The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lynx Aurora Question
Old 10th November 2009
Lynx Aurora Question

pardon me if this is dumb. I'm coming from a MOTU 8pre and thinking about upgrading to a Lynx and getting some nice pre-amps.

BUT, how would i get the monitoring outputs from a unit like that?

my motu just has main outs and such that i route to my mixer to monitors. How do i do this with the Lynx Aurora? or do i just have to get another card for my PC?

-Ian
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

The Lynx would just route the audio out of any two outputs, but there is no master volume control or anything on the front panel. You may decide to introduce a monitor controller into the setup, something like the Sampson C Control, PreSonus Central Station, Mackie Big Knob, etc...
Old 10th November 2009
The Lynx Aurora is just an A/D and D/A converter. You will need external preamps and a monitor control such as the SPL 2Control. To interface with the computer you need a PCI or PCIe AES/EBU card such as the Lynx AES16. Otherwise you can can FW if you don't have PCI/PCIe slots available using the LT-FW option card from Lynx.

Generally how you want to set this up is routing D/A outputs 1&2 to your monitor control. In the software you set your master fader (or master aux or whatever you setup) to outputs 1&2.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
The Lynx would just route the audio out of any two outputs, but there is no master volume control or anything on the front panel. You may decide to introduce a monitor controller into the setup, something like the Sampson C Control, PreSonus Central Station, Mackie Big Knob, etc...

What he said...

Old 10th November 2009
ok, thanks! so this is making more sense.

ok so, with the Aurora, i install the PCI card (can do) and connect the Aurora to it. Bot it.

Then in Sonar (thats what i use) route the main outs to outputs 1&2 (or whatever i want) from the Aurora. Then run the outputs 1&2 into some sort of monitor controller. and controller the volume from that. Awesome. Makes sense.

Question though. With Pre-amps like John Hardy M-1 and Daking IV, how do i connect those to the Aurora? does the Aurora have 1/4in or XLR inputs on the back? or...?

maybe im over my head? hahah

-Ian
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

The Lynx Aurora has a built in software mixer that you can use to control your monitor volume, or you can use your DAW. If you use Cubase it has an excellent 'special' Studio Mixer that you can use to drive multiple headphones, multiple monitors, connect a CD player,...

Having an external monitor controller with a volume control and switches for inouts and outputs is extrememly convenient but not absolutely necessary.

Inputs and Outputs on the Aurora are DB25s. You can get breakout cables that are DB25 to male/female XLR or 1/4" TRS, or have ones custom made by Redco to be whatever you want, for exmaple a mix of XLRs and TRS.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

What might be the main difference between using the firewire card VS the AES/EBU card?

Is the PCI card better for latency?

Old 24th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
What might be the main difference between using the firewire card VS the AES/EBU card?

Is the PCI card better for latency?

PCI or PCIe is far more stable than FW and allows for higher track counts at higher sample rates due to the massive bandwidth of the PCI and/or PCIe bus architecture.

FW is a fine solution for those people not looking to record at high sample rates, use tons of i/o at one time and/or don't have a computer that allows for PCI/PCIe cards (i.e. laptops, iMacs OR when you need to go mobile).
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post

Yeah, M-patch 2 here - makes life alot easier, its passive too.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear