The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA hardware - Good or bad?
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Nut

I like my LA-610 and UA Software plug-ins. The only complain I have is the prices, but it's worth it if you can afford it.
Old 15th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by clank72 View Post
I like my LA-610 and UA Software plug-ins. The only complain I have is the prices, but it's worth it if you can afford it.
Are the prices high? I don't think so at all, maybe I'm out of touch or not overly concerned with price but I just got a new 1176LN at GC for $1700, that piece will out live me and sounds great. Compared to some of the boutique stuff I think that's reasonable.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'll just note that some people have found the double-units (2-1176, LA-610, 6176, 2-LA-2, 2-610) to be compromised re: power supplies and transformers vs. the single-units (Solo 610, 1176LN, LA-2A, etc.). I only have the single units which I am happy with...what I've heard out of double-units ain't chopped liver either, but maybe deserves a closer comparison before making judgments on the whole company.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

UA has a $200 rebate on the 6176 going til the end of the year...with the right deal, one could get in to it for about 2 grand right now.
Old 5th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
I think UA stuff is awesome and I don't think the Purple 1176 is better then the UA ri. I have a pair of 1176's and a pair of La3a's and a La2a and 2-1176 in my studio in Texas. Don't believe everything you read anywhere. UA gear is in damn near every studio on planet earth.
Yup, have a blue stripe and a LN, best compressors I ever owned, the 525 is still a smokin compressor for post vocals with that nice color, BUT the UA is better, it has that stamped name......UA, it's not the name it's the sound.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Absolutely LOVE my 6176.

I don't think its any worse than double-single 610 + 1176.

The thing with the 610 is that you really really have to work the sweet spot. It does have its own sound, but you can pretty much tweak it to have a totally different color.

At first I was all gain-stage conservative, but thats not what this baby likes. IF you play it conservatively, I agree that the preamp is not super-duper exciting. But thats not where the magic happens.

Remember it has 5 stages of gaining, and a delight to mangle any signal. Plus a mic/line fixed impedance switch to add even more tone. Love it!
Old 6th May 2012
i also have the 2108 and 2192 .. love 'em both ..

as stated earlier, UAD Hardware rules!
📝 Reply