The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Curious - What's the most expensive studio you've heard of (pop vocal) Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear maniac

Curious - What's the most expensive studio you've heard of (pop vocal)

loaded for the best result for pop vocal. how high does it go? per hour
Old 22nd September 2005
member no 666

For "pop" vocals we would hire out our room for about $1,000/hr. 5 hour minimum, includes qualified assistant... but our room is private so we don't care if we get bookings or not [in fact, we would prefer not to get booked for **** like that... but who could turn down a grand an hour?].
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Apart from Fletchers post , the most expensive music studio I've ever heard of was the Hit Factory, studio 1. You've seen it in Mariah Carey videos. I think the card rate was $4500 a day, that's a 12 hour day. I'm sure people got it cheaper but that was the quoted rate. For scoring sessions it was $6000 a day.
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

$4,500 a day...sure...then you factor in other things..

Engineer-$2-3,000 a day
Producer-$?? This could vary greately, but usually around $30,000- a million a song...
Food-$1,000 a day? It's NYC...Hit Factory studio 1...personal chef?
Rentals-who knows. $1,000 a day
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Sully Sound in Switzerland you have to be married to Mutt Lange to record there.
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
Food-$1,000 a day? It's NYC...Hit Factory studio 1...personal chef?

When I recorded at The Hit Factory they just got us take-out from the Carnegie Deli. But considering the price of a sandwich from the Carnegie Deli, it probably came close to $1,000/day.
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

To clear things up,
Hit Factory, NYC - Studio 1 was 4500 for scoring/movie/video shoots @ 14hr days.
regular session was around $2500 for 14 hr day - no engineer, and one tape machine (3348, A827 or PT - depending on what year u talkin bout)
Now, people, this was book rate - deals were made, as standard in the rental/studio biz - ya book for a month and u weren't payin that much a day, it jumped around depending on weekly rates, monthly rates, and then the MJ session, who booked multiple rooms for months - I have in my record log; there was a 3 day streak where he had all 9 rooms booked. Chorus' being tracked in one room, mixing in a few others... down to transfering old songs from the X-880 to the 3348. He might have booked the 10th room, but I wasn't finished wiring it all up at that time.
Back to the costs - food, if you chose not to take it out of pocket, was usually petty cash (limited by the record label ~$100 a day to whatever they felt they needed), plus some % for 'borrowing' the money, as that was like a cash loan till we were paid from the record company for the session and food, tape, ....
No, there was no personal chef. The closest that came was for large sessions/shoots when they required catering.
see what happens when people go by the rumor mill. But now you got some facts, and we're all that much wiser.
-Brent
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

I've heard upwards of $650/hr for VO and $450-$650 hr for mixing stems.
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for clearing that up Brent
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Hey Brent, no rumor mill, I was there on the MJ session. Good to hear from you. MJ wasn't getting much of a deal at first because no one was checking the bill, ouch !!!! But I think things got better as they went. It may have been 14 hour days but I remember talking with Danielle later on for my own projects and she was saying 12 hour days. Either way it's a bucket load of cash.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSergeantD
To clear things up,
Hit Factory, NYC - Studio 1 was 4500 for scoring/movie/video shoots @ 14hr days.
regular session was around $2500 for 14 hr day - no engineer, and one tape machine (3348, A827 or PT - depending on what year u talkin bout)
Now, people, this was book rate - deals were made, as standard in the rental/studio biz - ya book for a month and u weren't payin that much a day, it jumped around depending on weekly rates, monthly rates, and then the MJ session, who booked multiple rooms for months - I have in my record log; there was a 3 day streak where he had all 9 rooms booked. Chorus' being tracked in one room, mixing in a few others... down to transfering old songs from the X-880 to the 3348. He might have booked the 10th room, but I wasn't finished wiring it all up at that time.
Back to the costs - food, if you chose not to take it out of pocket, was usually petty cash (limited by the record label ~$100 a day to whatever they felt they needed), plus some % for 'borrowing' the money, as that was like a cash loan till we were paid from the record company for the session and food, tape, ....
No, there was no personal chef. The closest that came was for large sessions/shoots when they required catering.
see what happens when people go by the rumor mill. But now you got some facts, and we're all that much wiser.
-Brent
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnyc
I've heard upwards of $650/hr for VO and $450-$650 hr for mixing stems.
Wow, now that is high! Who's charging $650/hr?
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Hey Rob, long long time. good to hear from people from way back when. I never spoke w/ Danielle bout prices in the mid 90's, so I don't know numbers from back then, but I'm sure you remember that one month food bill on MJ.. what was it, maybe you recall exactly. I'm recalling they spent something like $32,000.00. Anyway, you're right, it was a lotta money, but hey, I remmber people buying gear to rent to that session which just sat on the self after the first week or 2; but that was just some o his 'friends' taking advantage of him cause he had so much money. Sad how greedy some people get.
Sorry ya missed the Hit closing party. Mr Duin..er ur, Mr. Black refused to show up, but Nappa was there, and Marcheese was there along with a few of the gang from way back then.
Peace, Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix
Hey Brent, no rumor mill, I was there on the MJ session. Good to hear from you. MJ wasn't getting much of a deal at first because no one was checking the bill, ouch !!!! But I think things got better as they went. It may have been 14 hour days but I remember talking with Danielle later on for my own projects and she was saying 12 hour days. Either way it's a bucket load of cash.

Rob

Last edited by XSergeantD; 23rd September 2005 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: spelling and date correction
Old 29th October 2005
Gear interested

be careful..

ya never know who's watchin'... I heard the Hit had hidden cameras. Didn't anyone find them when they shredded the place.
I ate about 22k worth of food that month.
Mr.Black
Old 29th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
For "pop" vocals we would hire out our room for about $1,000/hr. 5 hour minimum, includes qualified assistant... but our room is private so we don't care if we get bookings or not [in fact, we would prefer not to get booked for **** like that... but who could turn down a grand an hour?].
That is our Studio E rate without assistant. PM me if you need one. If you take one full day, you are entitled to have a quick look at out Studio B sessions 36,000 $/day for two minutes. If you want to hire studio A, you will have to pay in Saoudia Arabic Oil companies (51% shares minimum to make the phone call to our booking management).

The rates includes professional hookers blowing your manhood during takes.

Two month booking, and I fly you outta space from Russian federation Spaceship.

As my guest.

Don't look any further, waste of time.

regards
Old 31st October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TBird66
ya never know who's watchin'... I heard the Hit had hidden cameras.

If that was the case I think we all know a couple of employees who would've been fired or arrested . . . . . . .
Old 31st October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lurk
That is our Studio E rate without assistant. PM me if you need one. If you take one full day, you are entitled to have a quick look at out Studio B sessions 36,000 $/day for two minutes. If you want to hire studio A, you will have to pay in Saoudia Arabic Oil companies (51% shares minimum to make the phone call to our booking management).

The rates includes professional hookers blowing your manhood during takes.

Two month booking, and I fly you outta space from Russian federation Spaceship.

As my guest.

Don't look any further, waste of time.

regards

thumbsup
i booked all your studios for whole 2006.
check your paypal acount now.
please hold you on stand by with warmed up consoles if i am in the mood to come around...
Old 31st October 2005
It is not unusual for top engineers to get sick of some of their clients and for them to put their daily rate up very high to try to discourage them. And then for those clients to STILL book them!

So, some big hitter engineers can be on VERY high daily rates...

Good work if you can get it!
Old 31st October 2005
Gear interested

Inside info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix
If that was the case I think we all know a couple of employees who would've been fired or arrested . . . . . . .
Sooner or later, EVERYONE was fired by the Hit, even if you quit, they told everyone they fired ya.
I always wore an mj mask when I needed to steal somethin, or talk about Troy. Oh yeah, and the gloves came in handy too, even though the sequins got in the way.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search