The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
can the GR ME-1NV gain handle the SM7b?
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

can the GR ME-1NV gain handle the SM7b?

Hello, I just got a SM7b and I have a RNC that I know has enough gain to get what I need out of the SM7b, but I want to upgrade to a Great River ME-1NV, I was wondering if it has enough gain. Has anybody tried that combination?
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

short answer... Yes.

There are a lot of posts concerning this combo here...
Feel free to do a search!

all the best,
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagozt View Post
Hello, I just got a SM7b and I have a RNC that I know has enough gain to get what I need out of the SM7b, but I want to upgrade to a Great River ME-1NV, I was wondering if it has enough gain. Has anybody tried that combination?
Absolutely! Great Combo!!! The RNC is extremely useful over the insert point.

The SM7 is gain hungry, but its nothing the ME1NV can't satisfy. Using the RNC for light duty compression, and railing the output gain back into the output transformer is really cool.
Old 11th November 2009
Yes, easily enough gain, and just as important, it is quiet at those higher gains.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Cool, I have a RNC too so that's good to know... and I wanted to run the GR "cranked up" to get some color out of it, but I think that might be hard right? The GR has 60db of gain and I would have to turn the output knob down to run the output transformer hot which would decrease the gain by -10 db or less, right? Oh god, this is getting complicated, feel like I'm over thinking it
Old 11th November 2009
60db should still be enough for an SM-7b. It depends somewhat on the source SPL (a guitar amp or screaming vocalist is going to deliver a lot more volume than a quiet acoustic guitar), and how you have your A/D calibrated.
Old 11th November 2009
Regularly use that combo here. As much as 60 db and 0 on the output for soft passages. 30-35 db for screamers
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Cool, I have a RNC too so that's good to know... and I wanted to run the GR "cranked up" to get some color out of it, but I think that might be hard right? The GR has 60db of gain and I would have to turn the output knob down to run the output transformer hot which would decrease the gain by -10 db or less, right? Oh god, this is getting complicated, feel like I'm over thinking it
It is all relative to the source's level. Personally, I don't think you should worry about anything other than making the audio sound as good as possible.

My suggestion would be to take it as it comes and try it out if you have all of these things in front of you. One thing is clear, the SM7 needs a bit of gain to cut through a dense mix. No problem! The Great River will provide excellent amplification for this microphone. As Nathan pointed out, it will do this with VERY low noise. If you want more saturation for the sound, a good rule of thumb is to add more input gain, while pulling back the output gain. If you want a cleaner, more open response, pull back the input and open up the output. Its really as simple as that.

With a TRS cable between the insert point of the RNC and the ME1NV, the possibilities get even more extensive. With the RNC hanging on the insert point, you can hit the mic amp decently, not overlay saturated, but hot enough to drive the low output microphone. Maybe 35-60 DB of input gain, [as suggested] for a moderately loud source is a good place to start. When you dial in the compressor to hit the peaks a bit, keeping in mind how you hit the input stage of the preamp will affect your compressor, boosting the make up gain back into the preamp output, will help to bring up all the lower level detail and "soft stuff" INTO the OUTPUT transformer, [with a another gain trim] thus making the sound more dense and characterful on the way to the recorder.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

thanks guys, that's really helpful. I'm mostly worried about getting some "color" out of the GR, that being one of the reasons why I wanted to upgrade from the RNP's mild color bla bla bla. Don't mean to change the subject here, but maybe you have suggestions of other colored preamps for male vox for rock music. The GR is at the top of my list for sure because of it's price point and quality, but I'm open to suggestions... anyone?
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Another big plus about the GR is the "impedence" switch... I found out that it does affect the sound of every dynamic mics in a good way. Everything becomes more detailed.
Sometimes, a SM7 trough this pre can almost sound like a nice LDC (but on the dark side).
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks guys, that's really helpful. I'm mostly worried about getting some "color" out of the GR, that being one of the reasons why I wanted to upgrade from the RNP's mild color bla bla bla. Don't mean to change the subject here, but maybe you have suggestions of other colored preamps for male vox for rock music. The GR is at the top of my list for sure because of it's price point and quality, but I'm open to suggestions... anyone?
Don't worry about getting "color" out of the combo of the GR+sm7b...

The two together are colorful enough that there's no way to run the combination and get the color out of the audio picture... even if you run the output gain at full up.... you'll still be getting quite a load of "color" as both the mic and pre have loads of color to spare...

As someone else mentioned, the impedence button also adds some air and grit to this combo... it's really a great and versatile combo..
good luck!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_bro View Post
Sometimes, a SM7 trough this pre can almost sound like a nice LDC (but on the dark side).
Yeah, with the low cut enganged, foam removed, through the GR it can sound kind of like a nice darkish LDC with a timeless non-hyped natural sound.

I will recommend this combo highly, unless you're only doing very soft singing.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Yes, the GR, SM7b and RNC is one of my favorite vocal combos too.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear View Post
Yeah, with the low cut enganged, foam removed, through the GR it can sound kind of like a nice darkish LDC with a timeless non-hyped natural sound.

I will recommend this combo highly, unless you're only doing very soft singing.

Yes, true, I often remove the foam to.

I,m actually doing vocasl for an album... SM7 -> GR -> purple odd EQ -> tubetech CL1B...
mmmmmmm.....
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear