The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording studio insurance canada
Old 10th November 2009
Recording studio insurance canada

Ive tried callin Clarion, and music Pro, but they said they only deal with US clients. Does anyone know of a good insurance company in Canada that deals with studio equipment? Thanks
Old 11th November 2009
Old 11th November 2009
Here for the gear

bookmarked and b back l8er,i need more info, :-)
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

I use the gear insurance available to AFofM members. Good insurance, but not super cheap.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

i use these guys
The CG&B Group Inc. - Business Insurance — Media

i should say that i migrated over because i had been using them for video and photo shoots and still do on occasion. i haven't had to file a claim yet so i can't speak to the service but they seem OK.

i'm sure there are much cheaper ways to go but for my needs i need liability insurance and a bunch of things for shoots that you may not need.

worth giving them a call.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Why does it have to be a "recording studio insurance" company? It's just a business and it's just business equipment. You can get insurance from pretty much any business insurance provider. It's no different than getting insurance for a tv studio or any other similar business. Insurance companies don't generally care what the industry is as long as they can do the actuarial calculations and set a viable rate. Everything is insurable, but sometimes it just costs to much to insure.

The thing they don't like about studios is that "unknown" people are in the building all the time. We get the same thing and pay more as a design studio because we allow clients on premises. I guess they think this allows them to case the joint or maybe accidentally set a fire.

Companies that "specialize" in studios are still underwritten by the companies that underwrite every other kind of insurance, and the underwriters get to set the rules and base rates.
Old 31st July 2012
I've been with FrontRow insurance for their studio policy for the last year.
I haven't had to file a claim, so can't comment on that, but they're easy to reach though (unlike the stories I hear of MusicPro)
I do have some frustrations with what they offer (new exclusions about rap performers, etc and won't cover anything in your studio that isn't gear or instruments it seems.. need to double up on a different policy if you want your video camera or a nice lamp covered lol)
http://www.frontrowinsurance.com/music/

There is also Shephard Ashmore.. gonna see how they compare Insurance Recording Studios, Recording Studio Insurance, Insurance for Recording Studios | savinsurance.ca
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Any other choices / opinions about these companies? What is a good price for maybe 40 000$ - 50 000$ of covering?
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Please give Asgar Pederson in Toronto a call I use them for my studio and all of my instruments 416-264-329-5223. You will either have Wawanesa or ING. I have strong reservations of using the musicians union.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Why does it have to be a "recording studio insurance" company? It's just a business and it's just business equipment. You can get insurance from pretty much any business insurance provider. It's no different than getting insurance for a tv studio or any other similar business. Insurance companies don't generally care what the industry is as long as they can do the actuarial calculations and set a viable rate. Everything is insurable, but sometimes it just costs to much to insure.

The thing they don't like about studios is that "unknown" people are in the building all the time. We get the same thing and pay more as a design studio because we allow clients on premises. I guess they think this allows them to case the joint or maybe accidentally set a fire.

Companies that "specialize" in studios are still underwritten by the companies that underwrite every other kind of insurance, and the underwriters get to set the rules and base rates.
This! Just visit your local insurance agent and ask for a quote... a business insurance policy is a business insurance policy! The underwritering will determine actual replacement cost and liability. But most could give you a reasonable quote. I would believe that insurance companies advertising as a specialty is pretty much an over-charge rip off. And there are LOTS of them out there in all fields of business.
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear

How much do you guys pay for insurance? I got some quotes for equipments that needs to be insured "on the road" sometimes and it is extremely expensive. I will probably need to insure just parts of my gear wish is not ideal....
Old 2nd December 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyOhara View Post
This! Just visit your local insurance agent and ask for a quote... a business insurance policy is a business insurance policy! The underwritering will determine actual replacement cost and liability. But most could give you a reasonable quote. I would believe that insurance companies advertising as a specialty is pretty much an over-charge rip off. And there are LOTS of them out there in all fields of business.
I tried asking State Farm and they said they would not insure a studio because of risk of Copy Written material being used. This seems very odd to me
Old 3rd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Orion View Post
I tried asking State Farm and they said they would not insure a studio because of risk of Copy Written material being used. This seems very odd to me
Are you looking for business insurance, or commercial insurance? Business insurance would be insurance for your business - interruption of business, legal liability, litigation, errors and omissions, other intangible loss, etc. That's where copywritten material might come into play. You write a song that is inadvertently derivative of prior art and get sued. But you already gave all that royalty money to charity, or on hookers and blow. So you have insurance against being sued, but there is no typical cap on amounts - damages would be based on the commercial performance of the song. So insurance companies might not underwrite such protection.

(But any of that stuff can be written in as an exclusion.)

If you just want to insure your fixed assets - the gear and the facility, that's essentially just property insurance. If it's for commercial use, then the actuaries factor its typical use case.
Old 3rd December 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Are you looking for business insurance, or commercial insurance? Business insurance would be insurance for your business - interruption of business, legal liability, litigation, errors and omissions, other intangible loss, etc. That's where copywritten material might come into play. You write a song that is inadvertently derivative of prior art and get sued. But you already gave all that royalty money to charity, or on hookers and blow. So you have insurance against being sued, but there is no typical cap on amounts - damages would be based on the commercial performance of the song. So insurance companies might not underwrite such protection.

(But any of that stuff can be written in as an exclusion.)

If you just want to insure your fixed assets - the gear and the facility, that's essentially just property insurance. If it's for commercial use, then the actuaries factor its typical use case.
I asked them for property insurance since I am required by the landlord to have this, and they declined me due to risk of copy written material being used lol. How does that have to do with anything involving the property and equipment. Wouldn't every studio have this risk?
Old 3rd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Orion View Post
I asked them for property insurance since I am required by the landlord to have this, and they declined me due to risk of copy written material being used lol. How does that have to do with anything involving the property and equipment. Wouldn't every studio have this risk?
Well, to be perfectly honest, I use to use State Farm in the 70's... over the years and I guess as they grew... they become just another advertisement insurance ripoff like Geico. I don't even waste my time with companies like them. I really don't like giving personal recommendations of this kind, but I will say... if there is a company that doesn't rely on ripping abundant new customers off from herding them in from advertisements, I'd check them out! A hint... if you see their ads on nearly every TV channel... "red flag"! I personally use Erie for my personal insurance. But not sure how they are outside my community in NC. But I know they do not rely on advertisement baloney!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear