The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using a 4x12 as a mic? Stupid idea? Discuss.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Using a 4x12 as a mic? Stupid idea? Discuss.

Just had some thought the other day as I was pondering world domination.

A 4x12, in stereo, in front of a drum kit, interesting .

Maybe even more interesting, a 4x12 as a mic in-front of a 4x12 playing back guitar.

Discuss.

*edit* some pics and sounds (note: the cymbals in the pics arnt the ones on the sample, ones on the sample are the in house Sabian HHX Evolution 16'' and 18'' crashes, along with a HHX dry ride. My cymbals in the pics are Z mega bell ride, 19" A custom projection crash and 21" Sweet Ride as drummers right crash. Kept the in house K Custom Dark 13" hats on both.)

Download Marshall1960DrumRoom.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Last edited by fakiekid; 14th November 2009 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: my pics and sounds added.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

If that's the kind of frequency response you want...............
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

well i thought it would be exactly the same going out coming back in, but your adding the sound of the 412 again, i dunno, be interesting to try.

Has anyone done this?
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

takes 2 cables if you have the gear, try it ... i didnt like the sound when i was working on my world domination idea heh
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Well im never one to knock the idea of experimentation.

You really won't know until you try it.

In theory you could definitely use a 12" speaker as a mic in front of a drum kit, and you could even use a pair in stereo, but you're not going to be picking up very detailed sound across the frequency spectrum, and you're not going to be picking up any usable high-end whatsoever. It could however, maybe be used as a wild effect with the combination of some EQ and compression...

As for using a 4x12 cab as a guitar amp mic, for some reason i feel like that would just be a hot mess. A 12" speaker will NOT pick up the exact same sound as what is coming OUT of a 12" speaker.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b View Post
Well im never one to knock the idea of experimentation.

You really won't know until you try it.

In theory you could definitely use a 12" speaker as a mic in front of a drum kit, and you could even use a pair in stereo, but you're not going to be picking up very detailed sound across the frequency spectrum, and you're not going to be picking up any usable high-end whatsoever. It could however, maybe be used as a wild effect with the combination of some EQ and compression...

As for using a 4x12 cab as a guitar amp mic, for some reason i feel like that would just be a hot mess. A 12" speaker will NOT pick up the exact same sound as what is coming OUT of a 12" speaker.
well yes, i use a ns10 in front of the kick all the time, so i know what to expect there, but it could be interesting, like, to run in parallel with the kit. i dunno.

the more thought i put into the guitar idea i do agree, subby nothing! worth a try though!

Gonna have to make up some cables to try it though :(
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

What are you going to use for a mic clip?
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I've miked a bass cab with another bass cab before. As I recall it worked pretty well mixed with the d.i. signal.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Put your NS10 in front of a guitar cab and see how that sounds. I've been inspired to try that tomorrow, as well as in front of a bass cab! thanks!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'd like to hear the results if you wind up getting anything interesting with the 4x12 cab on drums...
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strewnshank View Post
Put your NS10 in front of a guitar cab and see how that sounds. I've been inspired to try that tomorrow, as well as in front of a bass cab! thanks!
Putt a SKRM-100 Subkick on your cab... check that out. I found some really nice tones with it.
Old 11th November 2009
oooh sucky plan.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
lol
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b View Post
I'd like to hear the results if you wind up getting anything interesting with the 4x12 cab on drums...
will definitely share!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strewnshank View Post
glad my thoughts have inspired somebody!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneoconnor View Post
oooh sucky plan.
lol maybe
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I will keep a camera ready when I try to convince the drummer to mic his snare with a 4x12"!!!!
Really, experiment and report back, I am all for it. I once built a mic from a broken Jecklin float headphone. Sounded gruesome, but just the ticket on some things. Also nice as a subkick.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

I have done this with 2 identical bass cabs facing one another - 1 as a mic, 1 as the cab. EXTREME SUB! which i had to filter heavily for it to be useable - but combined with a Sennheiser 606e for bite close to the speaker and a DI worked out well.

You can hear the results at -

Angry Vs The Bear on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos - it is how the bass was recorded on the song 'I AM ELECTRIC'. I recorded it DIY in our practice room and it was mixed by Simon Gogerly.

D
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I have a Roland Cube 60 that died on me, I am keeping the cab and speaker to be used as a subkick.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

hahahaha....you inspired me!! i will try micing M/S with 3x 4x12!!!!!!!
Old 11th November 2009

TRUE STORY

I was 11 years old when i purchased my first guitar from a pawn shop....lil fender ****ocaster.....bite me i hate them always will because of that guitar but i digress or regress...ok some progress

I got my chops to where i could hold a rythm and wanted to play some lead licks but didnt have someone to keep time for me so i devised a plan. one day i would buy a microphone and recorder of some sort and the fate of the world would be over...with me in command....remember i was 11.

so one day i had been playing along with my dual cassete tape dec although i knew it had a 1/8 input jack for a mic i hadnt the slightest clue where i could find one within my list of stores. but none the less i had been cranking that lil deck through my headphones so that i could keep the crunch in that lil 10" 10 watt combo.....it was my rig of the day....and home comes mom. i drop the head phones which unplugged and rush to help her do something only to return to my bedroom and began playing again that i realized i had dropped the headphones in front of the amp and stopped the tape that it somehow had powered the headphones when i plugged it in. I plugged it in the wrong hole....not the last time that happened either. i had audible guitar coming from my tape deck...suuuuwweeeat. so i found a blank tape and recorded my rythm track and then popped that in the play side and put another in the record side....im going with verbage and theory of the time...wow i was on to something then it hit me. the dub....i had a mixing device with which i could craft my songs....drums wouldve been hell but it was my first taste as a recording engineer.

so let me suggest using a pair of 4" tweeters in seperate boxes....just my thoughts on revisiting the speaker as a mic idea.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat1306 View Post
hahahaha....you inspired me!! i will try micing M/S with 3x 4x12!!!!!!!
haha! nice avatar btw!
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
I will keep a camera ready when I try to convince the drummer to mic his snare with a 4x12"!!!!
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

currently trying to make up some leads for this, need jack to male XLR's, got a session on Mon/Tue which i wanna try this on.

Will take pics and post results hopefully!
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakiekid View Post
currently trying to make up some leads for this, need jack to male XLR's, got a session on Mon/Tue which i wanna try this on.

Will take pics and post results hopefully!
Wishing you much luck on the session, and yes, photos plus samples would be sweet!

I still dont know about the guitar mic'ing thing, but i really do think you could theoretically get something usable for drums...especially if you have a breakdown/intro/outro part that could use a crazy drum effect...

thumbsupthumbsup
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
lol!!
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Witty and hysterical.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

YouTube - Caesars Rome: Album Recording: Studio Diary 1

37 seconds in, this guys using one!

Got my leads together, gonna try it out monday!
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Here we go, pics and sounds, I like it! Nothing special but it could be useful!

Download Marshall1960DrumRoom.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yup that's pretty much what i thought it would be. It def could be used as an effect. There's some real punchy low-mids in there. Might sound cool with a phaser/flanger sort of thing, or smashed down hard with a nice compressor and then layered in with some overheads and proper drum mics.

Nice studio btw! Is that your place? Commercial or private?

Good stuff, thanks for the upload. You get an A for effort!

thumbsupthumbsup
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear