The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
do near field monitors travel through walls more?
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

do near field monitors travel through walls more?

i live in a residential apartment and mix in my bedroom. i have a project 2 roominator kit from auralex on the walls and a pair of KRK V6 monitors.

what is strange is that i get noise complaints whenever i use the monitors, even at a fairly low volume. however when i play music through my bose hi fi speaker system (with subwoofer) at equal volume, even louder volume, i do not get complaints.

the complaints all come from the tenant who lives directly above me so this is a ceiling issue, my roomates dont mind.

do the moinitors travel differently than the hi fis?n does this make sense? like i said, monitors at low volume get complaints while bose speakers at high volume done.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Your monitors probably couple with the construction in such a way that even low volumes travel straight up. Try decoupling them from the surface they are standing on. The kind of heavy duty rubber they use to kill vibrations from industrial machinery works wonders for this.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

if that doesn't work (isolation pads) hang them from the cieling with rope.

but there is another consideration, as more pure the sound is, the more tendency it will have to travel through solid objects. and conduct with the solid objects and cause sympathetic resonance.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Are you sure you're not playing them louder? Bose hifis (especially the sub/sat ones) tend to sound much louder than they really are because they're really having to work to push the sound out.

Your KRKs on the other hand will be able to play louder without working as hard, and hence will actually 'sound' quieter...

+1 for the isolation pads. I'm in student halls, and don't get any complaints about my A7s...
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

already have isolation pads.

you're saying add those rubber pads underneath as well?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
if that doesn't work (isolation pads) hang them from the cieling with rope.

but there is another consideration, as more pure the sound is, the more tendency it will have to travel through solid objects. and conduct with the solid objects and cause sympathetic resonance.
You're kidding, right?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeren View Post
You're kidding, right?
But make sure to use high-end Audio Rope.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear