The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vintage Shure and Electro Voice Mics
Old 10th November 2009
Vintage Shure and Electro Voice Mics

Here is a link to a recent thread that some of you may have seen.

A Shure 545 story.... and can someone put a rough date on them?

It discusses some of the predecessors to the Sm57/58 school of mics and I wonder if anyone could tell me which were the most interesting/useful mics that Electro Voice (supposedly Shure's main rival) put out in that same era of the late 50s thru to late 70s.

I think I just caught an insidious vintage bug.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict
I have a couple of old EV mics. RE10s and RE15. The one RE10 I use is beat to all hell, corroded, had the plastic vents coming off of it, doesnt look like it has worked in YEARS, but when I slapped it on distorted guitars, I dug it.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

i use a re15 a lot. in studio (guitar, male vox, brass, percs...) and live (vox, brass)
its just great, has its own sound, a nice HPF, i'd love to have a few more!
I use it more than my re20. it took me a while to realise how great the re15 is.
Anyone know of a modern equivalent?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

I have used the RE11 on guitar rigs.....wow, if you are on low budget and have no preamp the RE11 can really make a guitar amp come alive w/o having to dial in the sweet spot.
I have 3 or 4 and love em.
Old 12th November 2009
Les
Lives for gear

Hi again.

The first thing that comes to mind is the Electro Voice 664. Both it and the 545/57 were designed as PA mics.

Electro-Voice Model 664

I remember as a kid seeing 664s basically EVERYWHERE. It's a funny looking contraption and an unusual design departure . It used a resistance controlled diaphragm with multiple spaced ports in the rear and side. This was called "variable d" and had much less proximity effect.

While Shure had the likes of Ben Bauer and Ernie Seeler, EV had Alpha Wiggins.
Texas Tech University :: Whitacre College of Engineering :: Alumni :: Distinguished Engineer Citations

With a first name like Alpha, I guess your stuff has to be good!

So Grab some 664s if you're getting that collector bug.

There were others...635 (every news reporter on the planet spoke through one) and the REs....but 664 is a good start. Might have been the most popular PA mic in history.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

don't forget about the ev666!
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Christ View Post

i also love the re-15. it gets TONS of use on my projects...usually guitars and vocals. sounds cool on hi hats too.

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

Yup.... One evil mic, dude...

Mrten
Old 12th November 2009
Les
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah! It's used in the PA system in hell for announcements..."attention hell residents: complimentary pints of straight tabasco sauce are being served at the hell bar during unhappy hour"...

666 is similar to 664, but has much better LF response and no presence peak at least in the specs. Really flat on axis response, but that's only part of what determines a mics sound.

I haven't messed with them, but would like to. Sick looking.Good kick mic?
Old 12th November 2009
500 series nutjob

Re-10s and RE-15s are always favorites of mine on many thing, guitar amps being at the top of the pile: )~
the RE-11 and the RE-16s will offer a bit more on top.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey77 View Post
Here is a link to a recent thread that some of you may have seen.

A Shure 545 story.... and can someone put a rough date on them?

It discusses some of the predecessors to the Sm57/58 school of mics and I wonder if anyone could tell me which were the most interesting/useful mics that Electro Voice (supposedly Shure's main rival) put out in that same era of the late 50s thru to late 70s.

I think I just caught an insidious vintage bug.
the stuff is cool indeed , you know its been cool before and can easly be cool again . with a little elbow butter

this is one Im slowly working on as I had problems finding someone to black
crome it
that and plan to add a ribbon motor to it

Vintage Shure and Electro Voice Mics-picture-020.jpg

my fav as far EVs go
Electro-Voice Model 726 "Cardyne I" Microphone
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I love the Re-15 on guitar amps! They have a clear forward midrange, less proximity effect, and without the fizz on the top you get from a 57.
I have two of them. One stinks like old cigarettes and sounds just a little better than the other (non smelly one) on a guitar amp.
Old 12th November 2009
Les
Lives for gear

Still have the capsule? The 726 was an unusual one...."Mechanophase".

Had an extra passive radiator (really absorber) mechanical diaphragm in the phase shift network.

Wild!
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

I really love the RE15 and the 635A. I want to add more old REs...
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I have a Electro-Voice V-2 ribbon.
Looks cool but needs service.
Well, I bought it cheap for the cool look.
Would be nice to make it work properly some day.
ItΒ΄s Hi Z so it needs a Shure A95UF.
Have a look here:
http://www.coutant.org/v1a/index.html

/M
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I really love the RE15 and the 635A. I want to add more old REs...
Yeah, me too. They're really great mics that are all but forgotten.

Another of my favorites is the old EV 666. GREAT mic for "scratch vocal" with lots of instruments in the room with it. Not only does it reject an insane amount of bleed if the vocalist works it nice and close (like "eating" it), but the leakage you DO get will usually "play nice" with the other sources. And it will even take screaming loud stuff (even when its practically swallowed by a loud screamer!).
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

re 15's are great

i just bought a 666
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Still have the capsule? The 726 was an unusual one...."Mechanophase".

Had an extra passive radiator (really absorber) mechanical diaphragm in the phase shift network.

Wild!
indeed I do and yes its very odd
Old 12th November 2009

Be careful you don't scramble the numbers and instead of getting a 664 (close to useless) you get a 644 (makes the 664 seem absolutely wonderful in comparison). The 644 is probably the most useless microphone I've ever encountered.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Shure and Electro Voice Mics-644.jpg  
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Be careful you don't scramble the numbers and instead of getting a 664 (IMO close to useless) you get a 644 (IMO makes the 664 seem absolutely wonderful in comparison). The 644 is probably the most useless piece of gear I have ever owned.....and I have owned some real losers over the years.
In a studio recording situation or live sound re-enforcement for a band (where close-mic'ing is visually acceptable), yeah...

...But I used to use them in a theatrical situation in the days when wireless was cost-prohibitive in many cases. They were one of the few dynamic (and affordable) shotguns that were really useful for such.

They can still be useful as room mics if used in X/Y configuration in a very large room (about 15-20 feet way from the kit, and aimed away from the kit, favoring the ceiling).

The way I use 'em is kinda the opposite of the way folks bugger up LDCs with nasty compressors for drum ambiance; in other words, use a dirty mic and put something like a Aphex Dominator on 'em, and pull 'em into the mix to taste (instead of a clean mic into a dirty compressor).

Bear in mind that they will sound like crap by themselves in this application! (But then again, so do a pair of U87s through a Shure Level-Loc).
Old 13th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
In a studio recording situation or live sound re-enforcement for a band (where close-mic'ing is visually acceptable), yeah...

...But I used to use them in a theatrical situation in the days when wireless was cost-prohibitive in many cases. They were one of the few dynamic shotguns that were really useful for such.

They can still be useful as room mics if used in X/Y configuration in a very large room (about 15-20 feet way from the kit, and aimed away from the kit, favoring the ceiling).

The way I use 'em is kinda the opposite of the way folks bugger up LDCs with nasty compressors for drum ambiance; in other words, use a dirty mic and put something like a Aphex Dominator on 'em, and pull 'em into the mix to taste (instead of a clean mic into a dirty compressor).

Bear in mind that they will sound like crap by themselves in this application! (But then, so do a pair of U87s through a Shure Level-Loc).
Well I'll be damned, somebody actually has figured out a use for them!
The best thing I ever used them for was a conversation starter,,,,,you know where the client says "What the hell is that? Why would you have an obstetrics tool in a recording studio?"
"You're not going to use that on me , are you"
"Alien and anal probes" were often topics it inspired also .
That kind of conversation
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Well I'll be damned, somebody actually has figured out a use for them!
The best thing I ever used them for was a conversation starter,,,,,you know where the client says "What the hell is that? Why would you have an obstetrics tool in a recording studio?"
"You're not going to use that on me , are you"
"Alien and anal probes" were often topics it inspired also .
That kind of conversation
Well then, I guess you (and your friends) are now ready for THIS!

Old 13th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Well then, I guess you (and your friends) are now ready for THIS!

OMG! The Fleetwood Mac story almost put me off my feed!
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
OMG! The Fleetwood Mac story almost put me off my feed!
Yeah...I KNEW you'd be SURPRISED!

Old 13th November 2009
Thanks everyone .... plenty of medicine for my bug.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear