The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Otari Concept 1/Concept Elite hovernet cable
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

Otari Concept 1/Concept Elite hovernet cable

Hi! We have a 32 channel Otari Concept Elite in our studio. Bought it used but it was in a pretty good shape (needed to change some faders). One thing we have a problem with though, is the cable between the console and the computer (hovernet). We want to put the computer in the machine room, but we can't get a longer cable (ieee 1284, old printer cable) to work. The strange thing is that we got a long (about 10 meters) cable with the console when we bought it, and it worked for awhile, but was in a pretty bad shape, and broke when we ran it through the wall between control room and machine room.

Anyone that uses a Concept console have any experience with a longer (working) cable? Hate to have a noisy computer in the control room.

Thanks
/k
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'd get your continuity meter out and check both your old cable and the new one to see how they are wired. Any wires tied together or just omited? If they are both just thru wired with all pins going to the other end's matching pins then it probably boils down to the quality of the cable and shielding since the old cable worked at a long length.
Old 10th November 2009
you need a db25 straight thru cable, I have a 10' long cable I use with my concept. My computer isn't very noisy surprisingly, so I haven't moved it out of the room
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

We have a 10' db25 cable now, and it works perfectly, but ideal would be to be able to put the computer in the machine room. Would love to get a better quality cable (if ones avalable) but I don't really feel like spending lots of money when I'm not sure if it will work. The computer isn't THAT noisy, but we would love to get it into the machine room

Thanks.
/k
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

In case you haven't found a solution yet, you can get these cables all over the Internet. I usually use monoprice.com for stuff like this, and it looks like they sell a 50ft long with varying versions. Parallel Print Cable

I'd be interested to see if it worked. Obviously printers have no problem driving a signal through 50ft of cable but who knows about Hovernet.
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

Hey guys, bumping this thread for another reason, our Hovernet host computer is about to go to heaven so I need to know what would be a good replacement config. Being an Apple head, I'm not too savvy about the myriad PC options out there. Thanks.
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

Look for a used Abit KT7A motherboard on ebay. It's one of the last good motherboards to have an ISA slot which is what the Hovernet board uses. Just build a generic computer around that.
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Look for a used Abit KT7A motherboard on ebay. It's one of the last good motherboards to have an ISA slot which is what the Hovernet board uses. Just build a generic computer around that.
Ok txs, with regular IDE drives? What about software? I've read windows 98 is supported with Eagle Automation? Any other tips?
Old 28th December 2011
BTW for C1 users, I just upgraded my automation to Eagle, so I will, in the not too distant future, have 486 PC's that came with the C1, both have hovernet cards and both have new batteries and the NOVram chips have been updated.
If you're interested let me know.
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Found this: Otari Concept 1/Concept Elite hovernet cableAbit KT7A Motherboard 800MHZ AMD Duron CPU 98MB Ram Complete 1 ISA Slot | eBay

Looks like a good option fairly recent & fast. I would have to fit a floppy disk reader for the install disks, that shouldnt be a problem, right?
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

That one you have linked seems pretty expensive. With a little looking around you should be able to find a much better on price on that board, put a faster CPU in it and more ram. Just download the manual and you will find what it takes. You may find one that already has the faster CPU's, full ram, and a decent heatsink/fan to boot super cheap (don't forget to look at ebay's completed auctions for current prices). As far as the floppy, just add one. You will have a flat data cable to the motherboard and a mini molex type power connector to the power supply (all the older power supplies had the connectors). You will use an IDE drive and it doesn't have to be big (check Win 98 limits) though if you are running the Eagle automation you might be able to run Win XP with a DOS window (check with Otari Guru Soren on that). IDE drives use a 80 pin flat cable to the motherboard and a molex connector to the Power Supply. If you are not familar with putting a PC box together it's not that much work, just find a buddy who has done it before and it will go fast. Get a medium sized PC case though as the Hovernet card that will go in the ISA slot (at the bottom of the computer) is VERY long and won't fit in some cases (measure your card so you get a big enough case with clearance on the bottom). If you have more questions after you read the motherboard manual PM me the specifics or if it's going to be a lot of typing, your phone number and best times to reach you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search