The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I Need Help with Midi Notes in Protools
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I Need Help with Midi Notes in Protools

Hi All, I am trying to trigger a light show from Pro Tools. The scenario I am trying to solve is "Send Midi Note 12 Out Midi Channel 9 with a Velocity of 127". I can do the last two parts, but how do you set a Midi Note from 1 to 127. When I look at the notes view in the midi track, the midi instrument scale to the left does not go from 1 to 127 and the corresponding note at the top in the midi window if I pencil in a not is in music notation (C#, Fb etc...)

Any help is greatly appreciated. First one to help and wants to IM me an address will get a present.
Old 10th November 2009
Vum
Lives for gear

I believe the note would be C1 or C2. Probably C2.

MIDI Note Frequency
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks, this looks like a step in the right direction, so according to the chart C0 would be midi note 0 and C1 would be midi note 12? Or does Protools start midi note 0 at C1? In Protools the midi scale only goes to G8 so I could only write up to midi note 91? Am I reading the chart on the link correctly? C0 to B0 is 1-11, C1-B1 is 12-23, C2-B2 is 24-35, C3-B3 is 37-47 etc... Argh, would be nice to be able to convert that protools scale to midi notes or have a conversion chart Protools Midi Staff to Midi Note.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Looks like the answer I am looking for is on the site you posted, but a different page and I think you have to transpose the table y axis because the Protools octave scale defaults to -2 to 8 rather than -1 to 9.

MIDI Note Numbers

Looks like Midi Note 0 is Protools Note C-2. That would put midi note 12 as C-1 The scale in Protools goes to G8 so that gets you all 127 notes. I'll test the triggering now.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear