The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what brooklyn studio is this?
Old 18th November 2009
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I've seen videos on blakroc's website.

great great job! congrats!

Can you say me why did you use a SM57 on vocals?

I've seen this with mos def's vocals and some other one but I don't remember.

Was it only for testing or did you record it???
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by achaiss View Post
I've seen videos on blakroc's website.

great great job! congrats!

Can you say me why did you use a SM57 on vocals?

I've seen this with mos def's vocals and some other one but I don't remember.

Was it only for testing or did you record it???
The main vocal was recorded with a U47. The hype tracks were recorded with an SM57 in mos's case because he wanted to rock it handheld and I wanted the ad lib's to have a different color going in. tube pre getting hit hard... it distorts like crazy when he would eat the mic... that gave a perfect "block party" kind of sound system blowout sound...
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHamilton View Post
The main vocal was recorded with a U47. The hype tracks were recorded with an SM57 in mos's case because he wanted to rock it handheld and I wanted the ad lib's to have a different color going in. tube pre getting hit hard... it distorts like crazy when he would eat the mic... that gave a perfect "block party" kind of sound system blowout sound...
OK, really good thing!

but I've seen Mos singing in 57 during a long time... the hype track was singing all along main track or did you edit it after????

Maybe I don't understand exactly what is the hype track because I'm french and my english is so... ...

thanks Joel.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

that is a sick track!!!
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by achaiss View Post
OK, really good thing!

but I've seen Mos singing in 57 during a long time... the hype track was singing all along main track or did you edit it after????

Maybe I don't understand exactly what is the hype track because I'm french and my english is so... ...

thanks Joel.
Your english is much better than my french!!!

the "hype track" meaning the freestyle ad lib track. like a double of the whole song, but with more freedom to do whatever you want rhythmically.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Great studio, great sounds! Im jealous...!

As someone who used to work in a tech shop, I know what gear looks like on the inside after it's been in a smoking environment. If a few of your clients smoke, no problem. Leave a mixer in a smoking nightclub for 10 years, not so good. So smoke em if you got em, especially if it looks good on the video!
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHamilton View Post
Your english is much better than my french!!!

the "hype track" meaning the freestyle ad lib track. like a double of the whole song, but with more freedom to do whatever you want rhythmically.
ok
now I see what you say.

Thanks for your answer and congrats again for your studio and your work on blakroc.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear