The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sting Album - "If on a winter's night"
Old 10th November 2009
New Sting Album - "If on a winter's night"

Just seeing what the slutz verdict on Sting's new album (production wise) is?

On first listen I found the vocals almost uncomfortably loud in the mix, but once listening in headphones they felt about right.

I really like the detail and tasteful production ideas on the album, the low end is really impressive. I have noticed a few minor pitching issues with the vox on a few notes, but they can be forgiven with the rootsy feel of the album, and in favour of keeping pitch correction software out of the equation.

Does anyone have any info on the tracking and mixing of the album?
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I find the vocal sound more pleasant than often before on sting's albums. I wonder if they're using Sony C 800g or maybe even U 67 or something from that direction.

I like the album. It grows on you. Even if the "classical" vocal technique of Sting is pretty strange at times

I love the soft sounds of the handdrums and the nylon stringed instruments (guitars, lutes ??) .

Kalli
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Well produced, for sure, silky sounds, airy arrangements, smooth low end, but… is production only taking care of sound ?

What about the global mood of this album ???

After I listened to these "sad celtic folk chants / classical requiems", I thought : "Is a rope sold with it ? I have to hang myself !!!"

I don't like to say that, I'm a big fan of Sting…
Old 22nd November 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

Vocal is too loud, IMO. However, the album is about Sting, not the music, and this balance is intentional.

His performances are dreadful - but this is not where his abilities lie. It reminds me of Barbara Streisand's ham-fisted "Classical Barbara."

Kudos to him for taking a shot however. I respect that he takes chances and is pushing his comfort zone.
Old 22nd November 2009
Horrible.... Could not get to the music over the vocals. I am a bug Sting fan but this was by far media (star bucks) crap. The voice sounds like he is stretching to achieve something, but it is utter CRAP....

Would have taken it back if I could. Right now though it has become a instant coaster on the studio client table.

CRAP!!!!!

Doc
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

Now coming to a Starbucks near you...
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm a huge Sting fan.

I think the clue to understanding this album is in the title.

"If on a winters night .... you are sat bored in one of your seven homes and it's cold and dark outside, invite a few mates around drink a little too much wine turn on ProTools and record whatever crap comes out, retire to bed for tantric sex, yoga, or just coating yourself with natural yogurt and then stick the result out on a Classical Label instead of A&M records"

Next marketing ....

1. Release at Winter Time (Xmas) that's a given.
2. Grow a beard
3. Dye said beard.
4. Shave beard

I played it once, as I'm a fan. Once was enough for me.

Sigh.

TMY
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear
Meh-Teh
The Abominable Snowman.

Whats happened to his delivery-diction... he seems to slur everything out
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

Surprised on commentary so far

Check on the youtube:

YouTube - Sting - If On A Winter's Night

I dig the Winter vs. just Xmas theme. After watching the video I got the dog breed book out and bought, "Living with Sheep."

I like the stretching you're talking about, the folk stuff is cool and I'm not a folk guy usually. Celtic commentary on the video is interesting. I'll check on the DVD too next week. When I listen, I'm hearing cold temps where I used to live, timeless feel.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Big Sting fan here. Heard the samples, like a 1/3 of it maybe, won't be buying it. Didn't buy the last one either. Not a huge fan of the direction he's been going lately. Still a big fan, just not as enthused by his recent offerings. - paul
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

pretentious.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

I dunno, might be just the thing to give the mum for a Christmas gift... since Ed Ames has retired and all.

Amazon.com: Christmas With Ed Ames [Vinyl LP] [Stereo]: Ed Ames: Music
Old 22nd November 2009
I think it's a neat idea. It's because of this demanding the same only from artist's songs is how Nickelback came to be. Heard one Nickelback song you've heard them all. Sting fortunately is in a position to explore his creativity. Can it be compared to Roxanne or Englishman in New york? But more importantly can Roxanne be compared to Englishman in New York? Ok Celtic style folk songs have never been my cup of tea, but I can be open to them. It's amazing how being an engineer has completely changed that.

Yes I think it will sell tons of copies for christmas, is that such a bad move? I do think the grow a beard, dye a beard, shave a beard comment is hilarious.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

smug adj. smug·ger, smug·gest
Exhibiting or feeling great or offensive satisfaction with oneself or with one's situation; self-righteously complacent, Sting.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

No, the question is not about difference with previous songs from Sting, for me, it's :

- bad feeling voice texture
- too much sadness in all the melodies

…that's all, but too much for me…
Old 23rd November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedohr View Post
I find the vocal sound more pleasant than often before on sting's albums. I wonder if they're using Sony C 800g or maybe even U 67 or something from that direction.

I like the album. It grows on you. Even if the "classical" vocal technique of Sting is pretty strange at times

I love the soft sounds of the handdrums and the nylon stringed instruments (guitars, lutes ??) .

Kalli
Hi,

He used a Blue Bottle.

Peace
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricc View Post
Hi,

He used a Blue Bottle.

Peace
Half the problem IMHO.

TMY
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
I am a bug Sting fan

Doc
I hate being stung by bugs.

Either way the fact that Joe Strummer is dead yet Sting continues to release records is incontrovertible proof that god does not exist.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
I hate being stung by bugs.

Either way the fact that Joe Strummer is dead yet Sting continues to release records is incontrovertible proof that god does not exist.
LOL

No it's just proof that Yoga and earning $1,000,000 a month are good for the mind, body and soul.

That'll sustain him your many more years, think of all those album he still got in him heh

TMY
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Admittedly it could also be 'proof' that god exists but does not want Stings soul anywhere near him.
Old 23rd November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
Admittedly it could also be 'proof' that god exists but does not want Stings soul anywhere near him.
Wow - you used "Sting" and "soul" in the same sentence! Don't see THAT often...
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBasement View Post
Wow - you used "Sting" and "soul" in the same sentence! Don't see THAT often...
Another one; Soul Cages by Sting.

Thanks Cedric C for the Blue Bottle info.

The CD isn't getting much love here in the engineer society!

I hated it first, especially after I saw the youtube trailer. I mean, how do you spell pretentious ? But after a couple of spins, I started to like it more and more.

I love a renaissance drama ("o, let me freeze again", "o, let me die for true love" that kind of stuff. Over the top sadness. It's great.

And I like the sound. Elegant arrangements and quality recordings.

Kalli
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

DVD

I picked up the DVD today, it's pretty cool. Nice instrumentation, courtesy shot of some API gear near the start of the vid. Mic looked like classic LDC, will have to look closer.
Old 11th December 2011
Lives for gear

Cedricc!

Thank's for that! Where did you find that out? Anybody know anymore info on the technical/equipment elements of the recording process/mixing, etc.

Thanks!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear