The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tuning Live Instruments in Post?
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Tuning Live Instruments in Post?

I've been recently fortunate to have several clients want LOTS of live musicians (hooray) on their recordings. Not just the usual suspects, but live string sections, reeds, etc...

I've noticed that to varying degrees, their tuning is a bit off (usually sharp), and when I go in and tune these things up, it cleans up everything immensely (Although I tune manually with Sonar's V-Vocal, so it IS time consuming.)

I have a medium sized isolation room, and most of the time will record each part seperately... Violin, then Violin II, then Viola, THEN Cello.. etc...)

I feel I've got some first rate musicians. (I'm in New York City, and they are ALL pros with great live AND recording credits.) I've now also begun to notice that on older recordings (say approx. pre-1995) I will hear many tuning discrepancies in the strings & reeds, but I DON'T hear them in modern recordings.

So my question is... is this common? Do you find yourself doing a lot of tuning?

If not, do you have any ideas that might help these very good players play more in tune to save myself more work later on?

Just curious.
Old 11th November 2009
Here for the gear

I play cello and record strings in rock projects fairly often. There are usually minor pitch issues with strings, even with great players. I usually use melodyne to correct a pitch center here and there while keeping the vibrato intact. It's always worked great, but I've never tuned entire performances.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear