The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ribbon with tight low end for el guitars
Old 9th November 2009
  #1
Ribbon with tight low end for el guitars

Hello , i`m looking for complementary mic for my SE Ribbon.It has very nice natural top , a bit less defined mids and rather flubby bass (although bass is much better than other ribbons).Which ribbon( except Royer of course )has good tight bass and handle high SPL`s? There are some models with tight bass response like AEA 92 or Beyer M260 but i`m not sure if they could fulfill other conditions like high SPL.What about cheaper ribbons with Lundahls transformers etc? I don`t know Fathead microphone and i can judge only from samples but it has exagerated lows in my opinion....
Old 9th November 2009
  #2
Gear Addict
 
jonnymac's Avatar
 

beyer m160

just recently got a beyer m160 and LOVE it.
its a perfect combo for my divided by 13 amp.
Old 9th November 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Slikjmuzik's Avatar
 

I love my AEA R92. Sounds perfect with an sm7b or 421 blended in. Only the dynamic ever gets switched out, the r92 always stays...no mater what. It can handle being right up on the grill no problem.
Old 9th November 2009
  #4
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

I agree the sE R1 ribbon has less low end flub than most ribbons.

Having said that, the AEA R92 is the microphone you're asking for.

For close guitar cab mic'ing it delivers the goods.

Serious up, yo.

War
Old 9th November 2009
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I agree the sE R1 ribbon has less low end flub than most ribbons.

Having said that, the AEA R92 is the microphone you're asking for.

For close guitar cab mic'ing it delivers the goods.

Serious up, yo.

War
Hey War thanks for input , i know you`re SE enthusiast any similar results with cheaper ribbons?
Old 9th November 2009
  #6
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek 68 View Post
Hey War thanks for input , i know you`re SE enthusiast any similar results with cheaper ribbons?
No, and the sE R1 isn't cheap either...about the same as an R92!

The R92 is uniquely suited for guitar cab.

War
Old 9th November 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Sigma's Avatar
bk5 b
Old 9th November 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Slikjmuzik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
No, and the sE R1 isn't cheap either...about the same as an R92!

The R92 is uniquely suited for guitar cab.

War
That R92 is also really good on vocals and as a single overhead.
Old 9th November 2009
  #9
Gear Addict
 
beanface's Avatar
 

Got a custom ribbon (thomann rb 500 case) with everything ripped out, new magnets, hand cut ribbon, cinemag tranny, silver wiring & tuned ribbon. For guitars I've heard nothing better + it cost me les than £300!
Old 9th November 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Apex 205. No flubbery. About 7 inches directly in front of the speaker. Sounds very similar to a 57 but smoother highs.

Very inexpensive.
Old 9th November 2009
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by los marbles View Post
Apex 205. No flubbery. About 7 inches directly in front of the speaker. Sounds very similar to a 57 but smoother highs.

Very inexpensive.
Apex 205 with mods -that`s i wanted to hear have you compared this mic to another ribbon?
Old 9th November 2009
  #12
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
bk5 b
lol. ....I'll agree with the proud owner.....

Old grey M260N's are also very nice.
Old 10th November 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 
fakiekid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Having said that, the AEA R92 is the microphone you're asking for.

For close guitar cab mic'ing it delivers the goods.
this .

or the cheaper alternative, try a beyer M260.
Old 10th November 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
m160 (but not too loud)
Old 10th November 2009
  #15
The AEA R92 is awesome. I agree.

The Beyer M160 is also awesome. Agree there too.

But not when you switch to the R84, and move it further away from the speaker.

Some very amazing electric GTR sounds will find you.

Though, I like all of these microphones, depending on the day of the week of course.
Old 10th November 2009
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Would it be too much to ask for a high gain shootout from someone? I love ribbons but have never been able to hear any kind of a shootout between any of them. I've had a Fathead II and currently have a Royer R121 but would love to hear how the others stack up on high gain.

If anyone can do it that would be AWESOME.
Old 10th November 2009
  #17
Gear Addict
 
beanface's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa4x12er View Post
Would it be too much to ask for a high gain shootout from someone? I love ribbons but have never been able to hear any kind of a shootout between any of them. I've had a Fathead II and currently have a Royer R121 but would love to hear how the others stack up on high gain.

If anyone can do it that would be AWESOME.
Yeah, I could post up some stuff from a session this weekend. Its not going to be scientific or anything, but it can give some good examples. Its Brit-rock, so heavy - but not ear bleedingly.
Old 10th November 2009
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanface View Post
Yeah, I could post up some stuff from a session this weekend. Its not going to be scientific or anything, but it can give some good examples. Its Brit-rock, so heavy - but not ear bleedingly.
That would be awesome man. I'm not looking for scientific... just same room same source so I can base character off of each other.

Anyway yeah that would be awesome!
Old 10th November 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
larry b's Avatar
 

I gotta x2 on the AEA R92 and the Beyer M160.

Both excellent choices.

thumbsupthumbsup
Old 10th November 2009
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
The AEA R92 is awesome. I agree.

The Beyer M160 is also awesome. Agree there too.

But not when you switch to the R84, and move it further away from the speaker.

Some very amazing electric GTR sounds will find you.

Though, I like all of these microphones, depending on the day of the week of course.
AEA R84 is Pete Townshend favorite microphone for acoustics , it impresses me and it is classic.From these samples http://www.***************.com/jamroomsessions_home.php
M160 sounds to me the best , AEA R84 is second.But bothe have weak sides - one is very fragile , second is too boomy with close recording....
Old 10th November 2009
  #21
Lives for gear
 
frans's Avatar
My Beyerdynamic M260 has not that much bass. Sounds like a lowcut @ 120Hz. Beware of the M260 with switches. Too much trouble.
Old 26th November 2009
  #22
SE ribbon vs Royer

here you can find my today`s test - the same take recorded with both microphones
Royer 121 vs SE Ribbon on electic guitar
Old 9th December 2009
  #23
Gear Maniac
 

Too late?

Well,
I use SM7 and Beyer M160.

SM7 usually for more clean sounds and M-160 for high overdriven guitars and high gain. Really both work fine for clean and dirty sound.

M160 ribbon has tight low end. Clear, definied and tight low end.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump