The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee AD1000
Old 2nd August 2002
Apogee AD1000

Have any of you guys tried one of those? They are 20 bit only... but...:eek:
Old 2nd August 2002
Lives for gear

I used to use these on my input to my dats when I print (and outputs D/A), but switched to a PSX-100 about a year ago and haven't looked back.
Old 3rd August 2002
It has a very solid reputation and should make you great DATS when put in front of any old DAT player.

Old 3rd August 2002
Gear Maniac

I once owned an ad-1000, yet sold before the market fell underneath the box completly...

In short - you can probbably now find one with a power supply in the range of $800-1000.

Although only 20-bit, they sound better than some 24-bit ****.

They also have two millenia media preamps based on the hv-3 (the preamps in the apogee are dual servo designs I believe)

Basically it's an older mini-me, and if that's what you need and the price is right, start hagglin with the guy.

I had a mini-me on order, yet it's been pushed back enough for me to think about selling or canceling, and just getting a HEDD.
Old 4th August 2002
Humm, I guess I'll just practice my self-control a little bit more and save to get a rostta
Old 4th August 2002
Lives for gear

Jeronimo,

I had a 1000 but like e-cue, I upgraded to a PSX 100 a few years ago. The 1000 was great at the time, but you are MUCH better off getting something newer like the rosetta, if buget allows. Also, the UV22 has been updated since the 1000, if that matters to you.

R
Old 4th August 2002
I don't have the need for the UV22, I guess...
If I'll track into PTLE at 24 bits... right?
Old 5th August 2002
Jeez I think we all thought you were gonna use it as a front end to make DATS....

Pro Tools.... HMMMMMMMMMm

You would want that to be 24 bit really, dont cha think?

Old 5th August 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Jeez I think we all thought you were gonna use it as a front end to make DATS....

Pro Tools.... HMMMMMMMMMm

You would want that to be 24 bit really, dont cha think?

If it's a real 20 bits, it won't matter. There aren't any converters pulling better the 20 bit over noise floor even now.

Now, whether or not it's giving you a real 20 bit noise floor is a different story (I bet it hits about 18...).
Old 5th August 2002
Lives for gear

Save for the PSX...the rosetta is under-featured (no wordclock)...the old 1000 must be run from DC (or a ext psu)...&s still is used by 'tapers'
Old 5th August 2002
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Humm, I guess I'll just practice my self-control a little bit more and save to get a rostta
You might want to take a look at the Lucid AD9624... it's a little less expensive, and IMNSHO, a bit better sounding. Unless you can get into something like an Apogee PSX-100 SE, I think you're going to be a little better off with the 9624... as always, YMMV.
Old 5th August 2002
Motown legend

Provided you use the upgraded PS-1000E power supply and leave the soft clipping turned off, I think the AD-1000 is still a seriously good sounding A to D converter that at least holds its own at 44.1k with anything Apogee has ever made. I'm still glad I never let them talk me into trading mine in.
Old 5th August 2002
The Rosetta has W/C out, and I really need this, 'cause I'll clock my 001 and my Korg 880 from the apogee...
The Lucid ones are good, I know that, but they don't spit W/C out...
Old 6th August 2002
Rock around the clock!

But guy's, don't be forgetting that word clock can travel down AES AND SPDIF connections...
Old 7th August 2002
Lives for gear

An 001 doesnt have word clock ins so you'd have to run WC thru the spidf or adat ins. So you might as well use the lucid to send WC to the 001 thru the spidf ins, since its cheaper and sounds better.
Old 8th August 2002
Hey guys, like I said before...
The rosetta puts WC out via SPDIF/AES/BNC at the same time...
So I can clock the 001 via spdif and the Korg 880 via BNC...
Do you guys get it?
I can get a brand new rosetta for $1k free shipping. If I get the Lucid I'll have to buy the Genx6 too, that makes $1100.
Do you think it worths?
Old 8th April 2010
It looks like this old unit sounds bit better then new 16x converters. Problem is in used materials I guess. What is user opinion?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search