The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing Back Into ProTools After Hardware Inserts
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

Mixing Back Into ProTools After Hardware Inserts

Hello,
When Recording To Disc in PT, if you go out to some hardware (comp/EQ) before recording a mix back into PT, do you like to use different converters than the PT 192 interface? Or just use the Digi 192 to record the mix?
Thanks
Old 10th November 2009
Well, not just to record the 2mix but to do everything from tracking to mixing to using outboard gear as inserts, etc., I use two Lynx Aurora16's with the LT-HD card. No Digi 192 in my studio.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

192's are fine and have been used on countless albums and films.

In a mix situation you have much much much bigger fish to fry than whether or not the 192 is detrimental to your mix.
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

True; just hoping to see what some preferences are with hardware then RTD.
I heard a very good engineer say he wouldn't use his 192 to get back in the box.
Thanks
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I'll use 192's converters if they're clocked to an Apogee clock. Yes they sound ok, but others sound better. I've noticed a bit of low end augmentation with my Apogees as they go in the box. I'm going to do a bunch of sample tests to see if its going in that does it, or if coming out of the box does it as well. And either way, what is the effect of going in and out of the box say... 100 times? Where does the time go? Mostly on this damn forum...
Old 10th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Williams View Post
True; just hoping to see what some preferences are with hardware then RTD.
I heard a very good engineer say he wouldn't use his 192 to get back in the box.
Thanks
Even very good engineers sometimes get fooled by their own brains though.

Not to say an external converter the quality of a lavry won't make some difference...but there's plenty of other things to spend your money on that will improve things more.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear