The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New firewire input device - How will I power my monitors?
Old 9th November 2009
Here for the gear

New firewire input device - How will I power my monitors?

I've been looking to spend in the ballpark of $700 on a new firewire input device because I need to be able to multi-track drum recordings....

Over the last 5 or 6 years I've managed to scrape by with a Digitech GNX4:
HTML Code:
http://www.digitech.com/Classic/GNX4.php
, which has proven to be one hell of a durable and functional workstation. However, the preamp just isn't cutting it anymore, I need to upgrade.

Call me a n00b, but with the ones I've been considering ( Lexicon FW810 S, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Presonus Firestudio Tube ) I'm starting to wonder why none of these have XLR out. My lame old GNX has balanced XLR outs, so once I upgrade, how will I connect my monitors? Am I supposed to get XLR -> 1/4" line converters? Don't you lose sound quality doing that?

Thanks,
-Aaron
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

you can get a digi oo2r for less than that. with the money you "save", you'll be able to afford the TRS-XLR adapters
Old 9th November 2009
Jam
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingImplied View Post
Am I supposed to get XLR -> 1/4" line converters? Don't you lose sound quality doing that?

Thanks,
-Aaron
You could get a plug convertor but I'd suggest just getting some new cables.

Without checking the units you're looking at, I'd guess the outputs are TRS ( Tip, Ring,Shield ) jacks. Which for most purposes are identical to an XLR.

From a manufacturer's point of view TRS jacks take up less space on the panel and offer the same performance electronically.

So to summarise I'd suggest, after the appropriate research, TRS to XLR cables.

James
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooz View Post
you can get a digi oo2r for less than that. with the money you "save", you'll be able to afford the TRS-XLR adapters
That's a good idea, why be productive when you can spend your time learning a new DAW?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear