The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Summing 3 DAWS and 4 Synths......
Old 11th November 2009
Summing 3 DAWS and 4 Synths......

I mainly compose music using:

1.Omni, Stylus, Trillian on my Main Mac Running Pro Tools LE (002r)

2.A VisionDaw with a 96/52 card runs Kontakt Komplete

3.I am getting a Second VisionDaw Loaded with Play Libraries.

4.I also want to use 3 or 4 synths.

My Rosetta 200 wont be able to handle this anymore.

What are my options for summing all of this??

I keep reading threads where people say they are no longer using consoles, but what are you using?? Interested in all options from low, medium, to high end.

Thanks!!!

Paul
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaifox View Post
I mainly compose music using:

1.Omni, Stylus, Trillian on my Main Mac Running Pro Tools LE (002r)

2.A VisionDaw with a 96/52 card runs Kontakt Komplete

3.I am getting a Second VisionDaw Loaded with Play Libraries.

4.I also want to use 3 or 4 synths.

My Rosetta 200 wont be able to handle this anymore.

What are my options for summing all of this??

I keep reading threads where people say they are no longer using consoles, but what are you using?? Interested in all options from low, medium, to high end.

Thanks!!!

Paul
I think you have two problems here: sync and mixing (which you call summing), and they are related.

From your post, I infer that you want to treat each of your DAWs as some kind of synth on steroids, which is trivial when you have only one such synth. But when you want to coordinate multiple synths, then you need a fairly good system for keeping them all in sync. I would advise that you not underestimate the complexity of spreading out your composition across multiple machines as there is considerable opportunity for both version skew and patch skew. Nevertheless, if you really want to do it that way, and you have a solution for the sync problem, then the next question becomes: what do you do with the stems?

Alternatively, if you think the sync problem is too hairy, you can bounce everything to audio, one machine/synth at a time if you must, and then use any multitrack DAW for playback of the result. This makes for a slow transition between the composing process and the mixing process, but if you can manage the discipline of knowing what instrument you mainly need to work on, and leave your beds alone while you work on it, then you can have your "top" instrument feeding into the Rosetta 200 and let the DAW play all the beds underneath.

Finally, as to the question of mixing all these audio channels together, you really need to decide how much you want to be mixing vs. composing. And if you are serious about "summing" (as opposed to mixing), then that's a whole 'nother thing: to get any sonic benefits from analog summing vs. digital summing you need quite the environment, starting with the room and monitoring. But I presume you're really talking about what to do with all those channels of AES and/or ADAT coming out of your DAWs, as well as however many analog signals your synths can muster.

If you convert your 4 synth analog stereo IOs to AES or ADAT (using an RMD ADI-8) then you can collect *all* your AES and/or ADAT signals into a 4th DAW that uses the RME AES-32 card, and that becomes your mixer.

Alternatively, you can convert your 3 DAW outputs to analog using the 16 channel configuration of the RME's M-32 DA and then sum those analog signals with your synths into just about any analog mixer you like. One of my favorites is the Midas Venice 160 (which would give you 8 mono + 4 stereo analog inputs into the channels, plus 2 stereo FX returns and 2 stereo Aux returns).

Finally, you could trade your Rosetta 200 for a Fireface 800, feed your synths into the analog ports of that, feed two of your DAWs into the two ADAT input ports and feed the output of your 3rd DAW into the coax S/PDIF port.
Old 11th November 2009
Thanks for the Reply Clueless.

I'll explain a little better what I want to do.

In my second studio I have the same thing: Mac Running PT LE and 2 VisionDaws. All are going into an 01v96, and are getting sync clock from the Yamaha. 4 Synths are going into the analog I/O.

I compose and then bring back the entire mix back into Pro Tools from the Yamaha SPDIF Output.(sometimes stems, usually just the stereo master which I then treat with Waves, Altiverb or whatever)

Motu Midi for the synths and MOL for the DAWS. Works a dream.

For this studio I am headed the same direction but wondering if there is a way to do this without a Yamaha mixing console. Something of better quality then the Yamaha, but as simple to use.

Cheers!

Paul
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaifox View Post
For this studio I am headed the same direction but wondering if there is a way to do this without a Yamaha mixing console. Something of better quality then the Yamaha, but as simple to use.
I think that Yamaha has established themselves as quite the value-for-money leader in this application domain. If your goal is better sonics, I suggest you reference (by hearing) some studios that *do* sound better, and then ask yourself:
  • How much bigger is the room?
  • How much better is the room?
  • How much better treated is the room?
  • How much better are the monitors?
  • And only then...what are they using as a mixer?

The road to better sonics is an amazingly long one. If you start with the right room and the right approach, you can get there. But the idea that one piece of gear (or three!) will get you there by themselves is mostly wishful thinking.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Cubase has had System link for years now...well worth looking into it will solve all your problems.
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurubuzz View Post
Cubase has had System link for years now...well worth looking into it will solve all your problems.
Actually, I am not having any sync problems.

Just wondering what I can use to connect 3 ADAT inputs with 4 analog.

There is not a lot out there that I know of, and wondering if anybody might know of anything I have not heard of.

Thanks!

Paul
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
But the idea that one piece of gear (or three!) will get you there by themselves is mostly wishful thinking.
That is kind of what I thought. There may be another 01v96 in my future.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear