The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2 Daking Fet ii comps vs 1 Fet iii comp
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

2 Daking Fet ii comps vs 1 Fet iii comp

What do you think? which is the best choice? I've read that Fet ii has transformers, and iii has not. and I've noticed that Fet ii has auto release mode(33609 and Fairchild emu)and Fet iii has no letters on release panel.
And Fet iii is way cheaper than 2 Fet ii comps... I'm so confusing.
Of course I would do a lot of stereo works.. so plz help me to decide slutz!
thanks in advance
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Watch this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ompressor.html

Comments will be posted after some fellow gearslutz members have had a chance to compare both units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslneve View Post
What do you think? which is the best choice? I've read that Fet ii has transformers, and iii has not. and I've noticed that Fet ii has auto release mode(33609 and Fairchild emu)and Fet iii has no letters on release panel.
thanks in advance
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

FET III Release times

The FET III Release range is from .5, which is the fastest on the FET II, to Compex 760 Auto Release which is position 5 on the FET II. The .5 is a single time constant (level only) and the Auto has a dual time constant (level and time). The 760, 33609 and Fairchild 5 are similar. I like the 760 better because, well, just because.

The Fairchild 6 has triple time constants that can be very long:
6 = .3 seconds for individual peaks, 10 seconds for multiple peaks (like 5) and 25 seconds for consistently long program level. This was mostly used in broadcast applications.

Geoff
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslneve View Post
What do you think? which is the best choice? I've read that Fet ii has transformers, and iii has not................
thanks in advance

The FET II and FET III are very similar animals. Let me talk about the differences to help you choose.

Stereo: For the stereo buss, the FET III has some of advantages. Most limiters accomplish stereo linking with control voltages. This can be funky, so much so that no one even publishes a spec on the accuracy of their stereo linking. The FET III does this by audio summing so the stereo linking is dead on.

Continuously Variable Stereo Linking: This is what I call "the solution to a non-problem". Because we use audio summing for the stereo linking, it was easy to make it continuously variable. I really had no idea what this would be good for. Then, the first time I demoed the FET III I found it a great feature when used as a "ducker" I am sure you will find other uses that we never imagined.

High Pass Filters: The FET III has high pass filters in front of each peak detector. This allows you to tune out low frequencies that are modulating the higher program material while compressing. Besides bass content, imagine foot shuffling and air conditioning.

Regarding the cost savings with the FET III:

• Transformers. The upside to replacing the transformers, you save hundreds of $$$. There is little downside because transformers used at 1:1 don't bring much to the party like a mic transformer does at 8 or 10:1. Most studios will mount the FET III in the same room. If I was connecting to a compressor that was 1000' away, I would want a FET II with a transformer. The line input uses a balanced receiver that was designed by Bill Whitlock of Jensen Transformers. This is sophisticated stuff, not the crap of ten years ago.

• Pots vs Switches. It is much more expensive to to use switches for every function (like the FET II or 33609) than it is to use pots (like an LA-2A or 1176). Some will like the pots better because they allow infinite adjustment. Others will say that it is not as repeatable. There's a war you can't win.

• Metal. There is no significant difference in the cost of making a 2U enclosure over a 1U. If stainless is $1.50 a pound and the chassis of a FET III is 5lbs and a FET II is 3lbs, you do the math. The silkscreen costs the same etc. That makes the chassis cost of a FET III almost 1/2 of a pair of FET II's.

• Power supply. Only one. Once again, half the cost.

So you can see that the FET III is not just a cheesy version of the FET II. I has been designed to sound the same with a lower cost of manufacturing.

I hope this helps,
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear
Thanks for the detail Geoff. I wonder if it's possible to run a Fet III and a 91579 from the same PSU? The reason I ask is I have a 91579 without a PSU and I've been waiting for the oppertunity to buy a match for it. It might be a better solution to get a Fet III instead.

Daire
Old 26th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

Hear them compared here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ml#post4823462

War
Old 8th February 2015
Here for the gear

hi Geoff ... I just wanna ask u about the fet 3.im from middle east and in arabic music we dont like over compression but im searching for a master buss compressor and im thinking about the FET 3 and wanna use it at the same time for tracking & mastering...so is it gonna do the jub, and u know we cant demo it here bcz no dealers r arround...thxx
Old 9th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Fet iii

I think you will find the FET III will control your stereo buss well without sounding "over compressed" especially if you have a lot of low frequency because of the adjustable high pass filter in the side chain.

Who are the dealers your area?

Geoff
Old 30th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffdake View Post
The FET II and FET III are very similar animals. Let me talk about the differences to help you choose.

Stereo: For the stereo buss, the FET III has some of advantages. Most limiters accomplish stereo linking with control voltages. This can be funky, so much so that no one even publishes a spec on the accuracy of their stereo linking. The FET III does this by audio summing so the stereo linking is dead on...
can I just say I love reading posts by knowledgable and well spoken human beings? Thanks Geoff, great products btw thanks
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear