The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steinberg mr816 help - adding pre's
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Steinberg mr816 help - adding pre's

I'm thinking about updating my maudio delta1010 to the mr816. I've been reading that you can't bypass the preamps on the mr? I've got a few mic pre's I use depending on the mic/vocalist so how would I get around this?

Also if anyone has anything good or bad to say about the MR816 please do. It seems like the perfect interface as I use Cubase 5 as my main daw, and like the idea of no latency whilst monitoring with fx.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

You can bypass the pre's on channels 1 and 2 with the inserts. You can't bypass the pre's on the other channels. So if you really have to bypass the pre's you can either do it two channels at a time (switching between your other preamps with a patchbay or something) or bring those other preamps into the MR816 via Lightpipe from some other AD device that outputs ADAT Lightpipe.
Old 11th November 2009
Deleted User
Just remember that those inserts are UNBALANCED

Channels 1 and 2 ONLY have the insert.

As was mentioned, going through the pres circuit doesnt put the "SUCK" on it.

I ran my Avalon 737sp into the Roland VS2480 pres and it was fine, this unit should def sound better

People make more of and issue out of this than needs to be. IF the pres on the unit were heavily colored or something I would understand. But,

your NOT going into a UA610 here, its a Yamaha pre circuit

Im not the least bit worried about it BTW. My MR816CSX will be here next week and Ill plug in the Avalon and it will be fine
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hey Shane

I got mine today. i read the directions and instead of using the CD for drivers, I downloaded the updated driver. I then followed the directions on installing the driver and on my first attempt, it fired up and I found it in Reaper.en't

As I began to listen to a song in progress, I noticed the the bottom to be clearer and more defined. I also found a bit more space on the sound stage. I came from an Audiofire 4 and the difference is immediately noticeable.

I haven't gotten to lay a track down yet but i suspect when I do, I will be further impressed.
Rob
Old 11th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
Hey Shane

I got mine today. i read the directions and instead of using the CD for drivers, I downloaded the updated driver. I then followed the directions on installing the driver and on my first attempt, it fired up and I found it in Reaper.en't

As I began to listen to a song in progress, I noticed the the bottom to be clearer and more defined. I also found a bit more space on the sound stage. I came from an Audiofire 4 and the difference is immediately noticeable.

I haven't gotten to lay a track down yet but i suspect when I do, I will be further impressed.
Rob

Cool
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

Mr816csx has...

cooled down some of my preamp lust and fired up my mic lust. The Yamaha pres are smooth, clean and flattering.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear