The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
classic albums made with drugs Modulation Plugins
Old 31st January 2014
ValhallaDSP

At least part of the "2001: A Space Odyssey" soundtrack was composed under the influence of drugs:

Apparently Ligeti composed "Lux Aeterna" when recovering from surgery for a perforated intestine, which led to him being addicted to morphine for three years. Not really a "cool" drug story, but there you go.
Old 31st January 2014
Gear Guru

The PHYSICAL affects of Marijuana as far as impairing motor functions would be exaggerated to be similar to drinking half a glass of wine with dinner.

Primarily the overall effect is simply calming, reducing stress and in very many cases, improving your ability to concentrate on meticulous detail.

Like the procedures I had to go through every day playing around with a 277/480, 600 AMP electrical services, where one false move could kill you.

The greatest danger I faced working with high voltage was allowing myself to be distracted by the engineer or security personnel while I was working.

Alcohol literally messes up your hand-eye-muscle coordination.

That's why walking a straight line is one of the tests.

There simply is no equivalent physical motor skill coordination loss from smoking.

Like any other situation where you might operate a vehicle or machinery, the
primary risk would be completely secondary, like becoming distracted, failure
to pay full time and attention to the task at hand.
Old 1st February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
T

There simply is no equivalent physical motor skill coordination loss from smoking.
I disagree. To me pot does somehow disconnect your awareness from motorfunctions. It's not the same as alcohol at all, but it does do its own thing.

This is exactly what makes it great in small doses for fingerpicking guitar I find, whereas the same thing makes singing worse. The disconnect it causes with the fingerpicking results in a fluidity and particular groove that I can't replicate sober, whereas with singing the thing it disconnects is vital for me to do it fully, so it actually makes it worse.

How that relates to driving I'll stay out of, but pot most definitely affects your motor functions by said disconnect.

Old 1st February 2014
Gear Guru

I thought I was going to die driving home from Georgetown in pouring rain
coming down Canal Road after having 3 drinks over 4 hours.

I have never felt that loss of control from smoking marijuana, not even close.

Yes you can get "spaced out" and lose your concentration and forget parts and flub the execution of your performance, but you can do that stone cold sober too.

The only bothersome physical effect of smoking marijuana is the drying of the
eyes which to some may feel like a hay fever allergy.

Also keep in mind when I'm speaking of smoking, I'm talking a few puffs over the course of an evening.

I'm not taking 10 bong hits trying to get as wasted as humanly possible.
Old 1st February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I thought I was going to die driving home from Georgetown in pouring rain
coming down Canal Road after having 3 drinks over 4 hours.

I have never felt that loss of control from smoking marijuana, not even close.

Yes you can get "spaced out" and lose your concentration and forget parts and flub the execution of your performance, but you can do that stone cold sober too.

The only bothersome physical effect of smoking marijuana is the drying of the
eyes which to some may feel like a hay fever allergy.

Also keep in mind when I'm speaking of smoking, I'm talking a few puffs over the course of an evening.

I'm not taking 10 bong hits trying to get as wasted as humanly possible.
I still believe there are definite physical effects as it does its thing to your mind. Effects that can be harnessed for some things and are a liability for others. And I am not talking about anything other than you, amounts wise.
Old 1st February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I still believe there are definite physical effects as it does its thing to your mind.
Yes, the science supports this. (Google is your friend ).

Alistair
Old 1st February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Yes, the science supports this. (Google is your friend ).

Alistair
Google ain't my friend, but I do use it.
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
That might be true, but physical motor skills and coordination are not the only pieces of the "safe and responsible driving" puzzle.

Situation awareness suffers. You might not notice important traffic sign. You might not realize why the guy from behind is honking.

You easily make navigation errors when high, like missing an exit - errors which you sometimes try to correct by abruptly cutting lanes risking collisions

etc etc

If you want to drive while stoned - get your self a playstation.
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Guru

It has been rare that I do such things, but I am in full control or I don't risk it.

I'm more worried about the folks having 2 drinks, taking a few puffs and then
totaling their car because they took their eyes off the road to see who called or trying to find the cigarette that just dropped in their lap, something that
takes their full time and attention away from driving.

This is an accident waiting to happen.

I'm actually far more conservative than people might think when it come to safety.

It's not like I have one of these for a license plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv View Post
That might be true, but physical motor skills and coordination are not the only pieces of the "safe and responsible driving" puzzle.

Situation awareness suffers. You might not notice important traffic sign. You might not realize why the guy from behind is honking.

You easily make navigation errors when high, like missing an exit - errors which you sometimes try to correct by abruptly cutting lanes risking collisions

etc etc

If you want to drive while stoned - get your self a playstation.
Old 3rd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
At least part of the "2001: A Space Odyssey" soundtrack was composed under the influence of drugs:

Apparently Ligeti composed "Lux Aeterna" when recovering from surgery for a perforated intestine, which led to him being addicted to morphine for three years. Not really a "cool" drug story, but there you go.
Wow, Sean... that's a great story...
Old 3rd February 2014
Gear Guru

I don't want to be a troll or a sour grape but come on guys, is this really about gear ?, this should not be in So much gear so little time.
O wait I will take some of it back, if you are doing drugs then "so little time" will fit the headline.
Old 3rd February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I don't want to be a troll or a sour grape but come on guys, is this really about gear ?, this should not be in So much gear so little time.
O wait I will take some of it back, if you are doing drugs then "so little time" will fit the headline.
What do you mean? The whole thread is about gear......
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

It is clear Opiates are wickedly seductive and highly addictive, especially to those with addictive personality disorders.

Alcohol turns people into assholes!

Marijuana simply has no place being included in the same categories as a dangerous drug.

RX drugs kill more people every day, than Marijuana ever has since the beginning of civilization.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
It is clear Opiates are wickedly seductive and highly addictive, especially to those with addictive personality disorders.

Alcohol turns people into assholes!

Marijuana simply has no place being included in the same categories as a dangerous drug.

RX drugs kill more people every day, than Marijuana ever has since the beginning of civilization.
It's sad and backwards that we actually have to defend a harmless medicinal herb. It's like if tea were illegal, but meth was legal. Alcohol is only legal because it was impossible to ban, and many people take this to mean alcohol is okay, but cannabis is wrong.

We have grown accustomed to it, and even encourage it, but drunk people are ****ing 'tards. People laugh when they piss themselves and fight each other and puke on themselves, as if it is cute or something. But really it is sad, and no better than crack, and even more addictive. Drunk driving is another seriously ****ed up thing. Congressmen who drive drunk are always given a pass, because it has become normal, but one whiff of marijuana and they are outcast.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

Interestingly enough, the only actual scientific study done on Mary Jane and driving was carried out in Germany and the results showed that. People under the influence of marijuana were far "safer" drivers than straight drivers. A huge number of accidents are caused by people drifting into "routine" and assuming they know what they are doing and ignoring the minor changes that can be lethal in local conditions they think they know well. People who are stoned simply tend not to do that, it's as if there's a..."Gawd I'm stoned, I had better be doubly sure " mindset. People also commented that, under the influence of marijuana they were acutely aware of the fact they were driving half a ton of steel and plastic whereas, when straight, it doesn't even occur to them that cars are essentially, a lethal weapon. The results of the German study are still around on the "Darknet", last time I looked, they have vanished from the usual net.
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
Interestingly enough, the only actual scientific study done on Mary Jane and driving was carried out in Germany and the results showed that. People under the influence of marijuana were far "safer" drivers than straight drivers. A huge number of accidents are caused by people drifting into "routine" and assuming they know what they are doing and ignoring the minor changes that can be lethal in local conditions they think they know well. People who are stoned simply tend not to do that, it's as if there's a..."Gawd I'm stoned, I had better be doubly sure " mindset. People also commented that, under the influence of marijuana they were acutely aware of the fact they were driving half a ton of steel and plastic whereas, when straight, it doesn't even occur to them that cars are essentially, a lethal weapon. The results of the German study are still around on the "Darknet", last time I looked, they have vanished from the usual net.
Interesting on two levels. Sad on the second.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
If I understand you correctly, that may be the only study in which subjects were actually given marijuana and then asked to drive (which leads me to question the methodology, as one of two things must be true: 1. Either the driving was done under controlled and therefore artificial conditions, in which case I question the validity of translating the results to the real world OR 2. They let stoned drivers loose on their public, which is at best reckless and at worst criminal IMO. I have to think it's the former), but there are plenty of meta-study analysis that simply look at people's driving records in the real world who smoke pot regularly.

This article mentions the results from, I think, nine of such studies: Marijuana Use May Double the Risk of Accidents for Drivers | News | Mailman School of Public Health

As with the British Medical Journal, the conclusion is that pot smokers are twice as likely to be involved in a serious accident.

If I did not understand your comments correctly regarding the German experiment and they didn't do what I read your comments to mean that they did, I would ask what they did actually do in this study and what makes it different/better than the analysis usually conducted to determine this sort of thing.
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

I'm just gonna take a wild guess that any official tests in Germany were probably done and Nurnberg or some other place where they train police officers defensive driving techniques including use of skid pads.

Your fear is based on no personal experience, reading a government endorsed report deliberately slanted towards supporting the continuation of prohibition.

The danger in any driving situation is physical loss of control or secondary distracted driving. As mentioned earlier, the use of a cellphone while driving is far more dangerous.

How many times have you taken your eyes off the road for a few seconds to dial a number, read a text or just to see who's calling and then looked up and realize you are swerving out of the lanes or damn near rear ended someone?

The German study is correct, when used alone, drivers tend to slow down and drive very carefully. You are more likely to be pulled over for driving too slow. The awareness of condition is generally in full focus without the usual complacency or over confidence.

Medically, smoking without eating may cause a drop in blood sugar and this
is what generally causes The Munchies. Contact lenses may feel uncomfortable due to change
in pressure in the eye.

In the real world, you can't smoke too much.
It is nothing like alcohol where the more you drink the worse your condition
deteriorates. You are more likely to curl up in a corner and take a nap or raid
the fridge. Where alcohol causes increasing anger, depression, aggression, & loss of motor skills, smoking leaves you calm, relaxed, happy, creative, and generally peaceful.

Honestly, take a day trip to Amsterdam with a group of your most trusted and objective peers. You might get through 1/2 a joint before you're just fine.
You won't turn into a raving lunatic or a threat to society.

The problem for governments is unravelling 60 years of lies.
Lies that have put people in prison, destroyed families and destroyed careers
all for NOTHING!
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Honestly, take a day trip to Amsterdam with a group of your most trusted and objective peers. You might get through 1/2 a joint before you're just fine.
You won't turn into a raving lunatic or a threat to society.
you're preaching to the choir here in general, but this is bad advice. its great until you leave the coffee shop. i watched too many stumble out the doors and wondered how the unknown layout of the city, the canals, the cyclists, the trams, the cars, the "normal" people, etc, would sit with the experience of being stoned. far too hectic until you are a seasoned toker. its difficult to be street savvy and stoned when there are multiple distractions. do this in a new city...?

i find melodies come easier when i have had a toke. maybe it is because my guitaring becomes more fluid so i can concentrate on the vocal. maybe it is just perception. i do not get satisfactory results from recording stoned. it sounds good at the time, but fresh ears the next day tell the whole picture. good for development of ideas, bad for putting together the final product in my experience.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The German study is correct, when used alone, drivers tend to slow down and drive very carefully. You are more likely to be pulled over for driving too slow. The awareness of condition is generally in full focus without the usual complacency or over confidence.
It also compromises your reaction time in emergency situations. When everything is honky-dory, stoned drivers drive fine. But if something suddenly happens, requiring split-second reaction - reaction time suffers.

First google hit:

Marijuana and Driving: A Review of the Scientific Evidence

"Although cannabis intoxication has been shown to mildly impair psychomotor skills, this impairment does not appear to be severe or long lasting. In driving simulator tests, this impairment is typically manifested by subjects decreasing their driving speed and requiring greater time to respond to emergency situations."

Of course its far, far less risky than driving drunk, but to argue that a stoned driver is equally capable as a sober one? I don't know man... I don't think so.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

Also, you're forgetting about paranoia! You don't have that so much with alcohol... but when stoned.. everything or anything could cause it. And when that kicks in... I think your senses are worse than before.

But my contribution to the subject... White Witch, "It's so nice to be stoned". Now I wasn;t there when they wrote it and recorded it... but I stand a strong position what influenced that song! lol.
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyOhara View Post
Also, you're forgetting about paranoia! You don't have that so much with alcohol... but when stoned.. everything or anything could cause it. And when that kicks in... I think your senses are worse than before.

But my contribution to the subject... White Witch, "It's so nice to be stoned". Now I wasn;t there when they wrote it and recorded it... but I stand a strong position what influenced that song! lol.
The ONLY reason for paranoia is worrying about being busted for defiance of
a BS law that has no business being on the books in the first place.
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

You could say the same thing about driving while tired.

Nothing like driving down the road with tunnel vision barely able to keep
your eyes open from lack of sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv View Post
It also compromises your reaction time in emergency situations. When everything is honky-dory, stoned drivers drive fine. But if something suddenly happens, requiring split-second reaction - reaction time suffers.

First google hit:

Marijuana and Driving: A Review of the Scientific Evidence

"Although cannabis intoxication has been shown to mildly impair psychomotor skills, this impairment does not appear to be severe or long lasting. In driving simulator tests, this impairment is typically manifested by subjects decreasing their driving speed and requiring greater time to respond to emergency situations."

Of course its far, far less risky than driving drunk, but to argue that a stoned driver is equally capable as a sober one? I don't know man... I don't think so.
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
This article mentions the results from, I think, nine of such studies: Marijuana Use May Double the Risk of Accidents for Drivers | News | Mailman School of Public Health
That research only shows correlation, not causation.

Alistair
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
That research only shows correlation, not causation.

Alistair
Very few things show causation, usually only correlation. Never stops people quickly interpreting it how it suits them though.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

I've made 'great' music straight and 'terrible' music stoned.

I've made 'great' music stoned and 'terrible' music straight.

Much like the many classic albums themselves some were made whilst high as high can be and others not and everywhere and anywhere in between.

If your abilities to create are defined by the drugs you take or do not take your in trouble imho.

The moment you need a crutch it is time to find something else to do imo.

The 'spark' of inspiration can and should be allowed to come at anytime.

Now enough ! Smoke em if you got em.

*cranks the dub*

*exhales*

Yeh baby. Yeh.
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

There was an item on BBC News Night last night titled Addiction and Creativity. Unfortunately I didn't realize my recorder was full so it didn't record anything. Duh! Anyone watch it?

Alistair
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You could say the same thing about driving while tired.
Absolutely.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear
It is hard to tell. i am a huge advocate of medical cannabis, as you can probably tell by my moniker, but there are many variable when it comes to driving, not the least of which are type of cannabis (potency, cannabinol mix, strain). And of course how much the person actually consumed, their tolerance, how good of a driver they are, etc. I highly doubt it improves driving significantly, but also doubt that it harms driving. Again it all depends, but at least they are doing real studies on it.

One thing is clear, it is much, much better than driving drunk or tired. I have almost killed myself falling asleep at the wheel, not high or anything. What they should do is make some kind of alarm that is triggered by your eyelids being closed for more than a certain period of time.
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
What they should do is make some kind of alarm that is triggered by your eyelids being closed for more than a certain period of time.
Yes, the air bag, though effective at waking you up, tends to react a bit late.

Alistair
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search