The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Level and pad control on A Designs MP2-A query...
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Addict

Level and pad control on A Designs MP2-A query...

I'm a bit confused how the level control, fixed gain, and - 20 pad all interact on this preamp. If it has fixed gain at 60 how does one record with sensitive SDC mics even with the - 20 db pad engaged?

I usually require 30db, maybe 35db max for recording acoustic guitar with a Chameleon Labs TS-1 SDC mic pointed where the neck joins the body of the guitar, so if the lowest gain on the MP2-A is 40db then even this would seem like overkill for me, no?

I've heard alot about how the MP2-A sounds great with ribbons, and at 60db I'm sure it does, but I just don't see how this preamp is suitable for sensitive SDC mics that I usually give about 25 - 35db gain. Somebody please enlighten me!
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Addict

What do you mean fixed gain? It has up to 60dB of gain. That is with the level control full up and the pad off. The gain is not fixed. It handles condensers just fine-- engage the pad if need be and adjust the level as needed
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Addict

I've looked into it more since the original post and it seems when you turn the unit on it powers up at 60db gain, and the more you turn up the level the more it actually attenuates the gain, like a pad. Is this right? So the level control is like a variable pad, whereas the - 20db is a fixed pad. Thats what it seems to me anyway, anyone else want to chime in? Peter?
Old 9th November 2009
Here for the gear

I think you've found a problem that isn't there. There's no problem to have little gain with the mp2-a. And it does sound great.

If it's correct to describe the gain knob as a variable pad I don't know.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear