The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I call BS! 70's style drums sound IS possible on a DAW Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

More 70s recording genius:

Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Okay, this thread is going to be far out!

Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

I posted some examples of the closest I ever got to 70's drum sound in another thread, but I decided to post another excerpt from that project also here - I think it is close to some style and vibe of the 70's drums, although done lo-fi and on a DAW in 2007...

I wish for some more contemporary attempts at that sound, it would be interesting to hear...
Attached Files

petka excerpt.mp3 (4.80 MB, 133 views)

Old 24th November 2009
Gear Guru

This one is about 10 months old. I can hear how I definitely made the musical shifts in the right direction.

I think it vibes likes the 70's, no doubt, and the textures are total 70's as well. But it doesn't sound like it was recorded in the 70's, and *that* I believe is the hardest part of all. That's what I'm gonna try for when I get my new room set up.

Meanwhile, this is a pretty cool little tune if I do say so myself.

Sneaky Little Devil - It's Your Song

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Okay, damn it, I'm in...

I've got the bell bottoms and the bong...
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
yEA. I'm in too.
I'll try to post something up soon.

Well played gentlemen. Sounds like we've got Lakeshorefatty on board as well, and possibly Yetihunter if his path isn't insular.

Now, how to organize and collectivize the formidable brainpower and will we've got here...

I'm off to meditate on it. If y'all come up with any ideas, I'm all ears.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Nut

Hmm. I love this stuff as much as anybody else, but does anyone else think our generation of 'recordists' spend too much time referencing the past? I doubt the advances of the 60s, 70s and (arguably) 80s/90s would've occurred if they had spent their time trying to recreate the sound of the 40s or whatever.

Anyone care to post 'modern' drum sounds recorded on digital that are artistically tasteful, yet push the boundaries towards what HASN'T been done yet? I'll start!

Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Oh, This is my song right here! I can't believe someone linked to it.

I've got a recording of me and some guys covering this song from a few years ago around here somewhere.

Love it, love it, love it.

I've got a bunch of Gil on vinyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus View Post
More 70s recording genius:

Old 24th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4'33" View Post
Anyone care to post 'modern' drum sounds recorded on digital that are artistically tasteful, yet push the boundaries towards what HASN'T been done yet?

Those sounds are badass, that's a great tune!

But overcompression, distortion, and hyperlimiting aren't exactly new or uncharted waters, and the clip above sounds like a refinement or twist on what is now solidly established ground. Radiohead & the Flaming Lips blew it up on the mainstream over a decade ago, and underground it was brewing for quite some time before anyone even heard of those guys.

To be clear, I have no interest in getting everyone to pursue and recreate the sound of 1975. What I *do* want is to resurrect and re-animate the techniques and textures of that era in order to help preserve it as merely one small part of a larger family of sounds. I make no judgments about what is new vs. old, what is forward vs. backward, what art should or shouldn't be about. I just know what I like, I trust when a bunch of other people tell me they like it too, and I find it a little sad that few of us (if any) are able to actually conjure the magic we hold in such high regard.

Daptone has their 67-72 soul thing, and it is badass thru and thru and they've nailed it imo. They're not looking to change the world, they just wanted to do their thing and pursued their vision. I encourage you to do the same, and everyone else for that matter.

So I can't agree that there's too much 'referencing of the past', I'm not even sure how to quantify such a thing. What I would personally love is to see fewer people judging other people's processes and preferences, when we're all in our own way on the same team, we're all pursuing our craft and our aesthetics to the best of our abilities.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Well played gentlemen. Sounds like we've got Lakeshorefatty on board as well, and possibly Yetihunter if his path isn't insular.

Now, how to organize and collectivize the formidable brainpower and will we've got here...

I'm off to meditate on it. If y'all come up with any ideas, I'm all ears.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Cool man. Its your song sounds much thicker and beefier than the version i heard a few years back. Sounds like your tones are closer than most folks that have been persuing that sound in this thread. Why not have the drums stand prouder in the mix? They and the bass are the closest instruments to being played with the touch of that past era. Typically they would sit on top more i feel. The tone of the drums is great though, i think its right in the ballpark, just more compressed than the drummers at that time.

I think its amazing those old drums sound so uncompressed because the playing is so damn tight you'd think it had to be pinned down but for the most part it sounds open and clear on those old records. Just amazing playing all around.

I have a particular song on the project I'm working on where i'll be shooting for that drum tone. Most of them I have tried to retain a more old school tone but i've warped and shaped them a bit to fit the arrangement and they've landed more modern. If I'd worked on and mixed more of this song i'm referring to I'd post a clip.

Russell
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

oh.. also.. I'm in!

Russell
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4'33" View Post
Hmm. I love this stuff as much as anybody else, but does anyone else think our generation of 'recordists' spend too much time referencing the past? I doubt the advances of the 60s, 70s and (arguably) 80s/90s would've occurred if they had spent their time trying to recreate the sound of the 40s or whatever.

Anyone care to post 'modern' drum sounds recorded on digital that are artistically tasteful, yet push the boundaries towards what HASN'T been done yet? I'll start!

Love me some Tortoise.
Old 27th November 2009
Quote:
Has anyone ever captured the sound of another time where it really sounded like that time?

I don't think I've ever heard it ever.
I'm pretty sure I could capture a big 80s rock sound. But then I'd have to shoot myself.

heh
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Has anyone ever captured the sound of another time where it really sounded like that time?

I don't think I've ever heard it ever.

Nonsense!

Sounds like 70:

Sounds like 77:

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Guru

Nonsense! heh

Sounds like 70:

Sounds like 77:

Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

yeah man! i love the sound of the early 70s funk stuff.....that lovely round top end but with that 'hisssss'..........i always make an effort to go for that sound......the next thing i get mastered i am gonna be VERY specific with my ME and ask him NOT to dial in the 'air'.......i am gonna actually get him to roll OFF the top a bit and really hit the tape machine hard!......coz modern mastering (you know with top-end for days and the whole thing squeezed and crushed to death) just does NOT go hand-in-hand with THAT sound. i am committed brother!
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nonsense!
I stand corrected (I guess). The Dap Kings definitely seems generally authentic. Still sort of some crucial differences I think.

What song from the 70s would you pick to compare? I picked the Staple Singers here. Could pick the Kenny Rogers, but that's 1968!

The other one I'd have to agree with "Sounds Great"...have no idea what to compare that to.

1970:

Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I'm pretty sure I could capture a big 80s rock sound. But then I'd have to shoot myself.

heh
Something along the lines of this perhaps?

(Changed the extension from .mid to.wav to get it to upload, change back if you must...)
Attached Files

80smegamix.wav (150.2 KB, 104 views)

Old 29th November 2009
Gear Guru

Or how about 70' :

77' :

Man, there is some 70's drums! thumbsup
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nonsense!

Sounds like 70:

Sounds like 77:

Gregory Scott - ubk
Man, it's how those vocals sit/sound in that Daptone song that sold me on the sound, just brilliant. I notice that when folks are going for this sound today, the vocals always sound a bit too clear and upfront.These guys nailed it for sho. It's always a dead giveaway to me, I'll hear a new tune and the drums are there then the bass come in and I'm like...oh ****, watch out, Here it comes...... they're gonna nail it........and then the vocals come in and...........NOPE. Too clean/clear.......missing something. A certain raspyness/grainyness or something is missing...??? Maybe tape?

Air always has such great analog keyboard sounds. I wonder if they're using an old roland on that tune. I know they use computers and even digital stuff along with all those old classic keyboards. High's and low's always tucked under a bit, nothing screams new music more than a big lowend and crispy highs. Somehow though, Fleetwood Mac can do both and sound great at it.. ??
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Too clean/clear.......missing something. A certain raspyness/grainyness or something is missing...??? Maybe tape?

Totally agreed that the vocal is the main tell for modern production, it's like the one place people are most afraid to take risks, maybe sing into a cheapass dynamic, let it burn.

Dynamic mic, high cut, low cut, tape sat, some combo of trafo/tube/transistor breakup in healthy doses, probably at every stage... that's the daptone sound to my ears.

Quote:
Air always has such great analog keyboard sounds. I wonder if they're using an old roland on that tune.

What I primarily hear keyboardwise is mellotron strings, mellotron vibes up the right, piano, some kind of pad on the left occasionally reinforcing the strings.

I love its dryness and softness.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Dynamic mic, high cut, low cut, tape sat, some combo of trafo/tube/transistor breakup in healthy doses, probably at every stage... that's the daptone sound to my ears.
bingo.

Yea yea, that warbly string sound, almost gliding in and out of tune. Very pretty.
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Maniac

There is so much going on here that I care to comment; however I'll stick to feigning hot-air and vaporware vespers for the next six months.
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It's all about balancing the advances and the mainstays.
Unfortunately, lot's of great things have been lost in the shuffle.

My grandmother and I were listening to Les Paul performing "caravan" the other day, and we both noticed an interplay that doesn't exist on modern records anymore.

it used to be standard for instruments to swap parts (melody, chords) in a pop arrangement. Now that many tunes are written through overdub sessions; that
dynamic has been all but lost.

We giggled, reflecting upon the fact that we noticed this in a performance by the man who is cited as inventing multi-track recording.

Obviously, this is more of a music topic, than a technology topic. However; it is a case where modern recording techniques have altered popular music for the negative.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Here's one @ a month ago, no vocals yet but an instrumental little jam to try and dial some sounds in.
Attached Files

02 bloom to wilt.mp3 (4.16 MB, 140 views)

Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiHunter View Post
It's all about balancing the advances and the mainstays.
Unfortunately, lot's of great things have been lost in the shuffle.

My grandmother and I were listening to Les Paul performing "caravan" the other day, and we both noticed an interplay that doesn't exist on modern records anymore.

it used to be standard for instruments to swap parts (melody, chords) in a pop arrangement. Now that many tunes are written through overdub sessions; that
dynamic has been all but lost.

We giggled, reflecting upon the fact that we noticed this in a performance by the man who is cited as inventing multi-track recording.

Obviously, this is more of a music topic, than a technology topic. However; it is a case where modern recording techniques have altered popular music for the negative.
i got the pleasure of setting up and watching 9 musicians in a room taking a basic chord chart and honing a song..by the time i was engineering in earnest [early /mid 80's] there was a drum programmer , a keyboard player and then bass and gtr overdubs
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Here's one @ a month ago, no vocals yet but an instrumental little jam to try and dial some sounds in.

Since we're talkin' 70's here, I gotta say that your song, esp. the guitar tones (bass and elec), sounds waaay more 80's than 70's. The 'verse' reminds me of, say, Chris Isaac, and the 'chorus' reminds me of Andy Summers with the chorusing and ska-strumming. This is 50% a tone/fx/mix placement thing, and 50% a musical/voicing thing.

BTW those are both awesome artists to be evoking, but 70's they are not!

This is an interesting example because it shows how critical the music itself is to evoking the vibe of an era. Even if your tones were totally "authentic" --- less shimmer and wetness, lcr placements, darker boxier more saturated drums, less snarl more trumpet on the bass tone --- it wouldn't feel like the 70's.

I think your production choices are appropriate for the music, and I'd advise against trying to make it sound like something it's not. Not that you're trying to do that, but since you posted the clip on this particular thread I figured the 70's play into your thinking somehow.

Gergory Scott - ubk
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

I totally agree, and knew that chorus on the guitar and the style of the music would be a dead giveaway to a NOT 70's........but I thought there was hope in the drums. It's not a blown out studio sound, but maybe a small studio in 79'...??? lol... maybe not.

OK, I've got a couple others to work with, some dryer sounding stuff, maybe with more distance in the sounds, bigger /dead room, less fx.
ummm..... telecaster through a fender vibrochamp. 3 mics on the kit, maybe a soul or R&b tune or something....mic'd bass cab. I'll be back.

70's drum sounds.......TAKE TWO!

Steelyfan
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

The "distance" of the sound plays SUCH a big part that.......it's frustrating........but something to be studied.

If you listen to Can't buy a Thrill for example, you're watching the music from afar, like a movie........it's in the distance. But then put in a Stevie Wonder albulm, maybe Fullfillingness' First Finale.....and you're IN the studio for this one. BOTH VERy 70's though.

And WHY did the font change?...... hmmmm....... weird.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I'm still planning to post something here I'm working on. It won't be perfect but it will be the best i can manage right now. I need about another week. I'm working on it a little each day though between day job/wife/daughter/house/xmas stuff though.

Russell
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I just did a country tune with two friends, recorded drums , bass, and acoustic guitar in the room at once. They BOTH said it sounds like old 70's country......except the damn vocal.....which is a B%tch. It's not my tune, but I'll get with "ol boy" lol... and see if he minds if I post it.

It's kinda a silly song, but it's got a vibe to it. Kinda like a crawfish boil/ wedding part song......silly lyrics with a joyous message type of thing.
You CAN shake a booty to it however.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search