The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clarity and depth of the 70's vs DAW and hard drive: Is it possible... Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

And make some pretty mistakes...... gosh! Where's the glory!?

he he he.

But really!

Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

Or at least some attractive and ovious hard edits. Where's the fun people, I mean if we can all do it perfect....... then why bother? I dare someone to mix a vanishing kick drum due to phase issues but make it random and artsy.

steelyfan

Old 4th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Or at least some attractive and ovious hard edits. Where's the fun people, I mean if we can all do it perfect....... then why bother? I dare someone to mix a vanishing kick drum due to phase issues but make it random and artsy.

steelyfan

heh
Old 10th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraVibe View Post
What is the recipe of the great clarity and 3-dimensional sound of the 70's? Modern recordings with big budgets sound muddy and shallow and when you crank up the volume...it gets even worse...you know what I mean!

Some producers say it is the musicians...no I don't think so, there are many great musicians all over the world now days. Some say it is the vintage analog consoles and gear, however, many big studios still use them. So what the heck is it?

1. Is it the tape

2. The analog consoles and gear

3. The engineers and the mix methods

4. Something else?

Can we get this sound with the best converters, preamps, a Daw a drive?

Is it possible?
One area is dynamic range,(headroom), via hand-built discrete circuits and high quality iron. IC chips, due to their low cost and ease of application, led to the evolution of circuits that produced poor overload characteristics and distortion. It is common to find recordings of this period with dynamic range approaching an order of magnitude greater than the best efforts of today.
Old 11th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
For instance. I adore Kate Bush's The hounds of love... but Never Forever kicks it's ass sonically into a cocked hat... If i want to impress someone with how good a recording can sound, that's the one that gets stuck on the turntable..
Sonically, Never For Ever on a decent playback system puts any modern mainstream album I've heard to shame. One can get lost in that depth and clarity, artistry in the arrangement. Color everywhere. Wide dynamics, bass.

But in defense of Hounds Of Love, some of it sounds pretty darn good in it's own very different way. But yeah great as the album is musically, it's not in the same league sonically as NFE.
Old 18th October 2011
Here for the gear

Eagles, Steely, Toto Little River Band , Fleetwood

Eagles, Steely, Toto , Little River Band , Fleetwood Mac , Led Zep , ... no one even has a decent system to play stuff on anymore . You don't see a good stereo as part of the modern living room anymore . . .
Old 18th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrasonics View Post
One area is dynamic range,(headroom), via hand-built discrete circuits and high quality iron. IC chips, due to their low cost and ease of application, led to the evolution of circuits that produced poor overload characteristics and distortion. It is common to find recordings of this period with dynamic range approaching an order of magnitude greater than the best efforts of today.
Not because of circuit limitations but recording techniques. Dynamic range is all but absent in newer releases because of the people, not the gear.

Yes, some older discrete circuits did have extra output levels over standard opamps running on + - 15 volt rails. However, that extra level exceeds + 27 dbu and is therefore useless in modern productions as no tape recorder or ADC can deal with those elevated signals.

Others delt with this back in the 1970's by the use of current boosting discretes hung on the outputs of + - 15 volt powered opamps, some running at elevated psu rails of + - 24 volts like some older dbx designs.

Today those limitations have been relaxed. Modern opamps are now below 1 nv noise, that increases dynamic range significantly due to the lower noise floor, signals can be kept lower and away from the clipping point which increases the system's dynamic range well beyond what was achievable in the 1970's.

All we need to do is educate to stop squashing everything to death.
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, just might have had something to do with the education, experience, and abilities on all of the people on both sides of the glass. Given the current state of equipment, it is embarrassing to me what gets released as professional recordings and the only reason that I can see sits squarely on the shoulders of the people doing the work.
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

No it is not possible.
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It's true that albums were expensive mostly because things needed to be done over rather than just fixed. Most folks today aren't willing to spend that kind of money.
I believe that this is the most major factor at play. Unfortunately,the biz is soooo concerned about keeping new content going to appease the new A D D world that we live in and I think that the music/production is paying the price.

Sure performance has some relevance,but I think that most if not all performances have to at least be accepetable by the performer and their band mates and sure there might be a lot that don't/didn't give a ****e,but they at least past some kind of smell test. I am speaking of major releases and not budget indy stuff.

I personally believe that most of the "classic" recordings that we love and appreciate,took a lot longer to produce/mix than we are probably willing to accept. Good things take some time and GREAT things take longer.
I know there are exceptions,but I think time really is a deciding factor.

Oh,well,that's my 2 cents.

fb

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search