artists. This is not a moral judgment.
Old 11th November 2009
  #35
RTR
Lives for gear
 
RTR's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Hey! I resemble that remark!

What seems to be the problem ossifer?
HAHA.."take me drunk Im home"..."Im not as think as you drunk I am"
Old 11th November 2009
  #36
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post
do we have to take drugs to make a classic record ?
You have to change your perspective. Many ways to do that.
Old 11th November 2009
  #37
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

I once soaked a van Morrison LP in beer then spilt the contents of a large bong in which we'd been smoking Quaaludes and hashish all over it. Good times.
Old 11th November 2009
  #38
dsl
Gear Nut
 
dsl's Avatar
 

Anyone know if this one was made with drugs...

Old 11th November 2009
  #39
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up View Post
imo :

this forum holds responsibility to not motivate people to do something based on some " hollywood storys ".

whats next ? you need to stick 3 melons up your ass to play accordeon ?
exactly. Some of the records mentioned in this thread were most defo NOT recorded with everyone maxxed to the eyeballs. Heck even Manzerak has said Jim rarely turned up to the studio off his face - it was in between times. So yeah - much artists taking lots of drugs - but not when doing the do. We used to get legendarily wasted during my "face in the press" days - didn't take it into the studio though.... not once.
Old 11th November 2009
  #40
Gear Head
 
Forked Lightning's Avatar
 

Didn't I read somewhere that Jimmy Page claimed virtually all of the Zeppelin stuff was done using drugs?

And to the question "What songs did you write/record/perform whilst you were stoned?", David Crosby replied "All of 'em". That first CSN album is a bit of a classic no?

I've forgotten the number of times I've read about or heard about people writing music when stoned, drunk, E'd, coked up, whatever, and thought it was incredible only to find the next day it was complete rubbish.


Yawn....
Old 11th November 2009
  #41
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Making music of any worth is generally about more channeling than actual 'making', and it requires a special state of being for that to be effective. Whether drugs help this happen or not, and in what ways or to what extent is no doubt debatable, yet it does seem that most if not all of the guys who had such a channeling ability as to let through stuff we later term a classic seem to have been somewhat fond of some drug at one time or another.........
Old 11th November 2009
  #42
Lives for gear
 
mexicola's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post
aren't all classic albums made by drug / alcohol addicts ?

let's make a list. here's what i can think of (might be wrong)

Nirvana - Nevermind (cannabis / heroin)
Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks (heroin)
By all accounts, Kurt didn't get into heroin until after Nevermind was made, and Krist and Dave never did heroin.

Also, Sid Vicious was supposedly the only member of the Pistols who did heroin, and he didn't play on Never Mind the Bullocks.

Get your facts/gossip straight man!
Old 11th November 2009
  #43
Gear Head
 

I imagine Minor Threat's entire catalog was done without chemical aid aside from caffeine, and at least the first two releases are classics, in my opinion.

Other than that, it *is* challenging to think of that many notable albums that are toxin-free, let alone "classic" ones.

Better music through chemistry...
Old 11th November 2009
  #44
Lives for gear
 

While we're at it, let's put together a list of classic corporations that have been run under the influence of drugs.
Old 11th November 2009
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
While we're at it, let's put together a list of classic corporations that have been run under the influence of drugs.
...and classic athletes who took steroids.
Old 11th November 2009
  #46
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
Honestly - I am not a regular "abuser", but I hardly know a musician that doesn't smoke pot. It just does things to music perception that would be foolish not to experience from time to time... n
I disagree, I have never done any drugs, never even TRIED once anything, as a matter of fact, I have never even tried a cigarette! and I do music all day for a living, musicians doing drugs only use the "creativity" issue as an excuse and reason to do drugs, YOU DO NOT NEED DRUGS TO MAKE GOOD MUSIC!
Old 11th November 2009
  #47
Lives for gear
 
rectifier's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post

Jeff Buckley and heroin : heard that in a tv interview
I seriously doubt this.
Old 11th November 2009
  #48
Lives for gear
 
lakeshorephatty's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I disagree, I have never done any drugs, never even TRIED once anything, as a matter of fact, I have never even tried a cigarette! and I do music all day for a living, musicians doing drugs only use the "creativity" issue as an excuse and reason to do drugs, YOU DO NOT NEED DRUGS TO MAKE GOOD MUSIC!
Agreed. You can make good music with or without any number of tools..

Not promoting drugs but some milder ones like pot can help you find different parts of yourself.

I see some musicians that feel good about what they do but its mostly technical, or the soul they are trying to capture just isn't there. Some of them I wish would just try a drug or two to contemplate reality and how they approach music. Perhaps it would open their mind to what makes a performance truly captivating and what doesn't.

There are an equal large number of performers i see that are falling off the opposite end of the scale and should cut out the majority of the stuff thats in their bloodstream to be captivating.

Russell
Old 11th November 2009
  #49
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I disagree, I have never done any drugs, never even TRIED once anything, as a matter of fact, I have never even tried a cigarette! and I do music all day for a living, musicians doing drugs only use the "creativity" issue as an excuse and reason to do drugs, YOU DO NOT NEED DRUGS TO MAKE GOOD MUSIC!

Multi Platinum...because it's better than gold
Mickaël Platinum Singer on the Song Cyclone!! on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Open Labs - Mickael
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/mickaelmusic
but you need drugs to listen to what i've heard on your myspace











































(humor)
Old 11th November 2009
  #50
Gear Head
 
DigDouglas's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Making music of any worth is generally about more channeling than actual 'making', and it requires a special state of being for that to be effective. e
You nailed it brotha.
Old 11th November 2009
  #51
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
I seriously doubt this.
here's the interview. check at 2:30
Dailymotion - Interview Jeff Buckley_partie 1 - une vidéo Art et Création

Quote:
Making music of any worth is generally about more channeling than actual 'making', and it requires a special state of being for that to be effective. e
agreed as well
in a way we don't create, we just translate
Old 11th November 2009
  #52
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post
Jeff Buckley - Grace (heroin)
Dude, check your fact's! I took one on one drum lessons with his drummer Matt Johnson. Plus read the book 'Dream Brother'. He never touched that stuff during the 'Grace' period.
Old 11th November 2009
  #53
Gear Head
 
LoudAsBalls's Avatar
 

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica (you name it...)
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St. (Heroin)
Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun (LSD)
Every Bob Marley album - Marijuana
Old 11th November 2009
  #54
Jax
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
I once soaked a van Morrison LP in beer then spilt the contents of a large bong in which we'd been smoking Quaaludes and hashish all over it. Good times.
Did it sound any better?
Old 11th November 2009
  #55
Lives for gear
 
The Listener's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I disagree, I have never done any drugs, never even TRIED once anything, as a matter of fact, I have never even tried a cigarette! and I do music all day for a living, musicians doing drugs only use the "creativity" issue as an excuse and reason to do drugs, YOU DO NOT NEED DRUGS TO MAKE GOOD MUSIC!
I said "musicians"... heh And anyway I don't know YOU. I was talking about the real people I know.

I tried to remember at least one that doesn't smoke pot at least occasionally - but just can't. Some of my close friends have also been backstage with some virtuoso players like Victor Wooten with Bela Fleck on tour, etc. smoking BIG spliffs... heh after the concert, of course...
I also know some Indian musicians (even Pandits) who affectionately refer to cannabis bakery they eat as "Holi" after the special holiday which in some parts of India includes massive use of cannabis bakery and beverages...

I don't say that you need drugs to make good music, I am just observing how the things are. And almost ALL the musicians I know do smoke weed, I am a rather rare exception in those circles. But I do try it occasionally and don't condemn them.

And if you really never tried (cannabis, mushrooms...) - you have no idea, believe me, it is outside your description of the world, you cannot even imagine it... Your understanding of it comes through second hand prejudices... I know, because I was there - believing all the "it is evil" hype. I tried it and changed my mind. I don't DO it, because I want to have control most of the time in my life, but I am open to very sporadic experiments in a private setting.

I believe that everyone should at lest experience the natural mind altering substances like cannabis bakery, mushrooms, ayahuasca, etc. to understand what it is all about - under guidance, with respect and not too often...

Now that I have, I feel that if I wouldn't try it in my life, it would be like dying without ever having sex. You can do it of course, but it's a pity to not experience life in all its possibilities, no?
Old 11th November 2009
  #56
Lives for gear
 

more on the buckley case :

Jeff Buckley - Eternal Life...

"for years i lived in Harlem"

"i lived near what they call Needle Park, where you can find the best heroin in NYC"
Old 11th November 2009
  #57
Lives for gear
 
The Listener's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post
more on the buckley case :

Jeff Buckley - Eternal Life...

"for years i lived in Harlem"

"i lived near what they call Needle Park, where you can find the best heroin in NYC"

And? What does that proove? My girlfriend works near the center where the addicts get their methadone doses each morning... She's aware of that fact, does that make her a junkie, too?
Old 11th November 2009
  #58
"The Beatles were so ****ing high they let Ringo sing a few tunes!"

Bill Hicks - Relentless '92



.
Old 11th November 2009
  #59
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
And? What does that proove? My girlfriend works near the center where the addicts get their methadone doses each morning... She's aware of that fact, does that make her a junkie, too?
totally.
Old 11th November 2009
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

There is a ton of misinformation in this thread.

- c
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Wiggy Neve Slut / So much gear, so little time
34
jammybastard / So much gear, so little time
102
eligit / So much gear, so little time
24

Forum Jump
Forum Jump