The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I call BS! 70's style drums sound IS possible on a DAW Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

Midlake has some pretty 70's sounding drums on their last record, done digitally
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus888 View Post
Anyone else like putting t-shirts on snare drums?
here here ................ also the old wallet
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 View Post
Ahhhh, that funky-ass ****!
Old 14th November 2009
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b View Post
Somebody give me some carpeted room, ultra-dry, taped-cymbals and drums approach! I know it can still be done just like it was in the 70s...
Sure. http://www.jinxtigr.com/temp/StealthKitJam.mp3

I was making 70s kits for EXS24. I thought I was onto something really unique- well, NOT so unique, but in that narrow little arena I did end up doing some decent stuff

That's "StealthKit", $30. The kick's so dry it has a blanket stretched across it all the resonance of the kick comes from the toms. Might not be the be-all end-all drumkit product but it is most certainly a 70s retro sound, kinda Steely Dannish.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

they might sound like 70's "keyboard " drums but nothing like a real drum set
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
70's drum sounds are so diverse. From Bonham to Yes to the Who to Rush to Sabbath to Floyd etc... there is not one sound really very diverse. I think all 60's drum sounds are primarily the same. The Bealtes sounded like the Association or the byrds Cream drum sounds sounded like Hedrix. In the 80's you were pretty much either hair band drum sound or newwavy styles like flock of seagulls or whatever. 90's had some good sounds very diverse. From Tool to Soundgarden to Pumpkins to Kidrock
lot's of good stuff but Some crap too.

But 70's was the era. You can't compare Say Zep 4 drum sound to say Simon Phillips on a Judas Priest LP or Cozy on a Rainbow cd. You can't find too much common ground on Fleetwood Mac Rumors to Van Halen I. It's all good but all different. In fact rumors was cut in the same exact studio around the same time as VHI but totally different sound and approach.

One not better than the other just different but all good,. you can't pinpoint it or recreate it. since 'it' is 100 different things
done 100 different ways.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
70's drum sounds are so diverse. From Bonham to Yes to the Who to Rush to Sabbath to Floyd etc... there is not one sound really very diverse.
One not better than the other just different but all good,. you can't pinpoint it or recreate it. since 'it' is 100 different things
done 100 different ways.
and that's only rock from the estates played by mostly white folks this^ genius is talking about .... just imagine !!
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
and that's only rock from the estates played by mostly white folks this^ genius is talking about .... just imagine !!
what does that even mean?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

It's a cool sound, but it's way too shiny and crisp to be 70's.

Needs more white leather belt and green slacks, less versace shades and members only jacket.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

I think he's trying to say he didn't cover all his bases. He missed the likes of Lenny White and Billy Cobham.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

sorry i'm not an native english speaker my apologies i'm going to try harder mom i promise...In spite of the fact that the 70's came with some many different flavors and diversities of sound, there was still a very recognizable boxy sort of sound, you can hear that on records from Sergio Mendez, Billy Cobham playing with FANIA, to Sabbath and even ABBA. Kind of a boxy fake futurism that was imparted on many of those recordings and all media in general.. Am i making any sense? to the OP, you can start by tuning that snare way down
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

what is the 70's drum sound??

overall and crossing genres i'd say dead rooms , dead drums and tight miking making drums sound like plastic lidded coffee cans being played with paint stirrers
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:

Wait... how? As a damper, like a wallet? Or across the whole drum?

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
dead rooms , dead drums and tight miking making drums sound like plastic lidded coffee cans being played with paint stirrers
Lol! Funny.....and sorta true. My favorite drum sounds!
But didn't 70's music in general sound like that"?

Lenny White's drums on RW sound great to me.

Lot's of different drum sounds then though. I liked 'em all.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

It's totally possible since it does not depend on the d.a.w.It seems there are are many flavors of 70's style.Not everyone shares the same concept of what is"70's" style.

"If you could just split your hands!"
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Needs more white leather belt and green slacks
Interesting, add a blue button down and tan driving mocassins and that's what I'm wearing today.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I always liked Purdie's snare sound. I swear they just used a big fat wet wallet.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, also a fan of putting snare drums on tee shirts..

Old 19th November 2009

Quote:
Don't listen to jazz fusion much? AKA: Herbie Hancock, Jean-Luc Ponty, Frank Zappa ect.....
it; cool - but it doesnt sound 70's...sounds groovey and is the style and playing of the 70s - but its waaaay to bright in the wrong places to sound like a hancock record..... good though.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsg02 View Post
Midlake has some pretty 70's sounding drums on their last record, done digitally
I really like that band. Some strange J.Tull influence in there too. I like the sound of that second record.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Lol! Funny.....and sorta true. My favorite drum sounds!
But didn't 70's music in general sound like that"?

Lenny White's drums on RW sound great to me.

Lot's of different drum sounds then though. I liked 'em all.
yeah the 70's sucked engineering wise because the big 60's sound of 4 and 8 track productions and bands playing together gave way to multi tracking hell where everything was tight miked and done in pieces
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

Whoever said 80's drums were limited to 2 sounds is on crack. NTTAWWT.

Early 80's superdry thud drums sound amazing to my ears. Peter Gabriel started quite a thing and Phil Collins made it shiny and explosive, and the Power Station crew made it ubiquitous. Dave Jerden created some interesting plasticene overcompressed cave drums with Jane's.

The sequenced happy pop drums of the Whams bore little resemblence to the metallic industrial vibe of the Depeche Modes. Prince managed to fall somewhere in the middle. Toward the end of the decade sampling was coming into vogue, Milli Vanilli blew up the loop, Tone Loc dried up the triggered stuff, and production fashion turned a corner into the 90's where things began to dry up once more and return to their roots.

I don't really care for the 80's so much, but it was arguably one of the more sonically diverse eras in history, despite having such a signature vibe overall. Stylistically, this is 10x more true, you could be bubblegum clubby or swingabilly or hair metal or 50's throwback or r'nb cheesecrooner or goths-in-a-cave or rootsy or thrashy and still enjoy chart success and airplay alongside any of the other sounds going on. Things tended to be overproduced, but there was a tremendous variety of vibes happening underneath the candycoating.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whoever said 80's drums were limited to 2 sounds is on crack. NTTAWWT.

Early 80's superdry thud drums sound amazing to my ears. Peter Gabriel started quite a thing and Phil Collins made it shiny and explosive, and the Power Station crew made it ubiquitous. Dave Jerden created some interesting plasticene overcompressed cave drums with Jane's.

The sequenced happy pop drums of the Whams bore little resemblence to the metallic industrial vibe of the Depeche Modes. Prince managed to fall somewhere in the middle. Toward the end of the decade sampling was coming into vogue, Milli Vanilli blew up the loop, Tone Loc dried up the triggered stuff, and production fashion turned a corner into the 90's where things began to dry up once more and return to their roots.

I don't really care for the 80's so much, but it was arguably one of the more sonically diverse eras in history, despite having such a signature vibe overall. Stylistically, this is 10x more true, you could be bubblegum clubby or swingabilly or hair metal or 50's throwback or r'nb cheesecrooner or goths-in-a-cave or rootsy or thrashy and still enjoy chart success and airplay alongside any of the other sounds going on. Things tended to be overproduced, but there was a tremendous variety of vibes happening underneath the candycoating.

Gregory Scott - ubk

yeah but over produced is the key word sir, but i've agreed to a point, duran duran and the police had very little in common, prince early madona rocks, krs, living colour and sergio vargas cool but all over produced, to many new toys to play with i guess ?
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wait... how? As a damper, like a wallet? Or across the whole drum?

Gregory Scott - ubk
I get a small tshirt and stretch it across the entire drum.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I get a small tshirt and stretch it across the entire drum.

So it's over the top and bottom heads? If it stretches over the hoops, it's not actually touching the skins is it?

I fear I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be. Is there any chance someone could post a pic or two of what this looks like?

For the record, I completely suck at comprehending verbal descriptions of physical and spatial relations!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Yes , Just like a wallet.

T-towels work just as well to.

Just overlaid over the top skin of the drum and left to drape around and over the edge.

Think 'ringo' @ abbey road.

works great on toms to boot!

Gareth
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, this friend of mine use to do that back in the 80's.

Just take the snare off the stand. Stretch a small t-shirt over the entire drum and with the front of the shirt on the batter head. (it works best if you use a shirt with your favorite band on it or some other cool design).

Then put it back on the stand and get busy. heh
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Nice. Care to explain the setup?
Old 22nd November 2009
Quote:
Everyone in this forum seems to think you can't obtain a 70's style drum sound with a DAW.

Here's a quick drum beat I was working on. It's a little excerpt taken from 2 minutes of the same beat. I started getting off. Here's the best 30 seconds of it.
I definitely think you can go a long way to recapturing a 70s style drum sound but this clip is nothing like that. At least not what I think of when I think of the more desirable of those sounds.

I'm not sure what the OP was really going for, there. Perhaps it's merely a difference of perspectives on the 70s. But I did have feet (in full-size adult shoes) on the ground in the 70s and I remember that decade quite well. And its product finds its way into my player these days at least as much as any other decade save may be the 60s (and that's only because for a couple decades I barely played any 60s music -- or 70s for that matter -- so I'm on a bit of a nostalgia gig, making up for the time I was too hip to play the music of my wayward, lost youth).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search