The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
classic albums made with drugs Modulation Plugins
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Guru

Some of the groups and people mentioned may have used various substances, but we shouldn't assume they recorded under the influence.
It's more likely they may have been influenced in writing and creativity from their experiences.
Old 18th January 2014
The Edward Furlongs - "Pieces of Me" - YouTube

Not a classic yet, but I did have a lot of coffee
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Hawkwind's 1st -

Nice that it had 'normal' tracks like mirror of illusion and hurry on sundown to bring you back ...

Old 18th January 2014
Gear Addict

Drugs are overrated - making music is not. Focus on making good music - it won't ruin your life or take it from you. SRV's In Step ... His first sober work, and arguably his best. What a tight album BTW!

Dj
Old 19th January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Frank Zappa always claimed to never have used drugs of any kind. Who knows if it was true or not.
Sorry that's what I ment. Forgot to quote the post asking albums made without drugs. He was pretty vocal about his position towards drugs and booze..
Old 19th January 2014
Post should have been called "Classic Albums that eventually got made by sober people despite lame ass use of drugs by naive artists... "
Old 19th January 2014
Gear Guru

These guys obviously have no business performing since they were perpetually
drunk in those days.

Of course when Stewart and The Jeff Beck Group opened for this young lady at the Alexandria Roller Rink everyone was wasted!

Old 19th January 2014
Lives for gear

New Order

"I've lived my life in the valleys
I've lived my life on the hills
I've lived my life on alcohol
I've lived my life on pills"

Old 19th January 2014
Gear Addict

Where exactly is this info coming from anyways? Ie: how exactly are you determining that Kurt Cobain was on heroin when Nevermind was being made? Or are you just generalizing that he dabbled in heroin during the writing process. Let's see if anyone can come up with a quote or proof that he or the rest of the band were high in the studio.

Bet you can't.
Old 19th January 2014
Here for the gear

Oh yea get high af and make classics lmao smh!
But hey that's what happens sometimes. But it's there to begin with you just have to be relaxed and confident enough to bring it out.
Old 19th January 2014
Gear Guru

Same As It Ever Was

Conformists vs. Non-Conformists

Monkeys vs. Jimmy Hendrix

The Four Seasons vs. The Beatles (a real double album)

Father Knows Best & The Ozzie & Harriet Show vs.
The Flintstones, Simpsons & Married With Children
Old 20th January 2014
Yeah, I second the first Hawkwind-album. It's an amazing record made by people tripping their minds of.

Others:

Happy Mondays - first three albums (MDMA, heroin, probably other stuff too)

Spacemen 3 - All four albums is great and to be considered classics if you're into neo-psychedelia (whatever they could get, especially heroin, MDMA and psychedelics)

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - failed to make ONE classic album but loads of classic songs over the years. Should have kept the heroin for the writing and recording process but stayed sober when choosing which songs to make the cut.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (pot, MDMA)

David Bowie - Low, Honky Dory (cocaine)

Nico - The Marble Index, Chelsea Girls (heroin, amphetamine)

Can - Future Days (pot, perhaps psychedelics)

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (heroin, cocaine)

Edith Piaf - Live at the Olympia (morphine)

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Waters (pot)

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (heroin, cocaine, pot)

John Cale - Paris 1919, Fear (cocaine, perhaps heroin)

Lou Reed - Berlin, Transformer (loads of heroin)

The Stooges - The Stooges, Funhouse

Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes (LSD)

Personally I find MDMA, psychedelics and opiates/opioids most effective for writing music and lyrics.
For recordings I find psychedelics too messy but MDMA is great for improvisational stuff, opium/heroin/tramadol for recording slow music or any kind of vocals and amphetamine/cocaine/ritaline great for playing fast and precise.

Opiates is great in the sense that unless overdoing you won't get stupid, just euphoric, very focused and impossible to freak out from any kind of anxiety of your own mind or others and totally imune to the effect of drama queens.
The cons is to avoid developing addiction and not at least the puking.

Cannabis is good for the whole thing if I'm being modest. Especially during the mixing process as it makes my ears really sensitive.

For engineering or producing other bands it depends on the vibe but a decent amount of amphetamine can make me go through these 15-hours sessions without getting stressed out and still behaving kindda normal.
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Guru

I might have 1 beer at a party.
If I buy a 6 pack it's usually Becks, Guinness Stout, and it lasts me for months.
I end up using it for cooking more than drinking.
For some reason, I can hold tequila and enjoy a sip of single malt scotch, but
just really don't drink much ever.

I drink strong coffee and green tea.

Marijuana & Hashish are the safest and 60 years of lies & drug war profiteering is enough already.

44 years without a driver controllable accident
31 years working with high voltage, never once had a lost time accident.
Worked a steady job of some sort for 44 years
Daughters are honor students & first in my family to attend university.
Retired at 59.

For all the negative propaganda, most rational adults are more like me than
the extreme cases they use as their justification to incarcerate otherwise,
responsible, law abiding citizens.

Smoking Marijuana leads to dangerous activities like giving the dog a bath,
heavy house chores and yard work, fine detailed work, tedious work, creative writing, music composition, arts, & appreciation. Reading a good book, laughter, watching a movie, raiding the fridge, amazing recipes, making love not war, handling in-laws, hugging your kids, or just plain relaxing after a long stressful day.
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmJetGuitar View Post
Personally I find MDMA, psychedelics and opiates/opioids most effective for writing music and lyrics.
For recordings I find psychedelics too messy but MDMA is great for improvisational stuff, opium/heroin/tramadol for recording slow music or any kind of vocals and amphetamine/cocaine/ritaline great for playing fast and precise.

Opiates is great in the sense that unless overdoing you won't get stupid, just euphoric, very focused and impossible to freak out from any kind of anxiety of your own mind or others and totally imune to the effect of drama queens.
The cons is to avoid developing addiction and not at least the puking.

Cannabis is good for the whole thing if I'm being modest. Especially during the mixing process as it makes my ears really sensitive.

For engineering or producing other bands it depends on the vibe but a decent amount of amphetamine can make me go through these 15-hours sessions without getting stressed out and still behaving kindda normal.
If I'm booking you for a session, how much lead time and info do you need to make sure you get jacked up on the right thing?
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Addict

Why limit to the last 50 years. There's certainly plenty of anecdotal evidence that intoxicants are often used to invoke "the muse"
The more important question is "does the artist control the drug or does the drug control the artist?" It's a dangerous dance that can have both magnificent and tragic results. Creativity and altered states of consciousness are a recurring theme in the world of art in general and music in particular.

Louis Armstrong was a daily marijuana user:
Great article: Louis Armstrong and Marijuana

Hector Berlioz was an opium user, Symphonie Fantasique may just qualify as the first known piece of psychedelic music composed in western notation
Leonard Bernstein -- Young People's Concerts

It's speculated that Mozart may have used marijuana and absinthe. He was certainly known to consume wine and beer and spirits;
Did Mozart Abuse Drugs? - Yahoo Answers

There's quite a bit of controversy about Beethoven's liver damage from chronic alcoholism.
Death of Ludwig van Beethoven - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The list goes on and on, both in music and intellectual life in general. Francis Crick was rumored to have conceived the double helix model of DNA while under the influence of LSD. Both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs frequently used marijuana (as a resident of Washington state I imagine Gates still does now...legally) In any case there's a price to be exacted that can only be calculated by each individual and none of this should be construed as an endorsement.

"...And as far as I'm concerned, it's like I say, drugs are not the problem. Other stuff is the problem."

Jerry Garcia

Read more at And as far as I'm concerned, it's like I say, drugs are not the problem. Other stuff is... - Jerry Garcia at BrainyQuote
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Addict

Now can someone name a classic album that didnt involve drugs at some point.
Old 20th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If I'm booking you for a session, how much lead time and info do you need to make sure you get jacked up on the right thing?
Hahaha... well, tell me genre, length of sessions and number of prima donnas in your band and it'll be easy. Anyway, it is occuring that I'm all soberr when recording other bands.

As for classics recorded without drugs; Otis Redding wasn't known to use drugs - and maybe he didn't. "Otis Blue" is a classic IMO. One of those albums that can take daily listening for a looooong time and still wanting more.
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Guru

The life of any struggling musician can easily lead to looking for ways to calm nerves, boost energy, dull mental and physical pain or to think outside the box.

There's a right time and place for everything, but it is better to celebrate once
you've actually accomplished something.

Just because alcohol is taxed and legal does not excuse or justify the harm it has done to so
many lives.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
your citing artists, I would imagine the engineers and/or producers were sober. Another thought would be, how many takes did it take to get it right while in an altered state?
You need to read Are we still Rolling by Phill Brown. In fact, everyone needs to read it.

Stephen
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Nut

most old electronic tracks were made under the influence of something magical... Moby used to love his heroin or something like that. and Trance has been scientifically proven to have the same effects as heroin/ecstasy on humans.
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Hanson - MMMBop

Otherwise, how do you explain it?
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear
Absolutely no contest...

ns
Old 21st January 2014
Steve Earle was a heavy user of Heroin and Cocaine on his first 4 albums. Arguably his best work too. Songs like CCKMP tell the story of his addictions. Check him out if your a fan of Outlaw Country..
Old 21st January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
Absolutely no contest...

ns
+1000 ^^

Happy Mondays - Hallelujah - Directed by Richard Heslop, and The Bailey brothers -1988 - Madchester on Vimeo

look at Shaun's face from 3:30 after the line 'Shaun William Ryder gonna lie down beside ya fill ya full of junk.'

That smile says everything you need to know.
Old 21st January 2014
Gear Maniac

it would be quicker to list the ones that were NOT done with drugs lol
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Haha, some people...

I don't think drugs lead to creativity, it's just that creative people are often drawn towards drugs because they seek new experiences. It's a shame when people get mixed up with hard drugs, and they, along with their music, become a slow motion journal of their own self destruction. It may be beautiful music, but it is sad and not worth it.

But there are people who can be indulgent with a purpose and not let it take them over. I'm pretty sure Sgt. Pepper qualifies as a drug album by any standard.

According to Lewisohn's 'Recording Sessions', Lennon was tripping on LSD at least once and had to go home early during those sessions. They all smoked pot in the back, and I also read in another biography that McCartney was into cocaine during the time of the long bass sessions for the album.

It's a great album, but not because of the drugs. Or maybe they were essential for them at the time, I don't know. But still, I doubt they were necessary during the time actually spent making the album. Then again, it depends on what you consider a drug.

It's hard to have a realistic opinion on this type of thing when coffee and heroine both fall under the distinguished title of 'drug'.
Old 21st January 2014
Here for the gear

I wish Trent Reznor would not have gotten clean.

I cant even listen to his latest album

Last edited by SatanInside; 21st January 2014 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: stretch marks
Old 21st January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Smoking Marijuana leads to dangerous activities like giving the dog a bath.....
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post

For all the negative propaganda, most rational adults are more like me than
the extreme cases they use as their justification to incarcerate otherwise,
responsible, law abiding citizens.

Smoking Marijuana leads to dangerous activities like giving the dog a bath,
heavy house chores and yard work, fine detailed work, tedious work, creative writing, music composition, arts, & appreciation. Reading a good book, laughter, watching a movie, raiding the fridge, amazing recipes, making love not war, handling in-laws, hugging your kids, or just plain relaxing after a long stressful day.
what a good post! my experience, after many years and many experiences, is that some drugs are great for the creative process. it is when they become a crutch, or a way to escape facing reality that needs dealing with, that the problems start.
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up View Post
imo :

this forum holds responsibility to not motivate people to do something based on some " hollywood storys ".

whats next ? you need to stick 3 melons up your ass to play accordeon ?
Tried that.
Didn't work.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search