The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cables and Headphones
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Nut

Cables and Headphones

My brief relationship with sound recording has given me the impression that cables and headphones are some of the least reviewed items around for the home-project end of the spectrum at least.

What cables do you all use for linking all your gear?

I currently have 3 pairs of headphones that i use. My favourites by far are the new K271S from AKG, their response is almost as good as my HD590 but the bass is a little lacking. The overwhelming factor about them for me is their comfort though. I can do a 2 hour session in my DT100s and be begging for forgiveness, they exert a great deal of pressure on the ears and i find them quite uncomfortable th wear also. The 271s even when really pumping don't exert any uncomfortable pressure on my ears at all and although i'm a lot more aware of them then with my 590s you can still wear them for hours on end. They also have great attenuation of external sounds and leak less than the DT100s imho.

Do any of you have any recommendations for cables and headphones, i hope my comments were helpful, its been raining all day :(

Neil.
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Addict

Cables? I use a mix of Canare (4S8, 4S11, L4CFB) and Mogami (2549 and 3160). There's no reason I don't use all one or the other. They're both constructed well, they're durable, fairly inexpensive and sound good. There's better cable out there, but more expensive. I personally don't think they're worth the added cost.

For headphones, I use AKG 240M's and 240S's. I use them because I'm familiar with them and I can work with them. I still try out new headphones whenever I can, though.
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Maniac

There are a lot of great cable manufacturers out there. Personally I use Monster Cable Studio Pro 1000 series cables (For obvious reasonsheh ) There's no real "voodoo" involved in cables, the cables I mentioned are just great quality, durable, and thick gauge for maximal signal transfer and to minimize high end loss in long cable runs.
Old 18th May 2003
One with big hooves

Because neither one is a sexy piece of gear. Most people don't buy raw cable for a home studio and that's what the mag reviews are aimed at (for the most part). I've bought raw Canare, Beldon and ProCo. It doesn't matter much as long as it's decent cable and has a braided shield. If it's only 15 cents a foot I'd probably avoid it like the plauge.

For headphones I have a half dozen sets of AudioTechnica ATH-M40 and D40's. Fucking great headphones. Durable, loud, they won't fall off a drummers head, they sound decent and they're about $80-100 a pop. The only complaint I have is that the 1/4" TRS plug they use is really crappy. When it breaks (and it eventually will) put a Switchcraft or Neutrik on there and you'll be stylin' for a long time. My few pairs of Fostex T-20's haven't faired so well in the heat of battle. They fall off peoples heads if they move around a lot and the plastic clip that holds the earpiece on always breaks if you look at them funny.
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

I second the AT's. We have 7506's and 270's and everybody prefers the AT's. I need more, in fact.
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

Sonys are good.
I have also been liking the Sennheiser HD280 seal much better than the Sonys....I may like the Sony's sound a bit better though
Old 21st May 2003
Gear Head

Ultrasone HFI 650

Check out this new headphone too.
It sounds good to me, compared it with the mighty Sennheiser HD600 and I quickly want to go back to the Ultrasone.

Listening thru a good headphone amp, helps a lot too!

Check out this site for headphone fans:

Head-fi
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear