The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cool voice effect
Old 9th November 2009
Here for the gear

Cool voice effect

Does anyone know how to get accomplish the voice effect on the following promo?
Any particular ProTools plugins that can give me this sound? I'm using a Mac, don't know if that matters.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Link to HBO Promo:
HBO 25th Anniversary Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Concert on Vimeo
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

I didn't really hear any effect per say, just a nice mic thru a nice cleanish preamp.
Of course it was probably compressed and eq'd but he sounded just close enough to the mic
to get a little proximity effect without it being too much. Typical "Next on NBC" type speak. Welcome to GS by the way.

Daniel
Old 9th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbydesign View Post
I didn't really hear any effect per say, just a nice mic thru a nice cleanish preamp.
Of course it was probably compressed and eq'd but he sounded just close enough to the mic
to get a little proximity effect without it being too much. Typical "Next on NBC" type speak. Welcome to GS by the way.

Daniel
Thanks Daniel. Yeah, it sounds like there's compression. However I'm wondering if some one here has some settings or plugins they've used to achieve the same sound. Anyone?
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Addict

the announcer's voice is the most important part of that sound. if you don't have that voice, you won't get that sound. IF you have that voice, just compress a whole lot and crank the low/hi end...
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Addict

Yeah, it's just a really solid VO talent with a lot of compression to make it super in your face.

What about the sound are you trying to nail down? There's no effect on it, unless I'm missing something...
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telejustin View Post
Yeah, it's just a really solid VO talent with a lot of compression to make it super in your face.

What about the sound are you trying to nail down? There's no effect on it, unless I'm missing something...
Yeah, my mistake. I didn't mean to say "effect." I'd like to know how to process voice overs with that sound.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4104 View Post
Yeah, my mistake. I didn't mean to say "effect." I'd like to know how to process voice overs with that sound.
Get a great VO mic and a top-notch, fairly clean mic preamp.

thumbsupthumbsup

It's all in the hardware my friend. Hence the reason why software such as Antares Mic Mod failed so miserably.

That's just my opinion at least. Maybe i am wrong.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b View Post
Get a great VO mic and a top-notch, fairly clean mic preamp.
.... and a great speaking voice to record. Not that the voice the OP has been
trying to record isn't 'good' but the talent must project the voice much
like DJ's talk to insure it is consistant and clear. Way Unlike regular talking
that some people try to do when starting out. Not sure of your situation,
just sayin' it needs to sound right from the start.

Daniel
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

BTW, check this thread at near the bottom for some examples of excellent VO work. Good stuff imo. Nice clean chain.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...-usa-tour.html

Daniel
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head

Very talented VO guy, but WOW is there a lot of compression on that piece.

Everyone here has told you right..Get a killer mic for vo, and a super clean pre. Everything else should be done in post.

For the promo/trailer sound..The big name guys are using Sennheiser MKH 416 shotgun mics. Pre will vary from talent to talent, but the Avalon 737 is one popular pre, as is the Manley VoxBox. Even the Avalon M5 would be great. Depending on your budget. If oyu have a smaller budget, I would suggest something like the Grace 101.

My question is: Are you just starting out in VO, or do you have some experience?

You will find that auditioning for gigs like this, the agent or whoever, will want raw, unprocessed voice. There are producers that will do the final mix and processing. Send in any auditions completely unprocessed. Once something is eq'ed or compressed there is no undoing it.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

It's the voice, the mic (probably a Sennheiser 416, typical for promo work) a nice clean mic pre and proper EQ and compression. A hint of verb could have been added for extra "sparkle" but not for true reverb effect.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear