The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How many channels for drums?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

How many channels for drums?

What's the most channels you've tracked for drums? I typically run 20 (metal)
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think I used 12 of them in the mix, and of those 5 of them (toms,ride,hats) were aggregate mics that were muted for silence between strikes.

Oh, and this is a metal track with 2 kick drums and way too many dumb aux things.

Neil
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

23 for a metal album. I am starting tracking this bands next album in a week and this time we will only use 13-15 max.
Old 10th November 2009
8. 2 toms, 2 overheads, kick, snare top and bottom, and hi-hat. If I had a bigger tracking space I'd consider some rooms.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

I think the most I did was 10. I think I ran out of mics at that point lol.heh
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

i like from between 8-16. i can do 24, but i like those for scratch instruments and vox.
i am surprised that the guys who do more than 16 don't have a ton of phasing issues.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

I recently did 24 and the guy still wanted to add a couple of tracks.... I was about to commit suicide
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Kick, snare, one for each tom, OH L/R, room L/R. Sounds good every time, and even on 6-piece kits I'm still only at 10 tracks. Most of the time I'm doing 4-piece kits though, and sometimes I don't even mic toms if they sound good through the OHs and rooms, so only 6 in those cases. Less is more when it comes to micing drums (but, as always, YMMV).
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

Probably about 18, maybe 20. This weekend I'm doing drums and I'm gonna use 2 well placed ribbon overheads and 1 valve outside the kick. Im gonna make the drummer mix himself and record it to 2 channels. If it really doesn't work, we might go for spot mics, but I'm gonna try and avoid it if I can. I love natural ambience on a kit, when it right - its perfect.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanface View Post
Probably about 18, maybe 20. This weekend I'm doing drums and I'm gonna use 2 well placed ribbon overheads and 1 valve outside the kick. Im gonna make the drummer mix himself and record it to 2 channels. If it really doesn't work, we might go for spot mics, but I'm gonna try and avoid it if I can. I love natural ambience on a kit, when it right - its perfect.
ribbons as OH are awesome for being able to grab the whole kit. if i had only 4 mics: pair of fatheads on the OH, kick, and snare!
Old 10th November 2009
8, but usually 3 so it was a lot
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Up to 14 for a while. Now I don,t use the room mics so its 9 or 10. My dream is to ween off using drumagog on the kick and snare.
GT.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 View Post
ribbons as OH are awesome for being able to grab the whole kit. if i had only 4 mics: pair of fatheads on the OH, kick, and snare!
Still trying to figure how can many people love fatheads or r121's as OH's. Don't they sound too dirty on the cymbals or is it just me ?!?
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

It depends for what kind of genre...

I tend to use 11 channels with a rock oriented sound (4 pieces kit)
kick (in-out)
snare (top-bottom)
tom1
floor
hi hat
2 x OH
2 x room

4 to 8 channel max for a jazz kit..

but that's just me..

Bests,

Cheu
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

2 kick drums ---2
2 snares --4

4 toms --4

overheads -- 3
hat --1
room --2

Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

The most channels of drums I've recorded was about 10, and then a few more for percussion. But during mixing I didn't end up using all of them..

I'm just waiting for someone to say "I've never used more than ONE mic for drums!"
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ten..

Kick,snare top,snare botton, 3 toms,overheads, hi hat,room
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Most I've used, probably 16 or so. But usually not near that. 3-6 max generally. Sometimes just one though! Lately been digging two overheads, snare and kick. Height of OH mics depend on room and vibe I looking for. I try to get my sound from the OH mics, then use the snare/kick to fill in the gaps. Not for metal though, of course. The stuff I do is generally more of a Steve Jordan, Brian Blade kinda vibe, with the occasional Bohnam thing thrown in.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear