The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is common practice for guitar tracking?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac
What is common practice for guitar tracking?

What Im referring to in particular is the room itself in which guitars are tracked.

I have seen ISO boxes, I have seen ISO booths and i've seen guitars recorded in open live rooms (where drums are also tracked)...Im no there isn't a necessarily a "right" or "wrong" I just want to know what is the most common practice and why?

I am building a live room currently in my garage and I want to make sure that a room of that size (20ft x 18.5 ft x 8ft) will allow me to get the right sounds. Typically I am tracking pretty aggressive distorted guitars (6505's, Triple Recs etc)...

I am still somewhat of a noob, I apologize for the noobish questions.

Thanks.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

That's a totally open ended question with lots of variables. I would recommend you start out by recording guitar in your live room, perhaps just recording the drums first and then adding guitars. Afterward, add the other tools should you deem them necessary.

As long as you keep your hears open at all times and not get to comfortable, I'm sure you'll make the right decision.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadroom View Post
What Im referring to in particular is the room itself in which guitars are tracked.

I have seen ISO boxes, I have seen ISO booths and i've seen guitars recorded in open live rooms (where drums are also tracked)...Im no there isn't a necessarily a "right" or "wrong" I just want to know what is the most common practice and why?

I am building a live room currently in my garage and I want to make sure that a room of that size (20ft x 18.5 ft x 8ft) will allow me to get the right sounds. Typically I am tracking pretty aggressive distorted guitars (6505's, Triple Recs etc)...

I am still somewhat of a noob, I apologize for the noobish questions.

Thanks.
Iso boxes always sound just like their name. You should be fine. I record in a small square room. Not ideal but I get some pretty ok tones. Try to get the cab up off the floor though. You don't want all that extra woof.

With close micing you can get most anything to work. http://www.netmusicians.org/files/48-mixneb.mp3 <--- my shitty box of a bedroom.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa4x12er View Post
With close micing you can get most anything to work. http://www.netmusicians.org/files/48-mixneb.mp3 <--- my shitty box of a bedroom.
Hee ! Not bad at all ! What's your config ? (mic / cab / amp)
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

The room doesnt matter too much for tracking electric guitars, unless you have a great room that you would actually want to capture with a distant mic.

Electric guitar and heavy guitars are mostly about close micing - where the room isnt captured. Some people place another mic a few feet back to capture the room sound but this isnt necessary or even typical for most heavy guitar recordings. It may be easier, more practical, and often sound better to add artificial ambiance (reverb) to the guitar track after recording. Also, most people arent recording in a great room so why bother micing it?

Seeing as though you are in your garage, just close mic.

You want a dry, in your face guitar sound, its basically a SM57 right on the cone of the 4x12, although I like to use a few different mics and blend them, they are all close mics.

Try a recording a few different amps, cabs and mics all at the same time, it can add a lot of depth to the sound.

Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
The room doesnt matter too much for tracking electric guitars

uh oh if the gs acoustics 'experts' see this it will be a blood bath....
kidding........

so true though

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
Seeing as though you are in your garage, just close mic.
throw a nice quilted moving blanket over it too
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear
If you track with live band, which means live drums (do you have a plastic drum shield?) and open guitar amps, with the bass to the board, or a small bass amp split out to a DI, lots of bleed occurs. You may want to just partly shield the guitar amps with foam/bass traps etc. Amps heat up, and a small iso box, even with ventilation, may do some amp damage - tube or SS. Also, some of that sweet guitar tone may come from the back of the amp, so tracking separately with 2 or more mics may get better tone. If you run a guide guitar track through something silent (Sansamp/Pod/etc.) to get the tone, you can always overdub later.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blues View Post
Hee ! Not bad at all ! What's your config ? (mic / cab / amp)
Thanks man! PRS Tremonti II > Framus Cobra > Mesa 4x12 > SM57
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac
you guys are awesome.

thanks for the quick responses.

I will (almost) never be recording a band live, so bleed from other instruments wont be an issue.

someone mentioned a movers blanket, i do have a few of those, how would I be able to use them?
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Yeah, I imagine you really don't need an isolation cab.
What's your full set up btw (Which exact amps, what cabs etc etc)?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear