The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AEA R84 ?
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

AEA R84 ?

Thinking of adding this mic to the locker...I already have a Royer 121 and love it, so looking for some more ribbon flavors and the AEA looks like a winner
What does this mic excel at?
How does it compare to the Royer?
Old 15th May 2003
What else do you have, and what application isn't quite getting the right mic?
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

the usual stuff...SD195,441,441,4050,Royer
looking for something similar(yet different)in the ribbon department.
I love the Royer on Gtrs and some OH .Ribbons seem to play nice with my NV and Phoenix Audio pres and I like how ribbons(or at least the Royer)sound.
Mainly trying to see where the AEA "fits"in,I would love it to better on Vocals than the Royer
Old 15th May 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Saucyjack
Mainly trying to see where the AEA "fits"in,I would love it to better on Vocals than the Royer [/B]
Hello Saucerjack,

Last week, Steve Albini uses the R84 for tracking a female vocalist. His comment will follow

Walter Sear and D.W Fearn seems to like it for 'there's no other ribbon mics that sounds like it' and 'it's got extended bottom and highs found in no other ribbon mic, almost condenser like. Sounds like a winner'

Steve Turre and George Bohannen (jazz trombonist) loves it on their trombone, "It just sounds the way trombone should sound"

Mark Waldrep of AIX Entertainmentuses R84 for tracking Steve Huffsteter's Big band on trumpets, trombones and saxophone. "It sounds so good that we don't have to EQ it. Just leave it there, and it sounds good."

Khaliq Glover, grammy award engineer for Marcus Miller, used the mic for Wayne Shorter and a matched pair for solo cello tracking. The musician said the instrument sounded very natural and rich.

Joe Chicarelli have used them on vocals and liked it for the same reason Walter Sear likes it. He also adds that since he's working with pop music where the vocal needs to shine even more, he has lots of headroom to eq according to his liking without the vocal getting harsh.

G. Massenburg is using a pair for his tracking session this week and we'll get an update from him this week.

I personally have used them as blumlein pair and near coincident on a highschool all girls choir and an opera singer respectively, and got a good result (the acoustic of the room is nice too. Also, I've used them on acoustic bass with great result as well.

I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you with the details. Jules will also listen to the R84 this month and I'm sure he'll let you know how it sounds.
If any of you are going to the TapeOp, we will have a few R84 to listen to.

R84 Zone

Harmoko Aguswan
a.k.a Moko
Audio Engineering Associates
www.wesdooley.com
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

Is it much different than the RCA 77dx? I have two of them and of course would love to have more but can I justify such an expense?

Sigh. G.A.S. tutt
Old 16th May 2003
member no 666

They sound very different than a 77... often in a good way!!

I think if you'll hear one, you'll find it very easy to justify the expense... to paraphrase Frank Zappa... 'talking about audio is like dancing about architecture'
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

Cool,
I've got a R84 on the way(AND a Soundelux U99)heh
I'm so excited I might wet myself......hurry up brown Santa claus
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Head

Congratulaations!

Fine choices for both AEA R84 and the Soundelux U99 (i envy u!)

Let us know how it sounds!

Moko
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

Moko,
that avatar is too cool........
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

This is a weird way to butt in but I have been tossing and turning on which #1 vocal mic to get and had narrowed it down to something along the lines of a Lawson or Soundelux version of either the U47 or the 251.

But I too like the R121 on my electric guitar amps and have thought about what a ribbon might be like for a vocal mic. Could this AEA stuff be my "go to" mic for vocals?

What bothers me is that the U47 stuff is very good for male but not so for female. This has pushed me toward the 251 as a better all around mic. I don't think I can have both BTW as I also have a host of other needs to fullfill.

What is really cool is that AEA is just down the street and they have invited me in for a look around.

Can I live with a ribbon as my main vocal mic?
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

FWIW
In my "research" on the R84 a few people said it much more useful than the Royer for vocal work ,more defined high end was the way someone put it...
don't know if it's a "go to " vocal mic but I'm hoping it will at least be one of the "Contendas" in my mic locker for vox.
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Bob

But I too like the R121 on my electric guitar amps and have thought about what a ribbon might be like for a vocal mic. Could this AEA stuff be my "go to" mic for vocals?

Can I live with a ribbon as my main vocal mic?
Sir Bob,

I personally haven't tried the R84 on female vocalist. However, I've used the AEA 44CX on a female jazz vocalist and before that we put up a Neumann U89 thru Buzz Audio MA 2.2. The difference was astounding. All of us who listen to the difference, pick the R44 right away.

I found that for vocalist, there is never a magical "one mic fits all" (maybe the Korby, Blue Bottle and other interchangeable capsule is changing the trend). I found that if the 'usual suspect' (U47/Elam 251) don't work with the vocal, try a ribbon mic.
Wes claimed that the advantage of having a ribbon mic(supported by Joe Chicarelli) is the ability to EQ the high frequency so that mixes cut through (pop/vocal) WITHOUT sounding weird phasey.

One more reason is proximity effect that is smooth on the ribbon mics, especially IMHO, the R44. The closer you get, the 'warmer' the sound is.

Anyway, hope to hear from other users that have listened to the R84. I know Marshall Simmons have a pair and wants one more.

Moko
AEA
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear